Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Touring with CX bike – some ideas please
  • druidh
    Free Member

Despite my fairly extensive knowledge of Scottish paths and tracks, I’m looking for some route ideas which would particularly suit a CX style bike. Not too techy, a mix of track and minor road perhaps, 2-5 days duration and either a loop or easy access to trains at each end. Any of you suverners like to chime in with your thoughts?

TIA

birky
    Free Member

How about … from Callander take the cycle route by Loch Lubnaig then up Glen Ogle to Killin. Over the Ben Lawers road to Glen Lyon. At Innerwick take the Lairig Ghallabhaich to Rannoch then via Trinafour to the A9. Cross the A9 and take the Gaick pass to Kingussie.
    Someone else can suggest where to go from there …

druidh
    Free Member

Any Englandandwales suggestions?

fasthaggis

How about some of the coastal paths ( + road )in jockland?

I am planning to go right round them next year on my CX bike ( possibly with a trailer).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – you know my easy multiday highland loop don’t you?
    Callander / killin / bridge of orchy / glen coe / kinlochleven / corrour / laggan / dalwhinnie / glen garry / kinlochrannoch / bridge of balgie / killin all road or estate road bar a few miles

Englandshire – pennine bridleway?

crikey
    Free Member

I think you’re looking for long distance bridleway style stuff in England, and the closest would be the Pennine bridleway or the nearest approximation thereof.

I would look at train down to Peak district or even further south, then use the Tissington Trail and the southern leg of the PB to head further north/homewards.

The use of a cross bike suggests that you would be better travelling relatively light, rucksack at the most, so you could carry when needed, and hop on the road to join bits together.

I rode the PB route in the early 90’s from Hexham back to Manchester over 3 days, using Youth hostels and B&Bs, should be doable the other way…

crikey
    Free Member

…I’ll have a look later, but I could cobble together the southern bit from Ashbourne then north through the Peak, and on up to the Dales?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Englandshire – go visiting folk making the most interesting route between them.

I enjoy a nice canal towpath – must be good on a CX. Cheshire ring? Leeds / liverpool? Its possible to do a really big loop over the leeds / liverpool and back across the pennines on the trent and mersey I think

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am guessing you are looking at smooth trails druidh! I use 32mm tyres for road touring! I’d be on 2″+ for landrover tracks…

ton

Colin, i am setting off on a on/offroad tour with the lad’s in 3 week.
    starting in huddersfield, heading up to the lakes, then over the north dales.
    got a rough route planned with plenty of long offroad sections.
    i will send it or post it when i get time if you want.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ton, if you weren’t in South Queensferry last night, your double was.

hels
    Free Member

I prefer an MTB for Touring. By the time I got the panniers on the CX bike, and the start point wasn’t good, the cable pull v brakes were so bad as to be dangerous going downhill. Might be OK for light touring.

P.S and I didn’t go far enough on my test ride to puncture, but CX tires with all that weight on the back can’t be a good idea on stony ground. All IMHO of course…

nedrapier

Wales End to End?

I’ve got a route guide at home. I could have a flick through if you’re interested?

You could incorporate the South Downs Way into a longer ride. Or do it twice. Or once, over 2 or 3 days.

druidh
    Free Member

Ton/neddrapier – I’d be very interested in your routes.

Al/hels – my steed of choice would be my VN Amazon, with BB7s and some 35mm CX tyres. I normally (road) tour on 28mm.

crikey – that sounds pretty good. I think part of my issue is not quite understanding the access issue south of the border.

cynic-al
    Free Member

An ideal bow from your ample quiver!

Oh and when is it that underwater bridge you are associated with becomes visible?

And where?

nedrapier

This is the Wales End to End trail map:

http://www.mbruk.co.uk/mbruk_SarnHelenTrail_details.htm

Del

An ideal bow from your ample quiver!

surely that would be an arrow from a quiver, rather than a bow?…

druidh
    Free Member

Al – the bridge is most likely to be rideable around September. That’s when the water level is drawn down in preparation for the winter season. It’s on Loch Loyne, and the track across it runs from near the Tomdoun Hotel on Loch Garry to the Cluanie Inn. I started at Invergarry and it would make an ideal route for a CX bike. I have a map and photos on my Flickr page if you have a search.

monksie
    Free Member

Living very close to a section of the Pennine Bridleway and riding a cyclocross bike, I personally wouldn’t fancy it over a few days on a cyclocross. Also, having done the Sarn Helen twice, I’d say the same. Not much fun on a ‘crosser after the first day.
    The Cheshire Ring is perfect for a ‘cross bike but it’s 10 hours of deathly boring canal towpath.
    The Transpennine Trail would fit the bill perfectly. Only a few sections in places where it gets a bit bouncy, some roads, some urban, a lot of rural…The Transpennine Trail is my suggestion.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is there nothing in the Fisherfield area that would be suitable? There up to Ben Hope, Ben Loyal kind of area

druidh
    Free Member

Here you go Al.

Loyne-Affric by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta druid.

druidh
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Does anyone know of an online Bridleway map?

boxelder

The Yorkshire Dales – grab a map and link up BW’s, lanes and quiet roads. Just adapt as you go along – loads of options (and good beer, if that matters)

andyl
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Does anyone know of an online Bridleway map?

I normally use the streetmap site.

Only source I know about for bridleways other than an OS map.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Touring with CX bike – some ideas please’ is closed to new replies.