Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Towbar bike racks
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Hi all, new car is looking pretty likely to be a saloon so no roof bars,but I can get a towbar factory fitted so I was thinking of going with a new towbar rack.

So any recommendations? I’d like to be able to carry 3 or 4 bikes if possible, and hopefully something I can get off eBay etc. Are the unbranded or Halford ones ok or should we be looking at thule? Oh and all the bikes are full suss,if that makes any difference? We found it was nigh on impossible to get them on a saris bones!

spudly1979
    Free Member

Thanks wally, would you recommend that one then? Is it fittable (is that a word?!) by one person or does it need 2?

Susie
    Free Member

We’ve got a Thule 3 bike one, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Its very difficult to get 3 bikes on it and impossible for 2 fs and 1 ht.

cchris2lou

i have this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saffier-IV-Towbar-Mounted-Tilting-4-Bike-Rack-Four-Cycle-Carrier-/290732257111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43b0fe2f57

it is ok for 2 adults and 2 kids bike , or 3 full sus bikes .

very heavy too and a bit of a nightmare to store .

drove to Wales a few times no issue .

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I would normally say Thule for stuff like this – not necessarily the very best you can buy, but good enough. However like you i’m after a 4 bike towbar carrier and the Thule one is £500!!!! I’ve got my eye on a Buzzrack Quattro. Half the cost, i’m sure its not as good, but for the 5 or 6 times a year i’ll use it i’m sure it will be more than adequate. I tend to use my roof bars and Thule 591’s as mostly i’m only traveling a short distance, but for the longer distances the tow bar and tow bar carrier will be used so the roof mounted stuff can be removed.

Wally

Fittable by one no problem, but It’s the only one I have ever had.
    So I find “recommend” difficult. Replaced the rubber with pipe lagging.
    Has been rock solid for over 10 years. I did paint with hammerite once – as the paint flaked off.

It’s crude, bullet proof, cheap and does job. Tow bar mounts are vastly better than murdering your wind resistance with bikes on roof – that you will at some point haircut. Putting 2/3/4 bikes on the back window is simply nuts in my book.

Sundayjumper

It’s perfectly possible to fit a roof rack to a saloon and that would definitely be my preference for four bikes.

steveh

Will it be a removable or standard flange/2 bolt type tow bar? The latter gives some better options such as Aiston racks.

matt_outandabout

Our Thule was £100 off the local bike club forum. It weighs a bit, but is utterly brilliant and secure. I wish I had done it years ago – the kids load their own bikes!

spudly1979
    Free Member

Sunday, Yes of course I can fit another roof bar, but as I can get a towbar for very little cash, and it won’t be left on, affecting my mpg (I do about 40k miles a year) then I think the towbar route is better? Is there any reason you’d definitely go roof?
    Steve h, it’ll be a factory fitted audi one, so whatever that is? It’s not removable as far as I know?

dantsw13

I have the buzzrack Quattro. It will take 4 big bikes, but it’s a squeeze. If you take the pedals off its fine for 4.

Easily fitted/removed by one person, and rock solid in use.

Jason
    Free Member

Audi tow bars are made by Westfalia. I have a detachable one on my A5 and it is a very neat bit of kit, and is invisible when removed. I am not sure if they are all supplied detachable or not? I use an Atera Strada rack, it takes 3 or 4 bike. A sturdy bit of kit and easy to fit. It takes a bit of fiddling with the mounts to fit the bikes, but once set up is quick to load bikes.

Check weight limit of towbar and rack if you are planning to take 4 full suspension bikes.

andyl
    Free Member

if you already have bike racks then just get a roof rack (check Thule website for fitment options)

If not then worth looking for a 2nd hand Thule tow bar one. I picked up a basic Thule 3 bike (one with uprights not clamps) and it’s fine.

Not sure which I prefer though, but I tend to keep the roof rack with carriers on the estate during the summer (yes i know, 1 it wastes fuel and 2 I have an estate…) and use the tow bar rack on the landrover as it’s a bit high for putting bikes on the roof and the mpg is bad enough as it is!

dufusdip
    Free Member

+1 for the buzzrack but only went that route cos I don’t have aero bars so four on the roof is not possible. Can be fitted solo. Three full suss is fine but only fitted four bikes with two full suss and two kids bikes with 20 inch wheels. Tilts so you can get the dog in and out the estate.

Only downside is it’s big/ heavy and so storing is a pain. Fully loaded you can feel the steering get a bit vague but only only if driving unreasonably spirited, which you shouldn’t with four bikes on the back.

Tracey

We have a Thule one. Had it for seven years, its stable an takes four full suspension bikes with no problem. Fitted with bikes on in a few minutes. They aren’t cheap but worth every penny.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Towbar bike racks’ is closed to new replies.