• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by timc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • towbars & parking sensors
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Am looking at getting a towbar rack fitted on the berlingo as i cant really reach accross the roof to get more than 2 bikes on.

If i have rear parking sensors fitted does this mean i’ll have to get a removable ball style towbar to stop it making the sensors think i’m about to hit something?

dashed
    Free Member

Depends on the car I think – mine detects when you have something plugged into the electrics and turns off the sensors. I had a 1 series BM that didn’t have the software enabled though and that didn’t – used to constantly been when reversing with the bike rack on but was too tight to pay a BM dealer to sort it 😆 The sensors never used to pick up just the towbar with no rack though, but I understand some cars do…

geoffj

Depends where they are. The towbar may not cause a problem, but the rack you choose to use almost definitely will. Make sure you know where the off button is can reverse without them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracey

We have a Grand Picasso, bolted on towball is fine but if I put a cover on it the sensors then pick it up

timc
    Free Member

I have a removable westfalia towbar on my 3 series saloon, it sits lower than sensors so doesnt set them off when attached. I guess as above it depends on the car.

On another note recent experiments have made me realise i lose 15mpg with a tow bar mounted rack with 2 bikes on 🙁

flowerpower
    Free Member

Yeti here. Tow ball alone doesn’t cause an issue, the rack certainly does cause them to scream as you put it into reverse.

I don’t mind it as it reminds me the rack is on (if no bikes to see out of rear window), and easy to turn volume off.

craigxxl
    Free Member

On another note recent experiments have made me realise i lose 15mpg with a tow bar mounted rack with 2 bikes on

On my estate car with the towbar mounted rack it makes next to no difference but then I only have the tops of the bars and seat above the roof. I wouldn’t have thought that on a saloon it would have created that much drag. With bikes mounted on the roof it only knocked the MPG down by no more than 10%.

My sensor are a constant tone with the rack on but since I do little reversing with the rack fitted it’s not really an issue.

timc
    Free Member

54mpg @ 70 without

38mpg @ 70 with

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not doubting you. Just surprised that car body shape would make such a big difference. It’s certainly worth taking into consideration for when I do change cars.

timc
    Free Member

I was equally suprised it had such an impact! 😯

andyl
    Free Member

My sensor are a constant tone with the rack on but since I do little reversing with the rack fitted it’s not really an issue.

at least it reminds you the rack is there I guess.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Neither my last car (4 rear sensors) or my current car (3 rear sensors) pick up the fixed towball. However, the sensors are somewhat higher than the ball.

I did take the option of having a switch fitted to switch off the sensors when I had the towball fitted.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

54mpg @ 70 without

38mpg @ 70 with

Shouldn’t make that much difference. It’s only 2-3mpg on our petrol Focus
    Where are you getting your figures from? Trip computers lie!

br
    Free Member

On another note recent experiments have made me realise i lose 15mpg with a tow bar mounted rack with 2 bikes on

Is it also that you had more ‘load’ in the car?

Only as a friend who had a new 520d was getting +50mpg when on his own averaging 50-60mph, and then on a run to Cannock with 3 bikes on a towbar rack plus 3 blokes and gear it was struggling to do 35mpg at 70mph.

But the same 3 bikes on a towbar rack on my older 535i made no difference to the mpg, at any speed.

And I’d imagine that bikes on the roof would make far more difference, as just the roofbars use to knock my petrol Vectra from 33mpg to 30mpg.

timc
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Shouldn’t make that much difference. It’s only 2-3mpg on our petrol Focus
    Where are you getting your figures from? Trip computers lie!

From Trip, previous experiments using maths (Distance / Speed / Fuel Used) have lead to it being pretty spot on, so no reason to doubt it for other occasions…

timc
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Is it also that you had more ‘load’ in the car?

I have found no difference between 1 bike & 2 Bikes tbh, Similar reading when alone or with riding buddy

b r – Member
    And I’d imagine that bikes on the roof would make far more difference, as just the roofbars use to knock my petrol Vectra from 33mpg to 30mpg.

My mate has roof bars & reckons he looses approx 10mpg fully loaded

Hard to know, 2 bikes on roof facing forward, two on bike side on, either way a difference is noticable when driving!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘towbars & parking sensors’ is closed to new replies.