Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tour de Yorkshire spectator advice
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

So I find myself staying very close to Malham this week for a walking holiday, which seems to coincide with the first stage of the TdY on Friday, finishing in Settle at 4pm or thereabouts. Is it likely to be bursting on Friday morning, or will I be able to park the car still at, say, 10am, stretch my legs for a few hours, then come back and watch the fun? I did wonder about going elsewhere on the route but this will mean sitting in the car for ages, whereas in Settle I can eat cake and stuff.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Most/all Settle car parks shut Friday I think, and plenty of road closures too. You could park up somewhere out of town and cycle in? Or just cycle all the way from from Malham if the weather is half decent.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I like that plan. Wish I’d brought my bike now 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Run then 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably be quicker going back to Scotland for my bike 😳

I’ll look for somewhere nearish that I can walk in from.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Road from Malham to Settle will be open but shut at Settle itself. Road is narrow so maybe best to drive up the cove road and into Settle on Langcliffe road then park on roadside. Walk last few hundred yards into Settle. I will be there.

C

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers Chris, I’ll have a look at that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The way it’s going at the moment I would bring some skis !

thegreatape
    Free Member

Too right! Was up on Simon’s Seat at Bolton Abbey today, whole bag full of snow by the time I’d fnished lunch.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Respect for getting out at all today, I would have looked out of the window this morning (currently living nr Gargrave) and jacked it in. It would be rude not to do Pen Y Gent, Ingleborough and/or Whernside whilst your here. Much of them is sanitised path, but not a bad thing at this time of year. have you done the Gordale Scar / malham cove circuit?

martinhutch

You can walk from Malham to Settle over the tops in a couple of hours. Nice walk too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

3/4 of the way up Sutton Bank would be a good place to watch on Sunday IF you could perhaps?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Did the Settle Wheelers time trial tonight. The weather and the views were fantastic

C

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did the Malhan/Goredale loop yesterday but my mother was not up for climbing up the scar – wondering whether that’s worth going back to tomorrow afternoon, or to do Pen y Gent or Ingleborough instead?

I’ll be back in Scotland by sunday, but depending on the weather on Friday walking across might be ok.

martinhutch

Rain’s coming in this morning. PenyGhent is the ‘quickest’ of the 3 Peaks, but you’ll have to get your skates on.

Quite literally, perhaps, watch out for ice!

thegreatape
    Free Member

We’re doing a gentle walk this morning, so I wouldn’t’t be going out on my own until lunchtime, and as you say, it doesn’t look very nice 🙁 . It’ll be there another day of course.

martinhutch

Janet’s Foss is very nice for a short amble.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Rain? You’ll be lucky, snowing hard now 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

We’re planning to venture over Conisborough way but cant seem to see anything about expected times. Does anyone have a link?

martinhutch

Whereabouts are you Captain? Sunny out now, was thinking of trying to sneak a quick ride in before the snowpocalypse.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Janet’s Foss is very nice for a short amble.

Thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We’re planning to venture over Conisborough way but cant seem to see anything about expected times. Does anyone have a link?

http://letour.yorkshire.com/timings

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks, obviously couldn’t see it for looking

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yellow weather warning tonight for snow until 10am tomorrow 😆

martinhutch

Welcome to Yorkshire!

Hope they take it easy down over Dibbles Bridge.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh it’s looking nice and snowy out there today, still coming down hard too !

martinhutch

Going to be a challenging day. For spectators too. Snowing hard in the Dales right now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Weirdly as soon as you drop any altitude it turns to rain and there is no snow 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

I drove across the top from Airton and it was fine, bit slushy but no dramas. The rugby club is being used as a car park. Now then, cake’o’clock…

allthegear
    Free Member

Apparently, Gary Verity says take an extra coat 🙂

Rachel

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmm…I’m considering putting my hood up.

midlifecrashes

In Doncaster tomorrow they are setting up a fanzone on the town field next to the finish of women’s, men’s and sportive. Just over the field from my house so I’ll be there.

Some of the women’s teams came over on the Rotterdam ferry to Hull with me last night, Giant Alpecin team were setting up bikes on the dockside to ride up to Beverley. They didn’t look very impressed with the 3 degrees and 40mph wind as they stepped out of the campervan in Lycra. “Welcome to Yorkshire” we helpfully added as we rode past.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tour de Yorkshire spectator advice’ is closed to new replies.