Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Touring MTB gearing…22/36?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Planning to use my inbred for a mostly road, some gravel road tour next year (New Zealand)

Using these tyres probably Conti travel contact

Trouble is it's only got a 22/36 chainset on, will I spin like crazy or do you think it's likely to be ok by the time there is camping gear and all loaded on it?

The other option is to take my Jake instead, but that only has a compact double on it so nowhere near the same low gears and I'd need stronger wheels for it than what I have on it

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I used an Inbred for commuting & touring I had a 22/32/44 on it and used to run out of gears on the road on occasion. Not a major issue given the 44:11 top gearing however I do have a 24/36 on my Soul and while it's ok off-road I'm certain I'd find 36:11 too low on the road.

Why not just buy a cheap or 2nd hand triple (Deore perhaps) and stick that on.

soobalias
    Free Member

36/11 is a plenty big enough gear imo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RestlessNative
    Free Member

A triple would mean a new front (slx double at the moment) and rear mech (short cage at the moment) too

Rockplough
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain. If it's anything like flat, or downhill then 36/11 will spin out pretty quick, luggage or no luggage. I did a week in the Hebrides and was spinning out a 44/11.

ransos
    Free Member

I've used my MTB for touring a few times, and found that 44/11 would spin out on occasion, so reckon that should be your minimum.

I have a 46/11 on my commuting MTB, which seems about right.

cookeaa

I guess the other thing is How Grrrr, you are going to be, are you likely spin along admiring the view or do you have set in stone daily mileage goals? If you r taking it easy the 36/11 should be ample…

It’s what £20-ish for a triple front mech, maybe another £20-ish for a 3spd LH shifter, plus a £10-15 each for some Shimano Rings, (say 32/44 maybe), so call it ~£70 to get you set up with a wider touring gear range, are you certain your rear mech won’t cope? Call it another £25 for a Deore or similar and your laughing, I’m sure some of the bits you need could be rustled up for way less than half of that if your nice to people (I have a couple of triple front mechs and possibly some old rings if you want, your welcome to them if they’ll fit)…

You only need a cheap robust temporary drive train for the trip, the SLX can all go back on when you get home…

RestlessNative
    Free Member

hmmm so what you are saying is I should build another bike 🙂

off to look in parts bin, seems like 36 might be a bit small

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Touring MTB gearing…22/36?’ is closed to new replies.