Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tow Bar options for Mk3 Ford Mondeo?
  • nedrapier

Hi all,

I know the options go from cheap to expensive, bad to good, but having seen £500 mentioned on here for a kosher set up for a Galaxy, I’m interested to find out what the risks are of getting a cheaper set up. The car’s worth £1500 tops. Estate, if it makes a difference.

I’m not too fussed about touches like disabling the reverse parking sensor, I just want it to stay on, fit a working lighting board and not have the electrics messed up for the rest of the car.

I’d be very grateful if someone could give me an idea of what I’d need to spend on this, and the pro’s and cons of spending more or less. It’s an estate, if it makes a difference.

Many thanks!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I paid £350 fitted for Westfalia detachable on my Mondeo Estate. When removed you can’t see any of the fittings or electrics.
    You can get them cheaper than that if you want fixed and fitting is only an hours job maximum. Second hand will cost you around £50 upwards and a new electrics can be had from motorfactors for around £10

nedrapier

Cool, thanks.

So it’s a relatively easy job to splice onto the loom inside the car without leaving it open to the elements and having the whole car go nuts on me?

Not that I’ll necessarily do it myself, but if I’d met with teeth sucking and a “can’t be done for less than £450, guv!” I’d like to know where I stand.

Cheers!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Wiring goes through a grommet on the near side and iirc it’s just a plugs inbetween the existing wiring behind the foam where your first aid kit and triangle are. You will need to cut a section out of the rear bumper underneath below the spare wheel well but it’s not visible unless you get on the floor.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Fitted my own towbar to my mondeo estate. Brought a towbar off ebay for £50 with electrics. Was not bothered about the reversing sensors e.t.c. you can buy the clever box thing which is a plug into the loom.

Pretty easy to splice in to the loom.Most of the cables are behind the light on the passenger side inside the car.

There is a handy gromit in the floor for the towbar electrics cable to come up through.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tow Bar options for Mk3 Ford Mondeo?’ is closed to new replies.