Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Tour Divide curious
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For those thinking the TDR is a little short, there’s the American Discovery Trail, at 6,800 miles 😯

fasthaggis

Trying to find that thread from last year from a lad who went out to do it and came back after a week or so saying it just wasn’t what he was expecting.

That’s because it’s as much a mind game as physical.
    Some people get that and love it,others not so much.
    I am with Whitestone and Gregmay.
    It would be mindbendingly awzum

pete68
    Free Member

A plus point for doing the group start in this or any other similar event is that signing up for a set date makes you commit to it. It’s very easy to say “I’ll do that one day”, but for many, that day never comes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GregMay
    Free Member

Buying an unrefundable plane ticket helps too.

jekkyl

Just out of interest, what safeguards are there if you get into trouble? If you’re in the middle of nowhere with no phone coverage and sustain injury? You have your tracker so is it as simple as if it doesn’t move for 2 days they’ll come and find you or what?

jameso

As for minging busy, 150 riders spread out across nearly 3000 miles?

Well, there’s usually some tourers on the route at the same time too. I met at least 6.

More interesting routes to do, but that’d require you to do your own route planning…

It’s so subjective and we all ride for different reasons anyway. I’ve planned my own routes and I’ve followed others, it only changed that aspect of it, my experience on the ride was no better or worse either way though I do love planning my own rides beforehand. Still, I don’t buy into this ‘only doing new routes’ being suggested as superior (I’m not saying that was your point montgomery, just got me thinking about that general point), climbing can be the same. There’s established classics and there’s new stuff, both have values. Pick what does inspire you and do it for the right reasons as others do the same.

GregMay
    Free Member

jekkyl – it’s self supported. There are no safeguards or fall back. You take care of yourself.

But, you’re probably going to be smart and carry a SPOT – A: so people can watch you, B: If you’re racing you have to, C: The SOS button can be used it you are 100% in danger of death – not a little hungry, sad, or out of water.

Not trying to be patronising. People somewhat assume that self-supported is there to cover it not being an official thing – it’s not, it’s up to you to get yourself un-screwed if things go wrong.

Pigface
    Free Member

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

If you are looking for an adventure and don’t want to race look here for inspiration. If you want to race do the Divide.

When I did my cycle our from Vancouver to Mexico I followed a well worn route but it was still a brilliant adventure. Met guys who were doing 120 miles a day and met people who were doing 10 miles a day, everyone was having fun, well nearly everyone 😆

charliemort

Interesting …….

Maybe a tour of SE Asia or China would be more “interesting”. Did a few 1000 miles
    Around Central America c 1986………

miketually
    Free Member

I’d love to have a crack at this, or something like it, in a few years time. Must be genetic, because my sister walked the Pacific Crest Trail a couple of years ago and walked across Iceland last year.

Clobber
    Free Member

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of doing this in say 5 weeks camping as much as possible?

boxelder

Plane tickets + £500-1000 I reckon.
    Take credit card and live within your means.
    Jerked roadkill anyone?

laycockaj
    Free Member

I took just less than 3 weeks – spent over $1300 on food, couple of motel rooms, batteries, spares etc. Things start to add up pretty fast.

Clobber
    Free Member

Good info thanks, what time of year did you guys go?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’m going this year, I’ve been dreaming about it since 2008, I’m going to ITT with my son, can’t wait! – https://www.justgiving.com/jim-tom-tour-divide

martin1957
    Free Member

I did the divide last summer as a tourist 35 riding days I am 58 yrs old. It was great just do it. I found the riding and mileage harder as you get further south with some long days 230 km the longest across the basin.finishing south although there is nothing there. Spent time in Tucson and Utah loved it. There was a company advertising to sponsor someone to do it and send in blogs on the equipment ect. Can not recall who it was though. I had wanted to do it for over 20 years and it did not disappoint. There are some tedious section but I loved those as they just pose a different challeng

midlifecrashes

Another resource I just read as my local library had it in:
    Paul Howard: Two Wheels On My Wagon
    Sounds fantastic.

Clobber
    Free Member

When is the best time of year to do it?

GregMay
    Free Member

Clobber – Member
    When is the best time of year to do it?

When the snow on the high passes has melted, and before the rain starts in New Mexico. So pretty much from June to July.

In other news, flights booked for Grand Depart.

happybiker
    Free Member

I did it in 98, the year after the GDMBR route became official AFAIK and there was thick snow above Platora in early July. Rode it on a tandem with my sister, I was 17! Hoping to have another go, not on a tandem though. If you have the time just go and do it…

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Tour Divide curious’ is closed to new replies.