Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tow bar bike carrier on a barn door VW transporter?
  • sam_underhill

Is this a complete disaster? We are seriously considering a camper conversion and there are a lot more base panel vans around with barn doors. As it’ll be a camper bikes will be on the outside so a tow bar mounted rack seems like the obvious choice. Is this a bad combo? I’m fairly sure the Thule carrier tips down allowing access to a tailgate but I suspect the barn doors would be totally inaccessible with bikes aboard?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

T5 owner here with barn doors and a towbar.

Currently have an Atera DL3 rack which does tilt but not all the way to allow the doors to open completely. No big deal – everything is accessible from inside the van anyway and the doors open enough to get stuff out. That said, i think the newer DL3 has a curved kind of rail which slides waaaay out the way and allows the doors to be fully opened.

Don’t let barn doors put you off…

verbboy
    Free Member

I recently bought one of these for the back of our Espace, it obviously has a huge tailgate. Works really well.

Bike Rack

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sam_underhill

Great info thanks. Barn doors are back on the menu then. I just need to find a lightly used, high spec panel van that’s highly depreciated. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar bike carrier on a barn door VW transporter?’ is closed to new replies.