Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Towbar mounted 4 bike carrier – recommendations please
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Afternoon

I’m just about to get a new car with towbar – can anybody recommend a towbar-mounted carrier please?

It would need to carry 4 bikes regularly – 2 adult and 2 kids’ bikes, although on occasion it might need to carry 3 adult bikes (4 is highly unlikely).

It also needs to have a tilt mechanism so I can get to the boot while the bikes are on the back.

I’d like to be able to lock the bikes to it.

Reasonably lightweight and not too expensive would be nice too, but I realise the old adage of light, cheap and strong –> pick two – doubtless applies here so I’m prepared to compromise 🙂

Thanks for any help.

velocipede
    Free Member

I used to have a Pendle 4 bike rack – bombproof (meaning heavy too!) – highly recommended – sold it when moved to a car without a towbar 🙂

ads678

I’ve got one of these http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/towbar-mounted-bike-racks/zx404-flange-towbar-mounted-tilting-4-bike-cycle-carrier?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xtlamrmxmi&istBid=tztx&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:627838503|agid:32471675884|tid:aud-80976661309:pla-209388756724|crid:112784842684|nw:g|rnd:15535530429213758446|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CKezlYSMmtMCFcYV0wod-iwFvQ

It’s a bit meaty but is nice and secure being flange mounted rather than tow ball mounted. The tilt mechanism is a doddle as well, stick your foot on the lever and lower the bikes.
    I’ve used it to take 2 adult and 2 kids bikes (24″ & 20″ wheel) to the Alps and Pyrenees a couple of times.

ElShalimo

Go to RoofBox.co.uk and look at their range. They have very competitive prices and I’ve always had great customer service from them.

Clicky

brassneck

Where are you? Anywhere near N.W. Hants? I have a MaxxRaxx I may no longer be requiring, including 2-3 adaptors, but I’m not posting it as I doubt I can carry it to the PO 🙂

It’s been a decent option – (would be cheap & strong..) – but I have a van now, with a Fiamma so not likely to need it again

MoreCashThanDash

Atera Strada 3+1 here. Takes 4 adult bikes – if you twist the bars, are careful with pedals and you might need some pipe lagging in places, but the sliding mechanism for boot access is brilliant.

wwaswas

I’d check the nose weight limit on the towbar too.

Kids bikes often way more than a decent mtb and you’ll be looking at a limit of probably 30lb/bike after you take the rack weight off the limit.

MoreCashThanDash

Our nose weight limit is 75kg on an Octavia. Strada is 15kg, left 15kg per bike.

muzzle
    Free Member

Thanks for advice so far – any other specific recommendations would be appreciated.

brassneck, I’m in Sheffield so not really handy to pick up. Thanks anyway.

matt_outandabout

We have a Thule Euro Classic with fourth bike addition.

It is solid, quick to fit and use, and has worked well for a good few years. I can stand on it, without flex, and I am 90kg…
    It is a bit narrow for wider bikes/forks.

Our Galaxy and the Thule have a 75kg limit – and the rack weighs 21kg…We are *just* within limits with the rack loaded.

Tracey

We have a Thule 903 with the fourth bike attachment. Had it for ten years and it’s been all over the UK and the Alps with four bikes on it. Gets used most weekends when we aren’t in the camper. If we were to buy again it would be the newer version. It’s still as solid as the day we bought it.

nickclift
    Free Member

Muzzle, have a word with Armstrong, he’s got a Thule one, same car too!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a Thule 3 bike rack, my dad has one of Roofbox.co.uk’s Buzz racks and I’d say it was a bit nicer than my equivalently priced Thule.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_buzz_quattro_tilting_4_bike_carrier_no_brp204/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5Jvj%60

muzzle
    Free Member

Muzzle, have a word with Armstrong, he’s got a Thule one, same car too!

You know I already know that, right? 🙂

nickclift
    Free Member

I know what your memories like now you’re getting towards mid 40s

littlerob

I have a Thule towbar mount (3 + 1) and what I’ve found is:

1. The position of the exhaust pipes on my car (XC90) has melted and deformed the ratchet-strap mounting point on the first 2 bike positions, so I have t ouse an alternative strap.

2. For such a big car the bar is very low giving poor ground-clearance when 4-up. We quite often ground going up steep inclines (e.g. our own driveway).

For such an expensive bit of kit I’ll give it 6/10.

singletracksurfer

I have a virtually brand new Witter ZX404 for sale which does exactly what you want. Only used it once between vans. In Reading area, £200. Email in profile if you’re interested.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Towbar mounted 4 bike carrier – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.