Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tour of the Black Country,road bike or 29er hardtail?
  • icarus
    Free Member

I have to choose between my Alloy roadbike(carbon forks)with 27mm Vittoria open pave tyres or a Titus Fireline Ti.29er with Rockshox and Specialized xc tyres,does anyone know what the roads and tracks are like at the moment please?

Houns

Damp and covered in hail

You’ll be fine on a road bike

rOcKeTdOg

Waltonberg climb and descent where bone dry last night, I’ll be on my road bike. It’s a relatively flat route & a mtb just doesn’t roll as fast on flat tarmac bits for me. Long range weather says 17? & 10mph wind. Only rain would make me take the rigid mtb

BillOddie

I’ll be on the Gravel/Gnarmac/CX/Whatever bike with 35mm Clement Xplor USH tyres (mainly because they are the narrowest I own.)

alansd1980

I was just having this dilemma, carbon road bike on 25mm or ti cx on 35mm

First world problems I know!

Haze

I was just having this dilemma, carbon road bike on 25mm or ti cx on 35mm

Think I’d take the crosser…

lunge

Alu road bike with 25’s and crap clearance last year was fine, I intend to ride the same this year. There’s not a lot of off road stuff, so your emphasis need to be on the road.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ll be on a road bike with 25mm tyres. Waltonberg is fine as long as its dry. If its wet I’ll be pushing up. Dont know much of the other sectors but I doubt my other bike a Five would be needed!

mboy
    Free Member

Think I’d take the crosser…

God no… Not unless it’s filthy!

Road bike with 25’s all day long… The off-road bits are easily manageable on any road bike as long as you’re not silly, the road sections make up about 90% of the ride and you will definitely be better off on a road bike here.

Did it last year on my summer road bike with Reynolds Assault carbon deep section wheels and 25’s on. 30+mph off road on a road bike is awesome fun!

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m doing it on what I’ve got. Which is a knackered old bianchi with 21mm tyres and gears that change when they want too. I have never done it before so I may be in for a rude awakening. Either way I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

First time for me, will be either my winter roadie with 28mm vittorias on if i can squeeze them in , if not then the london road with the same tyres, either way it will be road based , Mate is doing it on his normal 26` wheeled commuting mtb

icarus
    Free Member

Thanks for that,looks like my road bike then.

steve73
    Free Member

I will be on my TCX with Victoria Pave 27mm tyres – which is the same as I did it on last year. Just hoping the sign on is a bit smoother than last year! Great event with a velodrome finish (and a glass of champagne)

phil40
    Free Member

I am doing it on my Boardman cx bike, with 28mm schwalbe marathons! This may or may not have an uncanny resemblance to my commuter bike 🙂 I am trying to decide if I can be ar&d to take off the guards and rack 🙂

Haze

Done it both years on 25’s, first time was steady but got pinch flats second time when I tried to push on a bit.

If I did it again I’d be on a larger tyre, or tubeless.

There is a fair bit of road I guess so….

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Did a recce last year on 25’s but did the event on 28mm schwalbe one tubeless and had much more fun apart from a bad case of cramp just after the waltonberg 🙄 doing it again this year with the missus this time and have ordered some 28mm’s for her too ..the extra bit of cushion just allows you to go faster over the rough stuff = more fun 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tour of the Black Country,road bike or 29er hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.