Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tour of Ayrshire road event this weekend
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d forgotten all about this event that’s on this weekend, only realised it was on when my wife mentioned closed road signs last night (we live in the town it starts in).

It was supposed to be last year but was postponed and as I don’t buy cycling magazines I had forgotten all about it.

It’s a UCI Gran Fondo and it’s on my local roads, too late to enter now but there goes Sundays ride on quiet roads 🙂

Anyone doing it?

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Did think about it but being a misery guts I couldn’t stomach paying £55 for the time trial on the Saturday then £75 for the gran Fondo on the Sunday.

No doubt there will be plenty of bling on show.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh aye just had a look at the entry fee – £70 for the 70 mile event! I can do the route for free next weekend when all the fatty’s have gone home 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The route they have chosen is a bit lacking tbh, nowhere near the best road stuff around, can’t believe they didn’t include at least some of the Ayrshire alps stuff down past Straiton…

legend
    Free Member

UCI, world-class, Fattys though

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

I’m going.

too late to enter now

Online entries have closed but they’re still taking cash entries on the day.

Gary_M
    Free Member

can’t believe they didn’t include at least some of the Ayrshire alps stuff down past Straiton

Can’t really do that starting in Killie though, not on a 70 mile route. But yeh the route isn’t great, it’s going the a71 to newmilns when it could go the much lumpier b road running higher up and parallel. Not too bad from newmilns though apart from the a70.

Online entries have closed but they’re still taking cash entries on the day.

Are they doing cash discounts 🙂

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

UCI, world-class, Fattys though

Just a regular fatty here. Only the top 25% are world class fatties.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t really do that starting in Killie though

Wasn’t aware it has to start in the scheme…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cash injection means we can have some more bridges lit up and the riders can say aye to a killie pie.

iainc

But yeh the route isn’t great, it’s going the a71 to newmilns when it could go the much lumpier b road running higher up and parallel.

I though that too when I saw the route – I love that higher road when I venture, with trepidation and tightly secured trousers, into the ‘Shire on a loop from the civilised northern territories… 🙂

maccruiskeen

The route they have chosen is a bit lacking tbh, nowhere near the best road stuff around, can’t believe they didn’t include at least some of the Ayrshire alps stuff down past Straiton…

Its really the tour of east ayrshire. Means the organiser are only having to deal with one local authority. Has its plus sides -it appears the Somme-themed B7037 has been resurfaced for it. 🙂 You also couldn’t start from Killie and head to Straiton without closing the A76 for the day.

larrydavid
    Free Member

The price is unreal.

£55 for a time trial. Honest to God.

£75 to ride through Cummnock. The scenery is mostly pretty bleak.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s good news, I may take advantage on Saturday.

They should have taken the route up the climb past Gibb of Galston, that would have induced some tears early on 🙂

£75 to ride through Cummnock.

Insurance for the event is probably pretty high 🙂

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

I paid the early bird price. Hadn’t realised it was £70 now 😯 I’ve heard much of the entry fee goes to the local authorities in exchange for the road closures, which seems fair if it ends up benefiting the community to compensate for the disruption.

Will be in Killie tomorrow. Where’s the best pie to be found?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Where’s the best pie to be found?

Brownings the Bakers – we have standard scotch pie, steak pie, steak and haggis pie (or my pie as I know it as I suggested it to brownings when killie played ayr in the league cup replay on 25th January, but its a sore point for me and I would have called it Rabbie’s Killie Pie but there you go), macaroni pie, chicken curry pie. Think that’s it.

There’s even a factory outlet just for pies. Best pies in the world, or something.

maccruiskeen

Brownings the Bakers – we have standard scotch pie, steak pie, steak and haggis pie (or my pie as I know it as I suggested it to brownings when killie played ayr in the league cup replay on 25th January, but its a sore point for me and I would have called it Rabbie’s Killie Pie but there you go), macaroni pie, chicken curry pie. Think that’s it.

There’s even a factory outlet just for pies.

Go for a Belter Bridie. Its like eating a meat-stuffed duvet

Gary_M
    Free Member

Couple of them in your jersey back pocket and you’d be sorted for the event.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its really the tour of east ayrshire. Means the organiser are only having to deal with one local authority. Has its plus sides -it appears the Somme-themed B7037 has been resurfaced for it. You also couldn’t start from Killie and head to Straiton without closing the A76 for the day.

True, which is unfortunate, as IMO Both North and South Ayrshire have better road riding than those in the eastern shires.

Pity they didn’t include the road from Sorn out toward Muirkirk, that has to be possibly the worst road surface in the country!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d agree about south ayrshire but the north not so sure, some bigger longer climbs I guess but irvine, kilwinning, beith ffs 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whilst not quite as luxurious as the likes of Auchinleck, Patna or your very own scheme, the Fairlie moor climb, Haylie Brae and Loch Thom road behind Largs are 3 climbs off the top of my head that are better than anything in East Ayrshire…

Oh, and not to forget Arran is also in North Ayrshire!.

Gary_M
    Free Member

the Fairlie moor climb, Haylie Brae and Loch Thom road behind Largs are 3 climbs off the top of my head that are better than anything in East Ayrshire…

Yeh as I said some bigger longer climbs. They’re both shite holes though in equal measure 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Ayrshire road event this weekend’ is closed to new replies.