Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tour of the Black Country – only for the really fit?
  • alanl
    Free Member

I want to do the TotBC this year.
    My OH would like to do it too, however, she isnt as fit, or as agile as me.
    Is it possible to get fit enough to do it this year?
    Looking at previous years times, the slowest were at around 5 hours, though I think the distance has changed this year (75 miles).

windydave13
    Free Member

I did it two years ago and if a similar course it wasn’t that tough. The off-road sections were mainly flat so as long as you take it at a pace you’re happy with wasn’t too difficult. The big cobbled climb most folk walked.

It’s a good day out. If the parking is like it was the year I did it, get there early regardless of start time

anagallis_arvensis

I believe its going back to the route of 2 years ago when I did it. About 95km…anyone could do it with a bit of training..could be tricky if wet mind

lunge

I believe its going back to the route of 2 years ago when I did it. About 95km…anyone could do it with a bit of training..could be tricky if wet mind

This, it’s a lovely ride and well worth training for.

Haze

4 months, plenty of time

DiscJockey
    Free Member

It’s a great experience, especially the transition between road and farm-tracks, Paris-Roubaix style !

Would you be able to negotiate an early start ? There was over an hour between first and last riders off when I did it in 2016, so that would give you more time before the expected ‘cut-off’ point when the marshals might pack up and leave.

Is your OH OK riding on bumpy ground ? If not, I’d recommend at least a cyclocross bike. Some of the loose gravel requires good bike handling. Don’t aim for a fast road bike as it’s the off-road sections that can make just as much difference in overall time, and it’s better to finish safely.

aP
    Free Member

It’s fine, gently lumpy, Waltonberg is a bit chunky.

rOcKeTdOg

Hopefully they’ll have a better organised start than 2016, one guy giving the safety briefing to 5 riders at a time meant we started 1.5hrs after our alloted time and stood in a big queue. Not an ideal warm up.
    Only hill is the Waltonberg, people walk that. Only challenge will be if it’s wet. If you/she are experienced at picking lines you’ll be fine, you could separate all the roadies from the mtbers as the roadies were the ones with multiple pinch flats from battering through the pot holes. So you might want to brush up your tube changing technique or go tubeless

Speshpaul

You’ll be fine.
    I’ve done everyone so far and survived. There were a few problems a couple of years go, but last year was super slick. They even managed to find another massive OR climb before the Waltenburg.
    And what’s all this talk pushing. if I can ride up it……..

markrh
    Free Member

Start was much better on the 2017 edition. Basically you could start when you wanted :-).

alanl
    Free Member

Thanks all, we’ll be doing it on road bikes.
    I’ve got no problem with the rough ground, as I can ride ‘light’ when required.
    She’ll struggle more. She has only just started doing anything off road, that will ramp up in the next few months, as well as a few longer road rides. We did 24 miles last week, with 1000feet of climbing, that’ll improve.
    She is booked onto a ‘Intro to MTB’ course at Cannock next week, she did the Dog 2 weeks ago, but walked many sections, but we’ve been out a few times since, and she now has SPD pedals, after seeing the advantages in them. She has fallen off a couple of times due to not unclipping!
    Tyres on the day, I was thinking of putting some fatter tyres on, latex tubes would help too – 35mm OK do you think?

rOcKeTdOg

Theres nothing on the route as technical as a trail centre. Worst there’ll be is loose gravel and pot holes. She’ll be fine

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tour of the Black Country – only for the really fit?’ is closed to new replies.