Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tour ends, summer ends
  • rOcKeTdOg

Anyone else feeling the blues when the tour ends? Downhill to xmas now 😐

Bregante

Nope. Two weeks away starting next weekend and then a week of cycling in Majorca. Barely even under way yet.

Poopscoop

Nah!

Plenty of Summer yet to come! 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Nope.

I have 2 weeks off work at the beginning of September and the weather has been good st that time for the last few years.

PJ266
    Free Member

Nope, 1 week left at work, 1 months holiday then cycling to Germany.

Oh, and then going to Australia for a year to continue the summer…

*Smug*

Klunk
    Free Member

if you are missing Sky squeezing the life out of a race you’ve got the vuelta to look forward to. Should be a police outrider in every grand tour ready to wipe out team sky.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Nope. It’s a road race of the elite. Only holds a passing interest to me. Bucket loads of summer fun off road to be had, and none of it involves watching races/events on or off road. Then it’s autumn and winter, and the riding still continues just the same, dry or mud. Just gets darker, and that’s what lights are for.

Happy Singletrack trails 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I see it as the beginning of summer, not the end.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah mate, Autumn has arrived, soon the leaves will drop..

😆

SaxonRider

I know what you mean, rOcKeTdOg. I’m just off for a 3-week jaunt tomorrow morning, but I do feel it when events like the TdF come to an end. The close of the Olympics through the years and seasons does something similar.

tjagain

Nope – still got my second holiday to come in 5 weeks time. then its summers end when I come back

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m going to miss watchfinder ads.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No, I’m feeling rather grumpy because my riding miles for a second consecutive week have been rubbish, compared to my normal routine since January (~70 vs ~230 over two weeks).

iainc

Flat feeling right now, yes for sure. But a few glasses of wine and it will be a memory by the morning.

Lat year I had the privilege of being in the finish line grand stand in Paris and it was very weird feeling half an hour after the presentations. However once me and junior went for a McDonalds normal service was resumed 😀

MrPottatoHead

Certainly didn’t feel summery on this mornings ride with the biblical rain showers. Also feeling the nights drawing in as it’s normally post 8pm when I can get out mid-week due to little man. Lights will be out soon.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

TED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST
    wilburt – Member
    I’m going to miss watchfinder ads.

Me too. 😥

scotroutes

Try switching the telly off and ignoring it next year. Then you’ll not have that sense of disappointment.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Summer hasn’t even started in our house, cancelled 3 holidays & looking iffy for the 4th!
    Arse/shite/bollox&stuff&cancer&2017! 🙄

I envy you lot! 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ne and it will be a memory by the morning.

Lat year I had the privilege of being in the finish line grand stand in Paris and it was very weird feeling half an hour after the presentations. However once me and junior went for a McDonalds normal service was resumed

Jesus. Only a weejie would go for a Big Mac in Paris…..

iainc

Hey, it was the wee guy’s choice 😀 ..

And yes, he had a Big Mac !

spekkie
    Free Member

Not being at work means I’ve been able to watch pretty much every day and we did get to hop over the border to watch Stages 12 & 13 the other week. Looking forward to the Vuelta in 4 weeks time now.

It does leave a hole in the afternoon that I will now have to fill with actually riding my own bikes!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah, I try to keep it simple Dec, Jan, Feb – Winter, Mar, Apr, May – Spring, Jun, Jul, Aug – Summer and Sept, Oct Nov Autumn.

We’ve got 5-6 weeks of Summer left, about 3 months before it’s getting too late to ride after work and 15 weeks till the dreaded dark when leave work day.

Come Sept I have to have “the chat” with myself, I remind myself that despite how much I hate winter it’s only ever 2-3 really horrible cold and wet rides on even a bad year on average, I actually like cold frosty rides and the only time that really sucks in the UK is about Jan 15th to March the 1st – the 6 week suck when I’d rather stay in bed and hibernate if I could.

cheers_drive

Summer is great if the weather is good but it’s probably my worse season for riding due to it being my busiest at work and also lots of family and other social commitments. I rode more in January than I have in May, June and July together

PePPeR

The scariest thing for me is that’s now Froome’s fourth tour win and I can’t believe time has gone so quickly!

irc

Nope. Going to the USA for 6 weeks bike touring at the end of August.

slowoldman

I always miss it when it’s over. But looking forward to the Vuelta.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I actually like cold frosty rides and the only time that really sucks in the UK is about Jan 15th to March

More like about 15th November to some time in March

I’m going to have to get some Winter mountain biking holidays booked for Spain this year. If I can pull this off the Winter might end up with some better riding than anything done all Summer.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Downhill to xmas now

Not necessarily as August can sometimes be the warmest month of the year and as July hasn’t been particularly warm there must be a good probability of that happening

rone

Nope, it’s too summer here in Las Vegas.

Rode the trails early am and Dunkirk this afternoon.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for summer to start, so i sure hope its not over

P-Jay
    Free Member

grannyjone – Member

I actually like cold frosty rides and the only time that really sucks in the UK is about Jan 15th to March

More like about 15th November to some time in March

I’m going to have to get some Winter mountain biking holidays booked for Spain this year. If I can pull this off the Winter might end up with some better riding than anything done all Summer.

It depends on your particluar dislikes I guess.

I’m very winter phobic, as soon as the Summer Solstice passes, some twunt will always gob off “night are drawing in now” ffs.

13 years of worrying about the ‘bad days’ riding.

For me a ‘bad day’ is the day when you look out the window and it’s throwing it down, it’s sub 4c and blowing a gale. I don’t want to get out of bed, but I do, I don’t want to leave the house, but I do, I don’t want to get out of the Van, but I do.

Even with waterproof shorts and a decent jacket I get back a few hours laters and pour my riding kit into a bucket and I’m stood in my pants in a freezing cold gloomy carpark all the grit and grime has gotten under my pads and is eating my skin, all my muscles ache, I’ve got mud in every corner of my eyes and it’s hurting – can’t feel my hands or feet.

As soon as the kids go back to school I tell myself it’s like that for months till May, but it’s not really.

Typically for me, those sort of rides happen 2 or 3 times over Winter, it’s the exception rather than the norm.

The average temp for Cardiff in November is 8c – which is absolutely fine for me, I wouldn’t wear a base layer at 8c. High normal is 11c and low normal 5c.

Dec isn’t much worse, it’s only really Jan and Feb that truely suck. Jan is just the pits, but with all the nonsense around Xmas and New Year it doesn’t seem to start until the 7th and Feb is at least short, by Mid-Feb there usually the first, very early signs of new life coming into the countryside.

By the 7th of Feb it’s light when I leave work, even if it’s dark by the time I get home, those few moments of gloomy, daylight can make all the difference, it’s one of the highlights of the year for me – the day I drive home in the light, it’s the day grand plans for summer are drawn up, talk of evening rides after work, the daily ‘tree check’ for the first sign of leaves.

medoramas
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got that feeling… Even though I normally only watch one or two full live coverages from through the whole Tour – the evening recaps on Eurosport do set a Summer Routine for me and my wife.

I don’t like when TdF ends – the evenings come faster and faster now…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tour ends, summer ends’ is closed to new replies.