Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Tow bar mounted bike racks?
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a tow bar mounted bike rack,
    reviews, pictures, cost, ease of use etc welcome
    Thank you

twistedpencil

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/towbar-racks.php

I used one of these for years on the back of my old scimitar, they were great and felt bombproof, now sitting in the garage waiting for me to fit a tow bar to the current car.

Edit: very easy to take on / off.

bruneep

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paulosoxo
    Free Member

We’ve got a Thule. It’s dead easy to use.

mightymule
    Free Member

+1 for Thule.

Although they aren’t so good when your new car doesn’t have a towbar…

jonny-m
    Free Member

Which Thule ones are you using, and how many bikes do they carry.
    They seem to have a built in lighting board, reg plate etc which is a good thing

mtbfix

Atera Strada. Light. Easy to fit. I had a Pendle that was bomb proof but a pain to adjust for different bikes.

sm
    Free Member

I’ve had a Thule for a couple of years and it the best buy I have made. I used to get put off with the faff of getting the bikes in the car. Now I just throw them on the back and go. Three bikes but that is tight.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thule euroclasic g6 led 929

Good. Very secure. 3 big bikes with a bit of fiddling (hard to get arms thru full sus frames until u suss a config). Nice and low. doesnt impact mpg much.

Bad. Expensive but went halfies with a mate. HEAVY. My gf couldnt get it on th car.

LMT
    Free Member

Thule Euroway G2, as i only ever carry 2 bikes previously on the roof so thought why would i change now i have a towbar.

Rear lights work as lights should and the clip in for my reg plate is really handy.

One thing i really like is the tilt function i can still access the boot with the bikes on the back. Also whenever i stopped at services going to and from scotland last summer got the quite a few requests of what make is that and does it restrict getting in/out the boot, which was surprising.

I did have one negative when taking my med and oh small bikes no problem, but now and then i pick a mate up and he has a larger framed cannondale, he has to adjust his suspension down to 120mm from 160mm as its a bit tight trying to fit the bike on the back.

jonny-m
    Free Member

do any of the above carry 4 bikes…. 2 adults ,2 childrens?

codybrennan
    Free Member
    codybrennan
    Free Member

Mini-review:

Pros:
    1)Light(ish) and v easy to fit
    2)Is mostly assembled when you get it, the rest of assembly takes maybe half an hour
    3)It folds down into a size that will fit into most car boots
    4)It comes with everything needed, including electrics, and all the parts are lockable with one key, and the keys/locks are all provided
    5)It will definitely take 4 bikes
    6)The grips are movable and can be swivelled to grip different bits of your bikes

Cons:
    1)It does weigh 20 kilos, so ‘light’ depends on your definition of same
    2)4 big adult full-sus MTBs might push you over the nose-weight of your car
    3)See 3- you might have to move the bikes about and possibly loosen stem bolts/ remove pedalsto get all the bikes on

hot_fiat

Atera strada 3 from roof box with the 4th bike adapter. About £375. Light, easy to fit and use. When it’s clamped down properly totally stable and secure. Comes with a 13pin plug but they’ll usually throw in an adapter for nowt. The way it tilts and slides away from the boot is genius. Also makes it dead easy to slide back once you’ve finished in the boot.

Will quite happily carry four proper bikes. I had a kona stinky, alpine 160, five and some random cube on it a few weeks ago with no issues. Threading the securing arms through a pile of bikes can be tricky with the early ones (mine) but apparently the new models have more pronounced curves to the arms.

nickewen
    Free Member

929 will do 4 with adapter.

aracer
    Free Member

I have a Witter ZX88 which takes 4 bikes (I had a tandem, 2 MTBs and a kids bike on). Also a lot cheaper than what most are suggesting, but as it just has arms rather than wheel trays maybe a bit more hassle and less secure. To be honest if I was buying again I’d probably go for the similar but slightly more robust Pendle version (still cheaper than all the wheel tray ones) – though I guess one of the main reasons for choosing one with arms to hang on for me was the ability to carry the tandem.

jonny-m
    Free Member

4 bikes on the back of a buzz Quattro…. really? the spaces between the rails look really thin, is there anything you have to do to the bikes to get them to fit? obviously they may have to face opposite directions, seats lowered, bars rotated ?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Well, so far, I’ve had 2 full-sus and 2 hardtails on, and yes, faced them in opposite directions- no other amendments were needed. The bikes fitted on with a little bit of jiggery-pokery.

2 adult full-sus and 2 kids bikes we’ve also done, no problems.

For more than that I would think stem bolts loosening/bar rotation would help. But thats all you would need to do. I think there’s nothing close for the money.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Oh, and by the way- the Buzzrack also drops down if needed.

jonny-m
    Free Member

looks pretty good, anyone prefer a tow bar mounted hang on style, any ad/disadvantages with these types…
    thing is most of the time ill be carrying just the one bike, sometimes two, but only once or twice a year all 4so…

Simon

The Buzzrack Quattro is VERY heavy compared to the Thule 9503 three bike carrier that I also have. You need to check what weight your car can take.

I can get 4 bikes on the Buzzrack easily if they’re facing alternate directions, last time it was 3 adult bikes and a 24″ wheeled kids bike.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Hang ons are ok, but the bikes tend to float in and out when you accelerate and brake, unless strapped up really well. And you need to steer clear of the exhaust.

I’ve tried them all- roof mounted, hatchback-door mounted, you name it- towbar is the way to go for >2 bikes. I didn’t even see a drop in economy when we had 4 on the Buzzrack, no buffeting, and no handling differences.

If you’re just heading out with 1 bike then shove it in the back.

Simon

You usually need a lightboard too with hang on racks.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I for my sins bought the halfrauds 4 bike “premium” rack.
    I read varying reviews mostly shit. However if you have a reasonable constructive mind you won’t get owt for the same price that’ll do the same job.
    It takes a shit load of setting up, imagination, b a Baracus type innovation but once sorted after using many a Thule etc rack it can’t be beaten.
    It’s been from derby to Forest of Dean to Cornwall. Not a bike lost.
    And that’s 4, 26 sers.
    It’s never had a dirty 29 ner on it and that’s why I sleep soundly.

torihada
    Free Member

Thule euroclasic g6 led 929: 4 bikes with 4th bike adaptor. Have carried 2 adult FS and 2 kids MTBs. Also had 4 big bikes on it for 2 trips to the Alps, one to the Pyrenees and numerous Welsh & Scottish trips.

Pro’s: more fuel efficient than when i had 4 bikes on the roof*. can get a roof box on the car. carrier is light. will take up to 60 kg of bikes. it has a tilt function, so hatchback access is easy.

Con’s: expensive, especially with new tow bar. it’s easier to fit a bike to the car roof (as long as you have a mini step ladder).

* for my car I worked out once I’ve done 15,000 miles with the bikes on the car, the fuel saved will have paid for the carrier/tow bar. only 9K to go.

sparksmcguff

Love my pendle – solid lancashire product. However, bought the one that tips down so’s you don’t need to dismount the rack to access the boot. Should have stuck with the basic one as neither a galaxy nor a touran can make use of the feature. Would work fine on a hatch back style boot.

hot_fiat

That’s where the atera’s sliding mechanism comes into its own. Works fine on our yeti and in a mates t5

steveh

Aiston is the only one i’d use now having had pendle, thule and one of these. They’re not quite as easy to use as they don’t tilt but bike fitting and removal is very quick and very solid. They also bounce/move less than any other rack I’ve had.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Thule 9503 here and its great, but I do wish Id gone for something with a quick release mechanism on it, as spannering it onto the tow bar is one more job I just don’t want to do. And when you get it there, having to use straps for the wheels and frames is another faff. I like the look of the stabiliser arms with adjustable holder thingies that jus clip to the frame, and I want some ratchet style straps for the wheels. Lastly, while it does tilt down with the bikes on so you can access the boot/hatch, you need two strong men to do so.

Having said that, its a whole world of convenience and ease compared with the roof rack. It is very stable, a lot quieter thanks to the reduced wind noise and I imagine I am using less diesel.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Jonny- if you’re anywhere near Glasgow feel free to let me know, and come along to have a look. Most welcome.

superfli
    Free Member

Thule Euroride 943 owner here. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_euroride_3_bike_tow_bar_carrier_no_943/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5yMaW

Its solid, and holds 3 AM bikes very securely.
    Folds away well and is quick to attach.
    It is heavy though (15kg), not a problem for a bloke, but maybe for the misses.
    It also requires some practise to hold 3 big bikes on. The arms need changing order (not too tough, but could be simpler) and the bikes need some protection (pipe lagging) between forks.
    Also the Aframe could do with a quicker folding mechanism. Unscrewing is a pain, QR would be much better.

Otherwise cheapish and works well. I took mine to Alps with 1 triple clamp bike, 1 freeride and 1 AM no problems.

jonny-m
    Free Member

No where near, but thank you all the same!

Alex

Another vote for the Atera Strada. Mine has been abused terribly (latest being ramming my wife’s car with it!) but it just carries on working. I carried four bikes on it a few times using the fourth adaptor. Bit of a faff but it’s still super secure.

Had a pendle years ago, electrics were very poorly sealed. May have improved since. Also had a Thule before the Atera. Great rack but heavier than the Atera and didn’t slide, which – since every car I have has a tailgate – is pretty much a required feature.

Alex

This is what I did to mine BTW:

Customised bike trailer. by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

All the bits are available from roof box, although in this case a mate made up some new brackets and we had some LED lights for another project that we fitted. Frame was straight tho even after I’d done nearly a grands worth of damage to the car I hit!

The full horror story is here if you’re interested:

jon1973
    Free Member

slight hijack, but (assuming you’re not towing anything, or carrying bikes on a rack) will a tow bar interfere with parking sensors?

hairyneep
    Free Member

Aiston racks are heavy but solid, well priced and very well made. Bryan is also a good guy to deal with and will modify the rack if you need more clearance etc. Highly recommend them

ratadog

Another satisfied owner of the Atera Strada with adaptor. I had a Tradekar before it but although perfectly serviceable it was heavy steel box frame construction and fitting it to the car was time consuming. The Atera is light, solid, allows access to the boot even with bikes on and as a family we have used it for holidays with four bikes without issue. Atera have a video showing how easy it is to attach and detach. Only issue is that it is expensive but then work out what the cost of the bikes on it is.

Thoroughly recommend the roof box company. Bought both racks and a roof box from them and had excellent service. Their website has excellent advice on it as well. They recommend the Buzz rack as the cheaper alternative and if that was my price range I would happily follow their advice.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have the Thule Euroclassic and it’s rock solid in use, easy to fit and load. The Atera looks to be just as good and also always easy access to the boot when the bikes are on the rack. The Atera has the bonus over the Euroclassic that it reduces in size so when not in use takes up less space to store.
    Before getting any towbar mounted rack make sure the weight of the rack and bikes don’t exceed your cars given nose weight. The towbar or rack won’t fail but it will effect the cars handling and increase braking distances.

aracer
    Free Member

Well yes, but the only difference is it’s not integrated into the rack – not really a whole lot of hassle to clip it onto the bars.

I’m not suggesting that there aren’t advantages to the wheel tray ones, but also disadvantages including weight, size and cost. Don’t find putting bikes on the arms so much hassle, and no problem strapping them so they don’t swing – it’s just one extra strap and takes less than a minute to fit. Starting from a car with nothing on I’d suspect it quicker to fit my rack and mount one bike than to do the same with a wheel tray one.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I have an older thule rack and its awesome , rock solid at all speeds ! , carries 3 bikes with the adapter, its Big, its heavy but a pleasure to use, one handed tilt action with all bikes attached …
    Usually only carries 1 bike now as my lads don’t ride anymore, so bit of a waste really 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar mounted bike racks?’ is closed to new replies.