Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tour of the Borders
  • imnotverygood

Anyone on here doing this? I am beginning to swither on looking at the weather forecast. I would happily (-ish) ride in that on my own, but riding in a large group with strangers in 45mph gusts is less appealing. Especially as it can be pretty exposed on the tops. 😕

br
    Free Member

I’m at a bit of a loss as to why you’d enter a mass-event if you don’t trust other folks riding abilities?

imnotverygood

I trust them up to a point.
    In any case, riding in a bunch in high winds is a challenge even if everyone knows what they are doing. See various stages of the Tour de France.

iainc

it’s a great route, but one of the reasons i don’t enter these anymore is just that – you can’t predict the weather at time of entering….

Could have ridden it last weekend with virtually no traffic, calm weather, warm sunshine 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

riding in a large group with strangers in 45mph gusts is less appealing.

Don’t ride in a large group then, you can ride on your own you know, there’s no rule that says you must be part of a peleton.

No idea how many people ride this event but even riding something like the etape caledonia you could ride solo if you wanted to.

Gary_M
    Free Member

And as an aside what is it with the constant **** wind this ‘summer’, seems to be blowing a gale every **** day. I used to get some respite in summer from the toil into a headwind on my commute not this year.

iainc

^^^ summer gale due for our area Sat night Gary !

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes and I was planning on cycling down to Kippford on Sunday morning, last time I rode down it was a constant head wind and pissing rain the whole way. Looks like I’ll be changing my plan for Sunday!

imnotverygood

Don’t ride in a large group then, you can ride on your own you know, there’s no rule that says you must be part of a peleton

But you see, I enjoy riding in a large group (subject to the conditions). That’s why I entered a sportive. If I wanted to ride on my own, I would do, and in fact, I often do so. These events offer something a little different from my normal riding.
    That is why I enter them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tour of the Borders’ is closed to new replies.