Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Towbar Racks
  • fingerbike
    Free Member

Looking to get a towbar mounted rack, (2 bikes Minimum) it's got to really be a lower wheel mount type as full sus and small frame don't mix well on bar through frame type…
    Haven't a clue whats good other than Thule, is this the only brand to look at?

Theres the Thule RideOn 9403, it's just over a £100 there but wondering why is it so cheap compared to the other £300+ Thule racks? really basic frame clamps maybe?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I've got an old one like the one in your link. Got it second hand probably 4 years ago, been abused & still works faultlessly.

Splash-man
    Free Member

That looks a pretty good price actually for a towbar mount rack. I had a similar one many years ago – great, would always recommend it to people.

Another company is Pendle. Similar type I believe.

NickScots
    Free Member

I have the thule, 9503, rack that takes 3 bikes. The wheels go in the grooves then an upside down u bar swings up and ties to the side of the seat or other tube so road or full suss fits. Had it for 6 years, driven to france every year. Only issue is that the bikes slighty rub so need to pack them with pipe foam or similar. It is a tad bouncy over speed bumps with three bikes on.

Here it is on Ventoux.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We've got the same rack, two full sus bikes with weird cross bars meant I didn't really consider any of the hang on ones.

Also thought I must be missing something because of the price difference as all there really seemed to be was the tipping mechanism and a slightly higher weight allowance but I asked at a Thule dealer and they confirmed that was the only difference.

Really pleased with ours, I was a bit concerned at first that I might not be able to fit it alone but that's actually no problem. Tipping mechanism isn't very advanced but it works.

damitamit
    Free Member

I've used a Pendle 4 bike one for the last couple years. It's a bit industrial, but works great!

(No longer got a tow bar equipped car, so its needs to go (cheap) if you're per chance near London)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have one of those and think it's great for the price. Really easy to put on, it clamps on to the tow bar using a single bolt. A basic spanner was supplied but I use a ratchet spanner which makes life easy. Two bikes are easy to fit but three may take a little arranging of handlebars etc. The tilt mechanism is crude and as with any tilt it may or may not tilt far enough depending on your car. I don't know what makes other racks cost so much more because this one has given me no concerns, if I lost it I'd buy another.

Don't forget to buy a numberplate at the same time, you can just bolt it to the built in lighting board.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have a 2 bike version of the 9403 rack , excellent for the money and works a treat but , pain in the arse to tilt etc
    also have a Better thule rack and that can be tilted with one hand in seconds

Id recommnded the better rack for ease of use, but both are superb

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I know it doesn't really help you, but I got this from a mate for £50! Beats racks any day of the week!

br
    Free Member

I've that base one you looked at, and my mate has the same one as Stumpy is recommending.

You'll only buy one, so go for the better one.

tbh any are great, in excess of 100mph crusing is fine and (depending on car) doesn't impact fuel economy too much.

ebygomm
    Free Member

See I'm sure the one Stumpy has recommended is better than the 9403, but it's three times the price and I can't believe it's that much better to justify the extra cost.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've had an Atera rack for a few years & it's been ace. I particularly like the fact that it has a solid base which gives the bikes a bit of extra protection.

Aidy
    Free Member

I've used a Pendle 4 bike one for the last couple years. It's a bit industrial, but works great!

(No longer got a tow bar equipped car, so its needs to go (cheap) if you're per chance near London)

I'd be pretty interested if it was for the right kind of mounting… (and I'm near London).

MarkN
    Free Member

I know it doesn't really help you, but I got this from a mate for £50! Beats racks any day of the week!

No 3rd/4th lane of the motorway though…

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/16293.aspx

sweepy
    Free Member

No personal experience but I like the look of this one

Bak rak

Andituk
    Free Member

Thule 908. Main advantage over the cheaper models is the clamp. Theres no bolts to tighten or anything, it's just a lever you press down, then turn the key and it's locked to the towball.

damitamit
    Free Member

I'd be pretty interested if it was for the right kind of mounting… (and I'm near London).

Email me…

devs
    Free Member

Asked the same question a few weeks ago. I got the 9403. I like it, it's simple to fit and remove, light and folds flat so easy to store too. I got it on offer in Halfords on offer so it was just over a ton.

ElShalimo

Got a Buzzrack Buzzrunner recently. £185 from Roofbox.co.uk
    Very good bit of kit. Not cheap but considerably cheaper than the equivalent Thule or Atera. Extremely well made bit of kit and only takes 5mins to assemble. Initial fitting to your towbar takes a few minutes but once that's done its really easy to use and very stable and secure.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Towbar Racks’ is closed to new replies.