Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tow ball & rack on a small car.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I'm thinking of fitting a tow ball and rack to my wifes Punto as she doesn't use it anymore.
    But I'm curious to know if there can be problems fitting a two bike carrier to such small cars.

Before I just chucked it all in the back of the Disco, but with races every week the 55+MPG compared to the -30MPG can't be ignored.

wombat

As I understand it providing the total weight of the rack and bikes is less than the rating for the towar as fitted you should be ok.

iDave
    Free Member

I've seen thule ball mounted racks on fiat 500's and mini's at tradeshows

coffeeking
    Free Member

Used a ball-mounted rack on my 205 1.1 regularly, worked a treat but you definitely feel them back there – over bumps etc 2 bikes would make a notable sway/bounce. So long as you don't drive like a nut with them on it should be no problem at all.

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

Check the noseweight of the vehicle. It should be in the user manual. Then combine the weight of your bikes and the rack, don't use if it exceeds the noseweight. In most cases you should be ok with a Punto, I would expect it to be at least 50 kg.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can tow with small cars.. just not as much as a big car. A towbar rack would be just fine.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I have a towbar mounted 3 bike rack on my Nissan Micra. No disasters yet…

5lab

if the wife doesn't use it much, why wouldn't you just pop them in the boot?

oldgit
    Free Member

I think I will just do that after looking at the racks about. I just don't really like to take out wheels before a race.
    I think I'll invest in some frame and wheel bags and chain holders.

molgrips
    Free Member

Racks are good..

munkster
    Free Member

We drove to Morzine from London and back again last summer with two bikes on the back of a 1.9 diesel Fabia using a tow bar rack. No problems getting up to the speed limit (bit of a chug on the "hills" but then it always is!!) and the consumption wasn't appalling to be honest.

Towbar racks are great, IME, would always get another one if I changed car I reckon. So much simpler I find.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have a towbar rack for sale if you are interested… They are great – a lot better than a boot mounted rack.

AlexBerry
    Free Member

I have a Grande Punto a cheap towball and a Thule rack and it took 4 bikes to Cornwall from Halifax and back plus luggage, no problems. Keep everything greased and tighten regularly..i've been very impressed with what is a very basic rack…….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tow ball & rack on a small car.’ is closed to new replies.