Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Touring/bikepacking from Glenfinnan to Kinlochourn.
  • chrissyharding
    Free Member

Anybody done this trip? I am considering it for next weekend.

13thfloormonk

I think it’s been done a couple of times, I’ve done the first section from Glenfinnan over the bealach, the climb is good track for most of the way, however the descent is faint track at best for a lot of it, I remember it being frustratingly unrideable until much nearer the bottom.

From Strathan to Sourlies would be quite broken riding, there’s a very clear path but it’s the usual mix of big loose rocks, mud/water splashes and burn crossings.

Sourlies to Inverie would be largely unrideable until the top of the pass after the river Carnach, it’s a mixture of beach (if the tide’s out) or massive boulders if the tides in, followed by a big sort of tidal marsh with lots of deep narrow channels to hop.

Obviously your experiences may vary! Amazing place but one that I think would be more enjoyable as a hiking trip rather than a biking trip…

A better option might be to head straight through to Glen Kingie then further to Loch Quoich? from there you could head towards Kinlochhourne and head into Lochan nam Breac, there is a much better quality path from Glen Barrisdale which links to Lochan nam Breac, I’ve only walked some of it but it all looked rideable…

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply. I think I may attempt it, the weather is the biggest factor. I was at Torridon last weekend. For a day, absolutely soaked I was.

13thfloormonk

Fair play to you 8)

I spent a few years bikepacking through areas like Knoydart etc. (did a variation of the Cape Wrath trail by MTB) before I eventually decided the ratio of hiking/biking was just too low for my liking. Still a brilliant way to see the highlands as you still cover a lot more ground on average by bike than on foot.

acehtn
    Free Member

Watching with interest as a route i would like to do.

Sourlies to Inverie path. What 13thfloor monk said, i have seen chatter that the wire/slatted footbridge has been repaired, this takes you off the marsh and up to the pass (cluster of ruins there as well) when i used it a couple of years ago it was bad but useable.

The pass is a zig zag slog upwards, depends on skill/fitness and bike weight you might ride some sections then walk most.

However, once at the top you have a good path and miles of downhill coasting 🙂

The B&B cafe at Kinlochourn is a bit quirky, think more farmhouse sideline than a dedicated cafe 🙂 nice home made cakes.

13thfloormonk

Haha, yeah the wee farmhouse cafe was cool, beans and cheese on toast I seem to recall, hit the spot!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Touring/bikepacking from Glenfinnan to Kinlochourn.’ is closed to new replies.