Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Towbar bike racks – what else other than Thule?
  • DickBarton

Got a new vehicle and thinking of putting a towball on and using a towball rack – but the price of towbar and rack is eye-watering – considering I’ve got roof racks. So what else is out there that isn’t Thule priced…for 3 bikes.

I’m not totally against paying the price, but I’m also aware that Thule have stolen most of the market so can dictate the price to a large extent – and I’d rather not pay that much if there is similar out there.

Ta.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Atera

wiggles
    Free Member

Make sure you get the ones that the bikes actually have a “shelf” for the wheels.

Not the ones that just hang the bikes by the top tube, seen a few bikes badly damaged from those.

andyg1966

Pendle, very flexible in bike positioning.

DickBarton

Aye, sorry…should have said, looking for a system that holds the bike by the wheels.

ssboggy

Atera are very good but not much different in price to Thule, have a look on Roofbox.co.uk the Buzz racks carriers are very good and a fair bit cheaper.
    I had a Buzz rack from them but had to swap it for an Atera as i couldn’t get the boot open on a Smax. Excellent service and free returns if you’re not happy.

project
    Free Member

got a new thule tow bar rack for sale, never used and spare light board, just sitting in garage, email in profile, wirral chester.

DickBarton

Atera appears to be the same price as Thule…so a competitor and worth a look, but still eye-wateringly expensive…

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    There was an Atera advertised on here last week for £170
    I’d have had it if I hadn’t just bought a new one.
    It was in Kendal if that’s any use
    Cheers
    Steve

jamesfts
    Free Member

Pendle – agricultural looks but great bits of kit

MoreCashThanDash

Atera Strada here.

Took the view that the rack can get moved from car to car in the future. Over 10 years, cost is negligible.

Plus, when your wife is 4’10” and you have a back that can cease in spasm at any time, roof mounted bike carriers are not a great choice in the long run….

br
    Free Member

They may be expensive, but my first Thule managed 10 years – just got a bit bent/battered by a car running into me.

The current one is a couple of years old.

steveh

Aiston – I’ve had thule, pendle and others and would only run an aiston if i went back to a rack now. Much more solid than either of the above and cheaper. Small company but great racks

mellowyellow
    Free Member

We got a Buzz one from roof box co for our Landy as it was cheap.
    Must say I was very surprised at the quality and unlike the previous Thule one it doesnt rock or bounce. Also unlike Thule not every one has a key (yet).

mellowyellow
    Free Member

DickBarton

I can’t find anything about Aiston racks other than some very old threads on this site…any web links to their offerings please?

andyg1966

Aiston Website has gone, he was a man in a shed so maybe retired ?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have a 4 and 2 bike Aiston up for grabs if anyone is interested.
    A mate is having one of them but the other is free on collection.
    They’re old, tatty and well used but functional and would be fine if anyone wants a cheap (free) rack
    I’m in the North East
    Email in profile
    Cheers
    Steve

chevychase

Just buy the thule rack. They’re worth the cash and will go from car to car.

natrix
    Free Member

Been very happy with my Buzz rack from roof box .co

andyg1966

Watch the bike spacing, some can put bikes too close togther. Probably need 20cm for modern enduro bikes. Wide handlebars often need losening and turning if they or the levers are to not clash on 3 bike racks

aP
    Free Member

We have a Witter rack – its easy to put on and off, and it also can be put vertical when not in use to reduce the opportunity of tripping over it. Seems nice and sturdy, we use it on the back of our T5 as the door mounted rack wasn’t confidence inspiring.

Sui
    Free Member

i’ll throw in a curve ball

http://mft.systems/en/home_en/

They make the OEM stuff – my bimmer one is built out of iron girder or something – not breaking anytime soon…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Set your budget and go from there. They’re all pretty good. The only reason I didn’t go Thule by default was due to cost, I couldn’t justify the cost as I was getting a tow bar at the same time. I went for a buzzrack which was half the price of a Thule, and to be fair it has been brilliant and has some features I think are better than the usual Thule and Atera ‘go to’s’, so great value for money.

DickBarton

Which buzz rack? Roofbox site has 2 and I can’t decide which looks better…in terms of cost the xheaper ticks all the boxes but the more expensive one appears lighter and can carry slightly more weight…

jet26
    Free Member

Also got a buzzrunner. Driven to Alps, Pyrenees, and multiple UK trips 200 miles plus each way with no probs.

Roofbox also carry spares – you can buy pretty much any but of the rack as a spare if needed.

Can’t fault mine. Hasn’t been treated gently either!

Alex

Good timing. My 12 year old Altera Strada DL is ready for replacement. I’ve backed it into a wall twice and my wife’s car once 😉 The towbar attachment unit broke a couple of years ago so it’s a manual drop onto the towbar which is always exciting, it’s getting a bit baggy around the towbar as well and one of the arms has more play in it than I’d like. But being used once or twice a week for over 10 years, no complaints.

Looked at Buzz-racks and the Altera Strada sport which was 50 quid less but doesn’t have as good a tilt. It will take e-bikes tho. That’s why I just bought another DL 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a buzzrack Quattro.
    Cons: heavy. 20kds so a workout to put it on and take it off and you have to be wary of your nose weight ( not an issue with my smax). Also the tow bar attachment isn’t as good as Thule with their single action lever. The latest buzzrack models might be better as mine is couple of years old now. Perfectly safe and rock solid just not as convenient. Also the tilt is not great. Not a feature i need or value.

Pro’s: price, quality, robustness, compactness, I think the twin loop arrangement is a superior design to any others out there.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Towbar bike racks – what else other than Thule?’ is closed to new replies.