Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Touring bikes- 26" or 700c wheels?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a touring bike. I’ve got dreams of what I’d like to do, but realistically it will be for Scotland, and maybe Icleand one day!!

Are you better with 26inch wheels or 700 road wheels? I’ve got both road and mountain bikes, so I’ve got tubes for both.

Can anybody recommend a good steel touring frame? I’ve looked at Surly and Dawes. What else should I consider?

Thanks

ton

surly lht with either 700c or 26” wheels
    in europe i dont think it matters what you choose, both lots of spares are readily available, and both can be built into strong wheels.

mlke
    Free Member

Road touring got to be big wheels. Off road touring 29″

andyh2
    Free Member

Road 700 or 26″
    Far flung places 26″

On / Off road 700 / 29″ x 1.75″ – 2.3″ tyres.

If going for 700 / 29er wheels it’s worth checking that the size bike you want can accommodate mudguards without toe overlap.

federalski
    Free Member

I’m gonna put my unused new model XL Planet X Kaffenback frame up for sale if it’s of interest.

trebord
    Free Member

Check out Thorn bikes: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/
    And have a look at the SJS website–they may have something suitable in their clearance zone: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clearance-zone-dept756_pg1/#filterkey=cat&page=1&page=1

garage-dweller

My folks have cycle toured for 50 years and I don’t think either would dream of a regular tourer with 26″ wheels and mum is only 5’3″.

Spa Cycles tourers have been very well reviewed iirc.

No small wheelers on most of their club rides.

Only exception might be if you are going somewhere non europe/ north america

mudmonster
    Free Member

650b 😀

RustySpanner

Smaller wheels = stronger, just as fast, wider spares availability.

Cyclists are conservative by nature and tourers are probably the worst of the lot.

But by any criteria apart from tradition, the smaller wheels win.

Sorry. 😐

butcher

My folks have cycle toured for 50 years and I don’t think either would dream of a regular tourer with 26″ wheels and mum is only 5’3″.

At the same time I’m pretty sure there’s people out there that would only tour on 26″ wheels for their durability and strength. Like anything else there are pros and cons and I’m pretty sure it’s a personal choice, rather than one being better than the other. All depends on the circumstances and how happy YOU feel with the set-up.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Don’t think it matters much to be honest. If on road in civilisation then 700c prob better choice.

Can’t go wrong with a surly lht. And for wheels check out… Can’t remember the place, and but ton pointed me to them so he might remember. Triton cycles maybe? Or spa.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Depends if you are more on or off road and if off road what you will be riding.
    A well built wheel and decent tyres is more important than the size IMO – touring wheels will have more spokes than most wheels to help carry the extra weight.
    I’ve toured round Scotland a few times mixing both road and trails (fireroads etc rather than full on mtb tracks) on 700cc wheels with no problems.
    That said I used a 26″ hardtail with semi slick tyres to tour round Cuba a few years back and that was fine too.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

…and , check out the Kona Sutra – steel touring bike with full rack mounts etc. I love mine and ride it nearly every day not just for touring.

olddog

What is the downside of a 29 wheelset, wouldn’t a lightweight good quality xc set be durable enough for touring? Is it something to do with trouble getting appropriate replacement if in the backend of no-where?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Check out Thorn bikes: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/
    And have a look at the SJS website–they may have something suitable in their clearance zone: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clearance-zone-dept756_pg1/#filterkey=cat&page=1&page=1

I have a Thorn Sherpa with 26″ wheels. It isn’t a very sexy looking bike but it is very well built (but also very heavy as a result). It is also a very comfy and stable bike. I’ve ridden it on and off road with no problems. In my experience the smaller wheels are no slower than 700cc wheels when fitted with decent high pressure tyres. The only problem with the stuff from Thorn is that their prices are getting pretty high these days and their designer thinks disc brakes on a steel frame are the work of satan.

bencooper
    Free Member

On-road wheel size doesn’t matter, off-road smaller wheels are stronger – so I struggle to think of an advantage to 700c for most touring. 26″ also has the advantage that it’s very, very common so spares are readily available.

mattsccm
    Free Member

As a thought. Go for what your mates use. That way you carry less spare tyres and spokes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Touring bikes- 26" or 700c wheels?’ is closed to new replies.