Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Towbar bike racks and MPVs
  • MrGreedy

Is anyone succesfully using a towbar wheel support rack (Pendle or similar) on an MPV with a near-vertical rear hatch? I’ve been looking at Zafiras, Picassos, CMAXs etc. as a second hand option but my worry is that it might not be possible to open the boot, even with the rack swung down.

Most of the time I would probably carry bikes inside the car (might as well use all that loadspace!) but for family holidays when the car is already fully loaded it would be useful to have an alternative. Roofbars are obviously an option, but would probably be a bit more of a faff with a tall vehicle, plus a couple of cars I’ve looked at won’t take roofbars due to flash panoramic sunroofs (sunrooves?) and suchlike.

druidh
    Free Member

I had a tiltable Thule on a hatch. The theory was that I could tilt it out of the way to allow entry. the practicality is that 3 decent-sized MTBs on a rack is pretty unwieldy to be tilting and you’d likely give yourself a hernia. Just learnt to pack/unpack in the right order 🙂

redhorse

I’ve got an s max with a tiltable towball mounted rack for two bikes, and it works a treat. The Ford (Thule) brackets that fit to the seat backs (when flat) are superb too for internal transportation. Its possible to rack up 4 bikes stood upright with seatposts and front wheels removed (all the rear seats flat), or my bike alone with our two kids occupying two mid row seats (both back row seats and one mid row seat flat).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Vortexracing

I’ve had 2 x Picasso’s and now a toyota Verso all have used a thule tiltable rack with no problems.

But as druidh says you quickly learn to pack in the right order.

The other good thing about the mini MPV is that you can usually get to the boot via the back seats, this helps when you have forgot to pack somat befor putting the bikes on.

MrGreedy

Cheers guys, very helpful replies. Picasso is the front runner at the moment – one of the best I’ve looked at is an “Exclusive” model with a big old sunroof that won’t take roof bars, so I’m reassured that won’t be a big spanner in the works.

While I’m at it, then, how much would I be looking at to get a suitable towbar fitted? Is it something a mechnical numpty could tackle or should I just talk to a man at the garage (and if so, what do I need to ask for)?

Vortexracing

The exclusive will take roof bars, you have to get the Citroen ones, the thule won’t fit.

Typed from experience

Vortexracing

Towsure and they are not that difficult. probably about £75 – £100 if you fit it yourself.

MrGreedy

The plot thickens…
    Presume the Citroen bars are only avilable through the dealer? Any idea of price?

MrGreedy

Scratch that, just found them on the Citroen website @ £102 (linky). Something to throw into the mix when I’m haggling over price I guess!

jamieandangela
    Free Member

I

jamieandangela
    Free Member

I have a Ford S-Max and use one of these:-

http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/html/atera_strada.html

I have the Atera Strada three bike version and it is simply awesome, very stable and secure and it has little to no effect on fuel consumption. This product is so good that I would not consider transporting my bikes any other way. The tilt mechanism is excellant with plenty of space between bike and a flat back door, in tilt the bikes can be left on the rack and you have total unobstructed access to the boot. Expensive but well worth it.

Tracey

Thule 903 with fourth bike attachment on our Grand Picasso

Dont usually tilt it, the boot is packed so as to access from rear seats

Tracey

charliemort

ditto on Atera Strada here – have the 4 bike vesion on a new shape Galaxy, boot opens fine. Can manage it okay with 3 bikes, haven’t tried 4 but that i reckon would be possible but easier with 2

matt_outandabout

I use a boot mounted rack and pack the boot backwards – the stuff we need is behind the rear seat. In the Touran its one pull and the seat flips down – much easier access. Saves loads of lifting of heavy bike racks etc, and the boot mounted rack is high, so avoiding blocking number plate and lights etc (much cheaper).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Towbar bike racks and MPVs’ is closed to new replies.