Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tow bar bike rack suggestions
  • ajantom

Getting a new(ish) car with a tow bar already attached, and I like the idea of a tow bar mounted rack. What’s good?

Apart from the normal Thule, etc. I’ve seen some Witter ones, but they look a bit basic. I’ve also seen the Buzz Rack ones (on the Roof Box website) and they look very good for the money.

My main worry is wheelbase and tyre size, as a couple of our bikes are 1200mm+ and have plus tyres. A lot of the cheaper end racks look pretty short and narrow.

andyg1966

Pendle, typically British, basic but very configurable. Get n+1 version, i.e. for 2 bikes buy a 3 bike version and fit 2 positions. This spaces the bikes out and avoids rub.

They even do a plus sized option too.

There are usually several on eBay.

geoffj

I’m a reformed tow bar rack hater.
    Just bought a Thule 918 Velospace for the fat bikes and I’m very pleased with it.

sharkattack

I’m curious about this. Thinking of selling the van and looking for an estate and a tow bar rack. But… I’ve got to carry a Geometron on it. If it’s half as much faff as it with uplift trailers etc. I might not bother.

EDIT: 1328mm wheelbase and 2.6 tyres.

Rubber_Buccaneer

seen the Buzz Rack ones (on the Roof Box website)

I have the Buzz Rack Scorpion with a couple of fat bike kits. I don’t have a fat bike but I do have a long bike with chunky carbon rims and tyres that can be a problem to fit on some racks. It only takes two bikes, is heavy and needs a spanner to fit but the bikes have plenty of room and for me it is ideal.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have an Atera Strada. It’s light, very easy to attach to the car, easy to put the bikes on. It locks to the car then the bits that grab the bikes lock too. But you can just detach the arms from the carrier so it’s not as secure as it makes out. One of the rear lights stopped working, although it was pretty easy to open it up and bend an appropriate bit of metal to fix that. The slide away from the car feature is very good. It sits a little crooked but that could be the tow bar. I’d probably give it 7.5/10.

matt_outandabout

Our older Thule Euroclassic has the problem of wheelbase and thickness of bikes now.
    On older bikes I could offset alternate bikes left or right a bit to avoid clashes of bars Vs saddles, qr ends Vs fork legs etc.
    I now can’t on three of the new bikes, and boost or thicker fork legs / rear frames is causing a real headache.
    Eldest_oab just got a new bike, I’m yet to see if all four bikes fit the rack… Thankfully we can just put a bike or three in the boot if we need.

matt_outandabout

(that said, the Thule is superb – simple and reliable)

Rubber_Buccaneer

sharkattack – Member
    got to carry a Geometron

Mine (Long/Small) fits easily on my Buzz Rack Scorpion with the fat bike kit. Fat bike kit not only takes wider rims and tyres it also takes a longer wheelbase. More of a consideration is how much the bike sticks out either side of the car

crazyjenkins01

Markie
    Free Member

We have an Atera 3 bike while friends we go on cycling holidays with have the Thule 3 bike. If I could buy again, I’d go for the Thule.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have an Atera 3+1 and whilst what is said above is true re lightness etc the +1 part is next to useless if you have big bikes and if the frames are odd shapes then the arms are a faff to arrange to fit 3 bikes on.
    Also issues with rubbing if no padding is used.
    Not cheap and wouldn’t buy again.
    Mine also sits skewed on the tow bar
    Cheers
    Steve

ajantom

Buzz Rack Scorpion

That’s the one that piqued my interest – designed for fat/E-bikes, so longer, stronger, and wider 😉

They’re also £50 off RRP at the mo… Buzz Rack Scorpion Sale

benp1

I also have the Atera Strada, but the Evo as opposed to the other one

It tilts slightly less but has better spacing and takes heavier bikes.

Don’t know about wheelbase size, mine fits my XL Arkose and my L Solaris just fine. Tilting feature is genuinely excellent

How is it wonky? Are you sure you’re not fitting them wonky?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I need one as well. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t there a British company, not Pendle, who used to make them. Always felt that they were a bit like something made by an engineering company/one man band and a bit agricultural but open to modifications. Though the name began with A, but may be wrong, and I am sure it wasn’t Atera.

project
    Free Member

Ive got a thule 905 euroclassic for sale never used spare light board and built in lights as well tilts and locks etc, £190 WIRRAL, CHESTER AREA

ssboggy

Atera strada is great but the wheel straps struggle with plus tyres

chvck
    Free Member

I bought the buzz rack scorpion, my 121cm wheelbase bike didn’t fit at all (tbf says it can handle up to 119cm). My other bike ~118cm I think only just fit. I had to send it back and swapped for an Atera strada ML (I have an ebike) and tbh it is better to use but as I got the buzz for 200 quid it was £150 more. I think that the Atera is designed for up to 140/142 cm wheelbase and I can believe it looking at it when my bike is fitted..

chestrockwell

I’ve got a Thule you are welcome to come and size up if you’re near Harrogate. Open to selling but not actively trying to.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Altea Strada here – works fine with a long low 29er. Not tried with the plus wheels yet.

It was on offer on Roofbox… would have been rude not to 😉

So far it as been very, very good – only a couple of short jaunts so far though.

fatgit
    Free Member

Matts my
    I think you mean Aiston from Gateshead.
    Nice old guy working out of his garage.
    I had a 2 & 4 bike of his. Heavy and agricultural but worked well and cheap.
    The othe bonus was you could get the individual elements of his rack easily and cheaply
    His website is down so not sure he’s trading anymore.
    Cheers
    Steve

jet26
    Free Member

Buzzrunner rack here. Three bike one. Been to Scotland, Alps, Pyrenees with it and never skipped a beat.

If you buy from roofbox.co.uk they keep spares too and will send replacement parts v quick.

Great value for money

mattsccm
    Free Member

Aye Steve, that’s it. Was searching Alston.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Maxxrack/Maxxraxx are also UK made in a shed, over engineered yet agricultural (in a good way). I had one for my last car and it was excellent.

garage-dweller

As a former long term tow bar bike rack user….

Pendle wheel support racks are sturdy as you like but they are heavy, can be awkward to fit and ime they have to come off or have bits folded away (that involve undoing bolts) to access the boot.

The Pendle hang on racks are just as sturdy, easier to put on and off (eg boot access) but you have to be a touch creative with lighting board fitment.

Thule do an express scissor action rack that is good for occasional use but imo is a bit lightweight for regular heavy use.

I haven’t tried the slide/tilt Thule/Atera options. I nearly did then I bought some Atera roof carriers and aero bars.

With four bikes to carry I can get better spacing and easy boot access as well as improved rearward visibility. Yes it makes the car feel sluggish and is crap on mpg but it’s a dull diesel estate anyway and it also doesn’t leave a belting great rack hanging off the back in the car park, which is handy in some locations. Car park height restrictions are clearly an issue though!

ajantom

Maxxrack/Maxxraxx are also UK made in a shed, over engineered yet agricultural (in a good way). I had one for my last car and it was excellent.

Yes, but multiple xxx’s. Ugh, nearly as bad as multiple punctuation marks!!!???!

ajantom

FYI – I ended up buying a Buzzrack Scorpion. £199 + £12 for some longer plus tyre straps.

It fits a 1200mm wheelbase 29+ with no problems – though I had to use the longer straps.
    Could maybe go 20mm longer. They do sell a fat bike kit that extends the length a good bit too, but not needed in my case.

Seems extremely robust and well made. Came with all the tools needed to fit together. Though assembly was minimal.
    Comes with lighting board 13 & 7 pin adaptors.
    Fitting onto the towbar was really easy and straightforward, and mounting the bike was a doddle, everything seemed to be in just the right place.
    Tipping mechanism works well, and makes accessing the boot a lot easier.

TBH I’m struggling to see why you’d pay an extra £100+ for the equivalent Thule.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar bike rack suggestions’ is closed to new replies.