Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Towel Radiator Question
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

In the house I'm lodging at, there's a towel rad in the bathroom, it's a pseudo victorian cast affair with an external chromed towel rail that attaches to the inlet/outlet side of the rad. There are two valves – one on each side @ floor level.

It doesn't seem to work, the landlord (my brother-in-law) is pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this, any pointers on why it couldn't be working?

All the other rads in the house wrk just fine and dandy

It looks pretty much identical to this one

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

does it need a good old bleed?

Is it just for show or actually plumbed in?

steve_b77
    Free Member

bereavementmonkey – Member
    does it need a good old bleed?

Is it just for show or actually plumbed in?

Can't actually see any bleed ports on it.

Don't know if it ever worked, they bought the house in October and now it's gone a bit chilly he asked if I could figure out why.

It may need bleeding as it's the highest rad in the house, thats if there are any bleed ports

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

mmmm unsure then to be honest!

Any heat at all in it?

Maybe the top bolts loosen till the water comes through?

Real pics me thinks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Don't know, personally I think it's a job for a plumber.

Just checked it is that one in the pic

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Is there a bleed nipple on the underside of the very top rail? Mine is similar and does catch all the air. Top rung can be cold but rest warm.

MM

tracknicko
    Free Member

they are air magnets mate. waste of space if you ask me.

steve_b77
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    they are air magnets mate. waste of space if you ask me.

Don't bother me to be honest 🙄

tracknicko
    Free Member

it doesnt bother you that its full of air and thus wont work?

then why are you posting about it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cos my brother-in-law asked me to have a gander

younggeoff

got the same towel rail in our bathroom, there's a bleed port top left hand side of it.

zaskar
    Free Member

Ah the feeling of a hot towel after a shower or bath… and cold floor! eek! :mrgreen:

steve_b77
    Free Member

When you say top left hand side, do you mean the chromed bit or the white rad bit?

There's heat in the pipes entering/leaving it by the floor so it must need a proper good bleed

steve_b77
    Free Member

Found the bleed port hiding against a wall, damm it.

Followed some online instructions about bleeding i.e. turn off central heating, undo screw, let air out & re-tighten when water comes out, then turn heating back on.

The flamin' thing doesn't appear to be heating up much!!

Boiler pressure is at 1.5bar, just under the little red arrow on the pressure gauge on the boiler.

Any further clues, or is it plumber time?

Anthony
    Free Member

You haven't mentioned if the valves are both open?!

Tracey

Are the valves stuck in the closed position

steve_b77
    Free Member

The valves are open, atleast as far as I can get them open, it feels like they're all the way out

Pieface

Are the pipes running up to the rad hot?

Towel rail rads don't generate much ehat anyway.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pieface – Member
    Are the pipes running up to the rad hot?

Towel rail rads don't generate much ehat anyway.

There's definaltey heat in them, not especially hot but more than warm.

He's gonna have to get a plumber out me thinks

midlifecrashes

I installed a similar one, didn't heat up much, maybe 1/4 of the way up on the feed side after an hour. Was obvious there was no flow, took it all off again and found a bung had been left in the join between the rad and chrome pipe during manufacture. Took a good old poke about with an old coathanger to free it. Not likely to be the problem with yours, though unless it's never been hot.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If the others all heat and the valves to that one are definitely on, then shut all the other radiators off and run the heating

spooky_b329

Yeh shut off the other rads. Could be that someone has messed with the return valves normally covered by the smooth smaller cap on one or more of the other rads, and caused the system to become unbalanced. i.e the rads closest to the boiler should have the return valves adjusted to restrict the flow of water, otherwise the water just takes the easiest route and never finds its way to the far end of the system.

By closing the normal adjustable valves off, you will force the water to take the longer route.

Pieface

Also TRVs (normally indicated by having numbers on the nob) can sometimes get stuck own. Unscrew the top section ad there should be a pin poking up. Try pushing this all the way in with something hard, but push it gently (don't whack it with a hammer).

If all the other rads have TRVs I believe that you can just leave he return valve open.

Otherwise sounds like a blockage in the radiator. If so draining it off and trying to flush out should not need a plumber.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Towel Radiator Question’ is closed to new replies.