Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Touristy London Trip & Tube Strikes – Is travel bad?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At the end of August Family FD (Jnr FD is 5) are going to London to do the touristy thing ie Bucking Palace, Natural History Museum etc etc.

We are staying in Lewisham but will need to get around London while the strike is in full operation, and most importantly get to Kings Cross to get a train home.

Is London just as busy as usual when strikes are on, or does it get even more horrific?

Obviosuly we will avoid being out in rush hour, but will it still be packed trains/buses, roads not moving etc?

So far all we have paid out is £75 for train tickets down there, so we are contemplating cancelling and going camping for a few days instead, or is that over reaction?

Ta

simon_g

Should be fine, no worse really than London at peak tourist season and you can avoid the rush hours at the start and end of the day. Allow extra time though, and the fallback of getting a taxi may be harder than normal. And rather than have a fixed list of things to see be prepared to miss one or two things if it’s going to be a pain to get there.

Last time DLR, overground, river services, etc were all running along with many bus routes. Download the Citymapper app for your phone which is great for showing which services are actually running and what your options are to get to somewhere. Lots of stuff is walkable – Lewisham has quick trains to Charing Cross or Victoria which are both an easy walk to Buckingham Palace, for instance.

medders
    Free Member

If it were me and the tube strike was guaranteed (they frequently get cancelled at the last minute) I would think twice about it – esp. as you have to get from Lewisham to King Cross to get home. Maybe look to see whether there are any overland train alternative for some/all of that journey.

No such thing as rush hour – 7.30-10am and 4.30-7.30pm will be pretty hectic (even by London rush period standards) on tube strike days. Buses are not a viable alternative during those times as they get v busy and don’t move anyway due to extra heavy traffic.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

id probably give it a miss. not so bad on your own but navigating a young family around in that chaos wont be very nice.

dknwhy

Just avoid eye contact and talking to people and you’ll be alright.

benp1

It’s very possible to get around but it’s a lot more hassle

There have been 2 strikes recently. I was surprised at the 1st, didn’t notice a huge amount of difference, a few more people walking but that was it

The 2nd one was chaos. Loads of traffic, buses were choas, cyclists everywhere (cycling badly).

I cycled in both times, the 2nd time I got in for an 8am meeting so got to work at 7.30am, earlier than normal yet the choas was worse!

I’d avoid given you have two kids, not worth the grief

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Touristy London Trip & Tube Strikes – Is travel bad?’ is closed to new replies.