Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Touring motorbikes – advice?
  • alanl
    Free Member

I got a Ducati ST4S earlier this year.
    Superb. Exceeds all expectations.
    £2000 with all luggage.

flange
    Free Member

I’d suggest a late (’96-’97) VFR 750. None of that VTEC nonsense to ruin the fun. Sublime V4 engine, overbuilt like you wouldn’t believe and fast enough for most.

VFR 750

Do you even ride bro?

I’ve had quite a few of those. Not sure a versys would be great for two up riding, it felt slow with just me on it. Build quality wasn’t great either. Bandits (and I’ll get flamed for this) are UTTER crap. I’ve never had a bike I’ve hated as much as that and ive had a few aprilias. Top heavy when it has a full tank, slow, terrible build quality and mine was a 2000 mile old 1200 with the half fairing that had been pampered. Maybe I had a duff one but it it me off suzukis for life.

Blackbirds are awesome, proper quick, comfy and built well. First year (96?) had carbs, after that they’re all fuel injected. Brilliant bike but if you’re short of leg maybe not the best choice.

If you’re a little…erm…shorter, a cbr600f isn’t a bad shout at all. Mine was brilliant and was as happy buggering about on back roads as it was doing my commute one a week from suffolk to Bracknell (and bracknell to Watford each night). They hold their money well but of all the bikes I’ve had, that was the most fun and a lot less scary than the new fire blade that replaced it

amplebrew

I’d be having a think on how far you want to go on it and how often you will be carrying a pillion.

If most of your riding is going to be two up over a big distance, then IMHO you need something large and roomy like a Pan, FJR or 1200GS/RT to make it enjoyable for you and your passenger.

Don’t necessarily be put off larger bikes as it’s just what you’re used to and getting the confidence. It might be worth getting a long test ride on something big and getting the feel for it.

I’m a big fan of Boxer’s, but if long mostly two up long trips are planned; then a cherished ST1100 Pan would be ideal for you

For reference, I’m riding a 1200GS Adventure on the standard seat height and I’m only 5ft7.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Off the original list, I’ve always fancied a VFR800, reckon that might suit ‘just going about’ rather than proper touring though.
    The R1100S really surprised me in how much I liked it – very easy to ride, comfortable etc – I’m 5’8 and it was fine for height, etc.
    Not so sure about the ZZR – I never got on with mine, wasn’t comfortable in the way the bimmer was, and wasn’t as good for warming your gloves up when you stop for fuel.

Not sure I read where your touring plans take you? Autobahns – get a blackbird, anywhere rainy or cold, get the bimmer, UK – VFR.

or style it out with a Ducati and a credit card – you know you want to.

5thElefant
    Free Member

or style it out with a Ducati and a credit card multi-meter – you know you want to.

Fixed 😀

scotroutes

FTFY

jota180
    Free Member

Oh, how I miss the Bol d’Or
    Best year for me was the year The Stranglers and Motörhead played, can’t remember who won the race though 🙂

scotroutes

There was a race?

I was just there for the free Ricard 🙂
    Oh – and the Guinness. Why did they have free Guinness??

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p4TWZZ]img173[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

I didn’t know they had colour film that long ago.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Bol D’or is back at Paul Ricard next season 😀
    As has been mentioned in earlier posts,what touring bike you need depends on where you’re touring.I went to Circuit Paul Ricard on a 250LC,it was great fun wringing it’s neck on those twisty roads..

wide
    Free Member

Had 5 Transalps, not too mention numerous other bikes XJR 1300s, Honda CBs and the transalp is the one I always go back to. Great for touring and seeing the sights and goes off the beaten track very well. Not so good if you want to do ton up on the motorways mind, but bulletproof and far more character than Dullvilles that share the same engine

RustySpanner

Bustaspoke – Member

Bol D’or is back at Paul Ricard next season

Funny.
    It was that announcement that prompted us both to consider a bike again.

More Bol pictures please.
    🙂

Cheers for the thoughts everyone, time for a think and a good few test rides over winter.

Bike’s going to be used for Euro jaunts two up, UK tours and weekend trips.

So far, I think the VFR’s winning. 🙂

Mrs Spanner, my co conspirator wants a Pan.
    I’ve told her that’s fine as long as she picks it up every time I drop it at the lights.

scotroutes

For Rusty..

The start/finish straight
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/q1CPqt]img194[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Early evening on the Mistral
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/p51R1w]img203[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Night descends
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/q1CK1B]img105[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

and the camping….
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/q1NmZM]img109[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr
    Note the footprints up the side of the tent 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

A man with plenty of time on his hands to scan all his old photos 🙂

jota180
    Free Member
    bazzer
    Free Member

Some reading

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-tourers-under-3000/24023.html

I rest my case re the FJR

and all 10 of them look gopping 🙂

For me I have to look at the bike and want to ride it 🙂

br
    Free Member

I got a Ducati ST4S earlier this year.
    Superb. Exceeds all expectations.
    £2000 with all luggage.

Hmm, that’d be the one that my local dealer wouldn’t let me buy when they were new – he wanted to keep me as a customer and no way did he reckon it’d be up to what I needed from a bike; ie reliability for a 100 mile per day commuting.

Got a Fazer 1000 instead, hated it. Then he opened a Triumph dealership, I went for them and stayed – ace.

What about a Fazer 1000, loads of space and plenty of go?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

TDM – I had one, thirsty and a thirsty thing

Tiger 1050 was my most comfy bike for touring on, I did 3 weeks solid on it without a problem! But a bit expensive for maintenance, which is why it went!

Off the wall suggestion – Moto-Guzzi Norge. Really comfy, surprisingly agile and a shafty so much less hassle to deal with touring 😉 I love my Griso even if it is the most impractical bike on planet Earth!

kilo

R1100rs, comfy two up and can cheap do big mileages and be hustled along. Avoid any k1100lt probably the worst bike I ever owned. I did go across Germany on one of the bonneville 800 and it was surprisingly comy even at six foot one

Quick edit pan Europeans are great bikes.

amplebrew

Rusty Spanner – Member

Cheers for the thoughts everyone, time for a think and a good few test rides over winter.

Bike’s going to be used for Euro jaunts two up, UK tours and weekend trips.

So far, I think the VFR’s winning.

Mrs Spanner, my co conspirator wants a Pan.
    I’ve told her that’s fine as long as she picks it up every time I drop it at the lights.

Just out of interest, how tall (short) are you?

Pan’s aren’t really tall, it’s just getting used to the weight.

My 1200GSA has got a seat height of 890mm and I can get both balls of my feet down at only 5ft7. I think an ST1100 has only got a seat height of 800mm.

Edit – Even VFR is no mean feat to pick up by yourself.

RustySpanner

I’m 5’6.

I think the heaviest thing I’ve ridden is a Kwak 750 Turbo, but that had a nice low seat and decent balance.

Have test ridden a Pan, which was fine once moving, but putting my foot down on greasy, off camber city streets was a bit scary.
    A confidence thing, like you say, I’m sure.

amplebrew

Rusty Spanner – Member
    I’m 5’6.

I think the heaviest thing I’ve ridden is a Kwak 750 Turbo, but that had a nice low seat and decent balance.

Have test ridden a Pan, which was fine once moving, but putting my foot down on greasy, off camber city streets was a bit scary.
    A confidence thing, like you say, I’m sure.

The weight often disappears once you’re moving and personally I find a bigger heavier bike easier and more relaxing to ride. My 1200GSA is a doddle to make progress on as it’s so torquey and planted.

If you can’t flat foot it though, don’t try to push yourself back whilst sat on the seat, get off and push it. If you loose your footing even slightly, you’ll drop it. Oh and obviously don’t park on a decline if you need to get it out backwards 😉

If you use the main stand, put it in gear before you take it off and let the clutch out as it rolls forward onto both wheels. Just reduces the risk of the bike running away from you.

If you get a Pan, VFR or CBR6F for £3k or under and don’t like it; you should have no issues moving it on* and getting your money back.

* Unless you try and sell it during snowmageddon 😀

Euro
    Free Member

flange – Member
    Do you even ride bro?

Haven’t had a bike for about 6 years. Why do you ask?

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 for the Blackbird (mine’s a 1996 carbed jobbie). almost 70k miles and the engine still purrs – even with absolute minimal maintenance.

I’ve used it for all day touring, weeks away (with hard luggage) and even a couple of track days – putting a few power rangers to shame in the process. Great bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Touring motorbikes – advice?’ is closed to new replies.