Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Towbar wiring
  • 18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’ve got a CItroen CT 05 plate, with a towbar but no electrics. I’ve been warned by the local garage that due to the type of wiring system used by the car the cheap wiring kits can mess everything up and end up with an expensive bill. Been told the proper wiring kit from CItroen is £180+VAT +fitting of who knows how much. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks
    Matt

Stoner
    Free Member

I think he’s pulling a fast one.

You need a bypass relay in there I think to stop it mucking about, but there’s plenty of aftermarket kits for buttons to do that.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

So the 30ish quid kits that include the relay should be ok? Any ideas how easy they are to fit or is it an autoelectrician job?

Matt

5thElefant
    Free Member

On my car there’s a plug behind the bumper. You just plug the trailer kit in and swap the existing relay (in the dash) for a noisy one.

The dealership swore blind the plug didn’t exist. the wiring kit didn’t exist and a trained expert would have to fit it. I bought the kit from the company that sold the kits to the dealer…

scraprider
    Free Member

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic98511-1-1.aspx

a forum asking the same type of thing i think.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I think I checked for a plug last year and couldn’t find anything but I’ll have another look. Failing that I’ll get a kit and give it a go

Thanks
    Matt

gcubed
    Free Member

Citroen C5’s use a multiplex wiring system so where possible fit the dedicated wiring kit , usually about £60 from places like Towsure . Should be a more or less straight plug in. Give them a try or any of the big towbar suppliers. Makes a tidier and more reliable fitment.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Just realise the typo in my first post, I’ve got a c2 not a CT, don’t know if this makes any difference

Matt

supertramp
    Free Member

where in the uk are you? if you are close to Worcester I know a man who can. Otherwise try this link for an aftemarket kit to suit your car:

http://www.towsure.com/

Trekster

18bikes are in hope, peaks, where i got my pig

nickhart
    Free Member

Give ccc towbars a ring they fitted a bar and electrics to mine for a couple of hundred for the whole thing. Bit gruff and grumpy but neat workmanship!

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’ve found a dedicated kit for £130, looks like it’s a case of removing most of the interior trim to run plugs under the glove box and behind the lights, looks like a right faff. I’ll give CCC a call

Thanks
    Matt

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Twaddle by the dealer !

Easily fitted by a competent person ! beware reversing sensors though !

Are you happy to remove the bumper if you have to ?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

No reversing sensors so that’s no issue. I’m happy removing bumbper, have had to do it on our smart to change bulbs at the front and spark plugs at the back. Part of it’s the time, the kit looks to be pretty simple plugging stuff in but so much needs to be removed to run the cables I think I might let someone else do it

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

There CAN be issues with confusing the car’s computery bits if you hack a towbar onto it. Fairly significantly too. So it’s not twaddle. There may or may not be a risk on your particular car tho I dunno.

bruneep

I fitted towbar and electrics to an 08 CRV, easy peasy.

The electric kit was plug n go, no hacking required. Had take a live feed off 12v socket in the boot.

Just follow the instructions given.

C2 kits here

http://www.fittinginstructions.co.uk/

User name: towbar

Password: towbar

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Towbar wiring’ is closed to new replies.