Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tow Bar Fitting?
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Anyone know how much it would cost to get a tow bar fitted to a car? Im fed up with using one of those strap on the boot style bike carriers because it scratches the bikes and my car unless i'm really careful.

Id be looking for a removable one if that makes any difference?

James

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Depends a lot on the car but we got a "Witter" one (detachable which might be ideal for you too?) for £250. It was almost twice as much from the dealer but using the same parts!!

kevin1911

Yep, £2-300 is about right. I can highly recommend PF Jones – they have a network of fitters around the country.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i had a witter one fitted and it cost about 160quid. the pendle rack i then used was about another 100 and a light board was another 25. so once i'd got straps too i was into about 300quid. was brilliant though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just under £200 on our '55 Focus Estate, including electrics. It's hardly worth buying the bits and doing ot yourself at that price to be honest.

google: Towbarmansouth 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I got mine from tow equipe I think? It was £130 for the towbar, electrics and by-pass relay. My local mechanic fitted it for £100.

Best thing I ever bought for any car.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can get the kits for £75 and then fit it yourself as a relatively easy DIY job if you can tighten up bolts , cut a bumper and do some electrics

ebygomm
    Free Member

I paid £185 for towbar and electrics on a Toyota Corolla. From what I saw of the fitting it wasn't a straightforward easy job on my car, took them the best part of a day so I was glad I didn't attempt it myself.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If the towbar is likely to be used for any "proper" towing then I would definitely avoid a DIY job.

We use ours to tow the boat – any issues would be a large and nasty disaster!

Junkyard
    Free Member

If the towbar is likely to be used for any "proper" towing then I would definitely avoid a DIY job.

yes it is so hard to line up the bolt holes on the tow bar frame with the bolt holes on the chasis /frame and tighten them to the appropriate torque.
    The electrics will be harder for the DIY fitter I assume the bolting up could not really be any easier.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

doing my tomorrow hopefully, i'll let you know, but mine cost me 140 quid brand new

TomB

£250 fitted on my citroen C4, then £195 'buzz rack' 3 bike carrier from roofbox.co.uk, which comes highly recommended.

jam-bo

second hand tow bar from gumtree £25
    hour or so to fit £free
    thule xpress 910 rack £45

job done.

takisawa2

I've fitted a few to our cars. The mechanical side is easy, chassis usually pre-drilled & it is just a case of bolting the thing together. Might have to lower exhaust, some need a bumper cut. Put one on our Mondeo last year, probably as easy as it gets. Took less than an hour to attach the bar, another hour or so for electrics. Mfrs dedicated wiring kits are nice but pricey. Hardest part usually getting behind trim panels. Running a lead from the battery if your fitting a Smart By-Pass relay can be a pain.
    I'd be wary of s/h unless your certain all the bits are included & undamaged. Always a chance something could get left on the donor car.
    We tow a fairly hefty caravan so I'm pretty anal in checking bolts are torqued correctly etc. I'm pretty sure they have to inspect the tow-bar on MOT's these days, (if fitted obviously).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tow Bar Fitting?’ is closed to new replies.