Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tow hitch mounted bike carriers Recommendations please
  • Speshpaul

Looking to get a tow hitch mounted bike rack. the wheel support type for 3 bikes. With a tilt.
    Any recommendations? Got one for sale?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Thule one & that’s great, 1st time I used it, threw it on & drove 3 hours to the lakes with 3 large full sus bikes, no problems at all, easy to fit as well. Sell quite a few Pendle ones at the shop & they’re really nice quality, but not cheap, but have now started making a tilting version, might be worth a look

duir
    Free Member

The Thule cheapish (£65) one is ok but rubbish quality. A lot of the bolt holes didn’t line up and the light board never worked properly. I bodged it and drive with one rear light out as I can’t be bothered to pay to send it back. On the plus side it stays on and happily carries my 40lb+ downhill bike.

steveh

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk

It doesn’t have a tilt feature but doesn’t need one for my hatchback mondeo and are super solid and better than the others i’ve had/tried (which include pendle and thule).

Tracey

Got the thule one, regular trips to alps and all over UK with 4 Bikes,no problems, not cheap but worth it

Tracey

Speshpaul

Steveh
    Which rack and which model mondeo do you have?

higgo
    Free Member

I have the Thule 9403. It’s the only tow bar mounted carrier I’ve ever used so I can’t judge it against anything else. The Halfords website shows it at £169 at the moment but it was £99 when I got it. I’ve used it loads – short trips, long trips, one light bike to three bigguns. It’s never let me down.

steveh

I’ve got a 4 bike wheel support rack from Aiston and a mk3 55 plate Mondeo Hatchback, LX not that it makes a difference.

It’s my second aiston rack, i sold the first when i got a van then bought another when i got a crew cab and needed some extra carrying capacity for the alps last year. My aiston generally sites in 2 bike mode as the 3/4 versions are a 2 bike with an extra bolt in section.

I honestly can’t reccomend them enough. The website is basic but the guy who sells them is very helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tow hitch mounted bike carriers Recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.