Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Touring rims
  • MarkyG82

Hi all, I intend to build up some 700c touring wheels come winter time to replace my aging planet x set. Hub choice is not important at this time as I plan to use a dynamo front and a simple shimano on the rear.

Unable to afford the best (mavic 719s in my eyes) i was hoping to get some advice as to what to go for. I need rim brake surface and something that is wider than a regular road rim to handle the beatings of touring. But at the same time I want something that doesnt weigh a ton. Staying on Mavics as I know the quality, the 119s look good but I’m wandering if I should step up a level to 319?

Or can anyone recommend a rim that covers my requirements other than mavics or could I go towards the road rim market?

I have time to get the bits as I will probably build them over the xmas break. any help you can offer would be awesome.

cheers

boblo
    Free Member

I have a pair of these Exal LX17 on my tourer. Did a loaded Transam on them last year, brilliant. Even survived a massive pothole at ~40mph that trashed the tyre.

MarkyG82

They look good. Tick all the right boxes. Also dont look top shelf so less nickable 🙂

Did you build the wheels yourself? i.e. any issues with truing etc?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mugsys_m8

Rigida Sputnik from Spa or SJS. Maybe not the lightest, but certainly cheap and very easy to build as they are that stiff. We have 2 sets between us and they’ve been great for heavily laded touring with kids trailers and follow-me’s as well as camping kit.

We found out about them from here about 2 years ago. I think Ton is one of the advocates of them.

boblo
    Free Member

I bought them built onto Tiagra’s. Not expensive (~£120 IRC) and if you are a member, Spa give CTC discount. Apart from the pothole, I haven’t touched em in 10k miles. Sputnick’s are made of anti matter I heard. Great for big loads/exped work but a bit OTT for general touring.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP they’ll all be fine.

munded

DRC ST-19 is my vote for touring rim if you can find it.
    Happily put 40c Marathons on, as well as 28c slicks in fast mode.
    Lighter than Sputniks,and not as ridiculously nails but I’ve hammered them through and into some horrible stuff, build up easy too. Not too much cash either.

MarkyG82

Awesome. Thanks guys. You’re right the sputniks are a bit OTT. the st-19’s look good also.

Will keep looking. any other you can recommend?

Edit: @Al – You are probably right. anything that is a bit more chunky than road specifics will be fine. I’m only little too so the most weight will be from the gear loaded.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve done about 10,000 laden touring miles on 319s. They are barely worn and have not needed any truing.

keaboing
    Free Member

+1 for Sputniks

Edric64
    Free Member

119s are a very poor rim .I have used many Mavic road rims and these are by far the worst

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My A119s have taken a beating on my commuter. Commute is farm tracks, potholes, back lanes, bridleways etc for 25 miles each way. Fully laden with panniers and 85kg of me.

These ware also the first wheels I built myself 12 months ago and haven’t needed truing or anything.

Didn’t like running Conti GP4S 28mm tyres though. Perfect with 35mm Marathons.

MarkyG82

Mary – currently got 28s on and not happy with them. Could be many reasons but will be changing to 32s witH the new wheels.

Interesting about the 119s. Think my current options are st-19s or 319s.

grahamg
    Free Member

I use sputniks but they do weigh a ton. Try velocity dyad – I have one on the back of my fixed, it’s stiff as hell, wider than a road rim but still only in the 450g region IIRC.

MarkyG82

Thats mega light for a touring rim. Will have too look at that too. Do you forsee any issues with the stiffness. Ive heard of people preferring softer material for toughness. As in hit a pot hole and it doesnt break.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Any CSS Rigida rim you can find.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Touring rims’ is closed to new replies.