• This topic has 60 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Tour de France stage 21 – Chantilly/Paris – a summers day in Paris
  • lunge

The final day, a parade, but also the world championships for sprinters. What have we got in store?

There’s one last stage remaining. It’s a prestigious one with the Arc de Triomphe as a backdrop and the Champs-Elysées to welcome the 175 finishers of the Tour de France. This is a record – the previous highest number was 170 in 2010. The grand finale is a parade but also the sprinters’ queen stage, as Mark Cavendish likes to describe it. But the most successful of them all this year (3 victories) has pulled out in order to gear up for the Olympic Games on the track. Therefore, only Peter Sagan can reach the number of four stage wins like André Greipel and Marcel Kittel (twice) in the past three years. The two Germans have the Champs-Elysées in sight. Kittel is hungry for more after having won only once this year (stage 4 in Limoges). Greipel is still at zero, like Alexander Kristoff and Bryan Coquard who have already experienced finishing second in Paris but not first. Stage 10 winner Michael Matthews is a worthy challenger. He has showed good form in going into breakaways in the Alps. Rookies Dan McLay and Dylan Groenewegen might have some ideas at the back of their mind too. But according to recent statistics, every eleven years it’s not a bunch sprint finish in Paris. In 1994, Eddy Seigneur rode away from a 5-man breakaway to precede Frankie Andreu by three seconds. In 2005, Alexandre Vinokourov overtook Bradley McGee who had escaped the peloton before the flamme rouge. We’re in 2016…

The ever wonderful inrng gives us the contenders

The Contenders: it might be the unofficial sprinters world championships but it’s also a bumper consolation prize, the Sans Cavendish sprint. So many sprinters saw their trains derailed and their plans ruined that it’s hard to know who to pick in the absence of Cavendish. Marcel Kittel is the prime pick based on his results and a strong team. Etixx-Quickstep have made a mess of their leadout at times but this time there are no surprises with the course today.

André Greipel was the star of the sprints last year and had a great Giro this year before quitting the race prematurely to prepare for the Tour only to have poor three weeks so far, this is his last chance.
    Alexander Kristoff is the freshness pick, while other sprinters fade away the Norwegian ogre seems to maintain his level and we saw him twice come close to a result in the second half of the race.

Will Peter Sagan have a go? Why not but this finish isn’t perfect for him and if he’s contested the sprints along the way it’s partly been to amass points and he’s found others have higher top-end speed. Besides he must be fatigued after yesterday’s breakaway efforts.

Bryan Coquard was a surprise second here last year but in part because of a few lucky moves and surfing the slipstreams, this is not an ideal finish for him. Dylan Groenewegen looked so promising at the Dutch championships but hasn’t delivered this month, regardless of today he’s had a big learning experience on his way to finishing his first grand tour. John Degenkolb would be a popular winner and if that finger splint means changing gears and braking are hard none of that are needed in the sprint today. Lastly Dan McLay been Fortuneo-Vital Concept’s most visible rider but used up so much energy trying to keep the broom wagon at bay that he won’t have much zip in his legs.

And finally, an attempt at some pics. Hold tight everyone…

The winner, which says it all about how Movistar expected Nairo to perform

Sagan, because he’s a beast

Froome, admiring Yates’ stem

lunge

Yes!!!!!!! I managed to post that from my iPhone, whilst lay in bed with a hangover. Winning behaviour, Team Sky eat your heart out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Marginal gains!

Battle of the Barnets today? Kittel v Sagan?

anagallis_arvensis

I predict that being laid up with a cast on my leg will hit home as being really **** boring as soon as the podiums are done. The end of le tour is a real downer every year this year I will be stuck in the house and not able to go out and pretend to be ( a better looking in my mind) Sagan!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lunge thanks very much for these threads.

Might sneak out to watch a bit (looking at the route now) but its a lot of people to watch a non-competitive procession anywhere I’ll be able to see. Mrs B hates big crowds so getting to the Champs early and staking a claim has never been an option. EDIT: only 20-30 mins walk to various spots on the run in so will drag myself out 😉

Froomie did his usual interviews in French, struggled a bit to express himself I think the emotion of it all and tiredness had kicked in. The TF-2 presenter is retiring after 30 (?) years so it was cool to see a montage of old coverage and Froome gave him a signed malliot jeaune

@aa Rio starts in 10 days, I am sure you’ll gain an appreciation for new some new sports

mt
    Free Member

Lunge, thanks for your TdF posts been great to read. What a great race its been, Sky deserved it. Its just today then is that long wait till next year.

I’d predict who’ll win today but I honestly have no idea who still has what it takes after the last few days. What I will say is that I’d like it to be Sagan.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Froome, admiring Yates’ stem

😆

Aye its in the bag and i rarely watch the last day as its just a procession to a sprint

Was nice to see Brad lead them out when he was in yellow though but Froome wont do that – no need either mind

Been a great tour and cheers OP for your efforts….even if it took the whole tour and alcohol to get you to be able to do pics from your expensive toy 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wiggins was leading out Cav and that was something special, do Sky even have a sprinter ?

Lovely day here, I hope ianc amd his son make it in from the airport in good time. They where landing at 1150 I believe.

TiRed

Thanks lunge. Enjoyed the threads. Kristoff for the win today as my team needs the points to eek a narrow possible podium on STW. Been an excellent tour with a few surprises. Not least Kittel and Greipel’s failure to fire.

And unlucky Adam Yates. So deserved a podium.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Given the way he’s raced i’d not be surprised to see Froome mixing it up on the Champs like Hinault did 😉

I’d forgotten Kittel was still in the race! Got to be odds on for the win today with Cav watching at home.

lunge

even if it took the whole tour and alcohol to get you to be able to do pics from your expensive toy

Behave Junky, it’s only been the last 2 days I’ve made a pigs ear of it, mainly as I’ve had a PC for every other stage!

So today, some predication:
    1. Froome will drink champagne
    2. A break will go up the road, it’ll contain someone from Movistar and someone who is retiring soon
    3. It’ll all come back together with Etixx and Katisha doing most of the work
    4. Sprint finish. It won’t be Kittell, it’ll be Greipel who wins it.
    5. Kristoff won’t get a sniff but will finish top 5
    6. EBH will also fancy a sniff and will get top 10
    7. People on here will moan about it being a procession and ask why they don’t attack yellow.
    8. I will be rather disappointed I’ve now got to do some work in the afternoons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Behave Junky,

It was meant in jest as I and others have said we very much appreciate your efforts in delivering us these threads
    Thanks and apologies if i caused offence that was not my intention

. People on here will moan about it being a procession and ask why they don’t attack yellow.

I remember having to explain this to folk on the last day

Its just not the done thing and , on a flat stage, its pretty pointless anyway.

lunge

Thanks and apologies if i caused offence that was not my intention

And jest is what it was taken in. This is the problem with the Internet, no tone of voice.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah I reckon chinny will be in the break….his final tour and all that. He really does love himself, however, what a rider!

Anyone but Kittel to win please!

jambalaya
    Free Member

So Mr Grumpy will venture out and see them flash past, it is only a mile away and will be back to watch the sprint on TV. Arc is a similar distance but too rammed there.

crazy-legs

+1 on the thanks for lunge on the daily threads and updates, top work!

This year has been quite entertaining. Millar and Boulting make an excellent team, the commentary is miles ahead of the trite clichéd shite that Liggett & Sherwen had reverted to.

Shame that no real GC challenge to Sky ever materialised, the most trouble CF seemed to be in was running up a mountain rather than put on the ropes by a combined Porte / Quintana / Nibali assault. That said, he took this year’s victory in a new and innovative way which caught a few people by surprise.

Not happy with Marcel Kittel – I’ve got Etixx as my sweepstake team and he was supposed to be winning me stages! Maybe he’ll be better today now Cav isn’t here…

crazy-legs

Is anyone watching La Course – the women’s race on the Champs-Elysees?

It’s crashfest central, some big pile ups here for no apparent reason. OK I know there were a lot last year but it was pouring with rain; this is dry roads, about as wide as you could possibly ask for and yet there’s more carnage than the average 4th Cat crit. 🙁

Nice win by Chloe Hoskings but it was a scrappy messy sprint.

vondally
    Free Member

Some nasty crashes there…..really horrible.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for these threads lunge, it’s helped me keep in touch with the tour and given me insights to bore the guys in the pub with. Same time next year?

legend
    Free Member

Its just not the done thing and , on a flat stage, its pretty pointless anyway

Has there been a race close enough to make the last stage a really race in the modern years? Would be something to see if the leaders ever came out of the Alps with a few seconds in it.

Thanks for the threads Lunge!

cinnamon_girl

Huge thanks to lunge, much appreciated. 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP thanks again.

I don’t think you need a photo of all the concrete that surrounds me ! Just by Pont d’Courbevoire where they turn along the river towards La Defence. Definitely Chapeau to those with the free kit as its a 2hr wait here prior to riders for that

jambalaya
    Free Member

Whoosh ! Now back to watch on TV

wallop

Lol at the Samsung ad they just showed in the break – the one with Bradley Wiggins and Jack Whitehall 😆

thecaptain
    Free Member

Legend, there was of course the famous 1989 tour which ended wth a time trial…but the procession seems a fixture now.

crazy-legs

I think the procession is the right thing – the riders have had a brutal 3 weeks so a day off seems a just reward and it’s great for the crowds. I admire the etiquette as well – the team of the Maillot Jaune lead the race round the first lap of the Arc, anyone who is riding their last Tour is allowed a moment of honour off the front of the bunch. It’s a nice touch.

And then it finishes off with what is widely regarded as the sprinter’s unofficial world championships.

Also, Peter Sagan’s green S-Works looks stunning!

headfirst
    Free Member

Thanks lunge,great work.

I’ll have to get out on my bike in the evenings now…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kittel has broken bike – including the replacement – not impressed !

legend
    Free Member

and Tony Martin has abandoned

slowoldman

I think it’s a shame the best that can be put on for the women is a dull City Centre circuit.

crazy-legs

Kittel won’t win this now, he’s screwed. And I really think there need to be fines for riders treating top end kit like that!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kittel with the support car draft 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

and Tony Martin has abandoned

?? seems a bit daft, surely to complete is worth something to him and the team ?

scaredypants

just got in – bad day for Kittel, then ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think it’s a shame the best that can be put on for the women is a dull City Centre circuit.

Its a mens event, not sure I’d them there at all. Should be a junior boys race – top under 18s ? Junior Olympians ?

legend
    Free Member

?? seems a bit daft, surely to complete is worth something to him and the team ?

More as part of Kittel’s lead-out train! It is a weird one, can’t see anything to indicate why

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chaoeau by the way for riding a carbon road bike round the Arc at speed. Its bumpy enough in the car

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kittel’s back on the peleton at least

legend
    Free Member

but Dan Martin is off it! What on earth is happening with that team today??

crazy-legs

but Dan Martin is off it! What on earth is happening with that team today??

Find out what tyres Etixx use and then don’t buy them!

I’m hoping for a Bryan Coquard win although it’s not really his ideal finish. Be good to see Dan McLay up there as well.

Kittel seems to be back in the peloton though. Wonder how much that chase has taken out of him?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France stage 21 – Chantilly/Paris – a summers day in Paris’ is closed to new replies.