Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • towball mounted cycle carriers an nose weights?
  • jono84
    Free Member

Hi all looking at buying a 4 bike tow ball mounted bike carrier I’m looking at a “ride on” style one ….. I’m lead to believe the rack is about 15kg an can carry 60kg of bike so 75 kg the car it’s going on will be a Citroen C3 how do I find out if this effects the weight on the front axle of the car ? If there’s 4 bikes on the car too they’ll be 4 lads in it to can I take this into consideration for balancing the weight out ?

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

Have had 3 heavy DH bikes on the back of my Passat, with people and gear in the car it felt fine. A little low in the water though old chap.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no you have a maximum nose weight the car can take, how many folk are in the car is neither here nor there.

You sure a C3 is 75 kg? I would guess it is circa 50 kg max
    http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/citroen.htm
    i very much doubt you will get stopped and checked and I have exceeded mine [ or got close] on a 206 and it was fine [50 kg limit and 3 bikes and rack and people]

Not sure what 4 would do

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So basically 75kg is approx one dead body in the boot of the car. I’d check over on http://www.mafioso.com/forum: they know all this kind of stuff 😉

Honestly having a towball carrier for a few years – if there is someone sitting in the passenger seat: you wont notice the difference.

A quick google shows a C3 unbraked towing weight of 450kg for the lowest spec. Even with less than quarter of that (approx) would be on the car’s tow bar you are a fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Towing weight and tow ball weight are not the same though they are related

It is recommended that you dont exceed 80% of the weight of the car when towing iirc

fisha
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. As for nose weights, its more for balancing stability of the car and trailer than a physical static weight limit. The forces of a trailer on the nose under braking will far exceed the static force of 75kg sitting on it.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Junkward – I know: but speaking practically – it’s fine with a bike carrier. All IME.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I agree its fine but may be questionable legally

takisawa2

Junkyard is correct, depending on the model, some C3’s are about 40kg noseweight on the tow-ball.

jono84
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t explain properly after looking at that list my Citroen has a nose weight of 49kg …. the 75 is the weight of the rack with 4 ,15kg bikes on board …. the car can tow about a 1000kg … is it illegal then to exceed the nose weight or just ‘not recommended’ I can see how having weight so far back can take weight off the front of a car but surely 4, 80kg passengers counter acts that ? Basically what I’m asking is … is it legal or not *

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

You can’t just add up the weights of your bikes, you need to calculate the leverage applied vertically at the tow ball. It’ll be much more than 75kg because a lot of the weight is a long WA158UU behind the tow ball. You’re unlikely to get caught, but I think you’ll find when you’ve then on that the handling becomes very dodgy. If you’re in any sort of accident you’ll have the book thrown at you too.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

No idea why my postcode is in that post, the word I was looking for was “way”.

transapp
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought it’d be too much of an issue, I’ve put pretty nose heavy trailers on the back of 205’s a fair few times with no ill effects.

MarkN
    Free Member

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It’s not a problem.

br
    Free Member

after looking at that list my Citroen has a nose weight of 49kg

That implies if you stood on it, you’d stress/break it.

tbh I’ve had loads of cars with towbars, and would have no idea what the towball weights were for any of them – and also bear in mind that horseboxes and the like are that heavy no way can you physical lift them.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I kind of got around this by mounting my Aiston ride-on rack directly to the chassis – if there’s no tow ball – then there’s no point to measure the nose weight at ;).

with 3 full DH rigs mounted, my petrol Rav4 demonstrated a hint of steering lightness (Two 90kg gents in the front). This would probably be beter on a diesel, it’s fine for AM bikes and is a lot better with new rear springs on the car…

If I could get the same rack in all aluminium construction it’d be double awesome.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘towball mounted cycle carriers an nose weights?’ is closed to new replies.