• This topic has 135 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Tour de France Stage 17 – Digne les Bains/Pra Loup – In the heart of the legend
  • lunge

And so to the Alps, let the fun begin.

The Tour de France is a romantic affair. Organizers and fans love to recall the good old days. Two kilometers before the finish of stage 17, riders will pass next to an arch that pays tribute to Bernard Thévenet’s exploit at that precise location forty years ago. The temporary monument, on which yellow color is mixed with Peugeot-like black and white checked pattern, reminds that the Frenchman dethroned “the Cannibal” Eddy Merckx on 13 July 1975 to deprive him from winning his sixth Tour de France. That day also remained in the history books for the fall in the ravine of the Bianchi team car driven by sport director Giancarlo Ferretti. It happened in the downhill of col d’Allos, which is notably a tricky one. The exact same stage from Digne-les-Bains to Pra Loup was contested during the Critérium du Dauphiné last month. Romain Bardet attacked one kilometer before the col d’Allos and increased his lead in the downhill to win in Pra Loup.
    The final ascent is only six kilometers long but it can be a nightmare in case of a hungerflat and it’s almost impossible to put a hand in a pocket to take food in the downhill after passing the highest summit of this year’s Tour de France. Chris Froome knows all the pitfalls of that stage for having ridden the Dauphiné. So does Vincenzo Nibali.
    Too bad the Italian is already 7.49 down on GC. He could have been the Thévenet of 2015…

The profile:

The contenders from Inrng:

The Contenders: Yes Romain Bardet won in the Dauphiné but a repeat is a big ask because everyone now knows that a breakaway can take time on the descent and manage their lead up the final climb so we’re likely to see more attacks over the top of the Col d’Allos and more before all in the hope of crossing the top of the pass with an advantage to be improved on the descent.

There’s going to be a fight to get in the breakaway and it’ll be interesting to see how much Team Sky want to chase from the start because they can’t afford to use up riders early, whether early in today’s stage or just early in the Alpine phase of the race. Expect a list of “usual suspects” because those who’ve had the legs to attack in the past few days are those thriving in this race. We should see Rafa? Majka, Joaquim Rodriguez, Jacob Fuglsang and maybe Romain Bardet tempted by the King of the Mountains points on the Col d’Allos with the first two regular stage winners.

Alejandro Valverde is a safer pick given his experience, finishing sprint and because he’s going to be climbing with the front group. Even if Vincenzo Nibali isn’t at his best he’ll want to use the descent to get away but it’s a very obvious tactic and he could be marked, he’ll only have to stand on the pedals on the Col d’Allos for others to mimic him. If Team Sky control things then Chris Froome is a safe pick, as easy as the final climb relative to other ascents in the region it’s still selective; look at the Dauphiné where they came in one by one.

One outsider with room to attack is Thibaut Pinot and the forecast of late rain might suit him as he prefers cool and damp conditions, his descending woes are behind him but there’s talk of FDJ struggling with their tires in the wet.

And the most important thing to be found on the rest day:

Your thoughts and predictions as ever are appreciated.

lunge

For me, this is all about attacking GC, Inrng has not mentioned him so I will, this to me is a Quintana stage, him and Valverde doing the old 1-2 on Froome with Nairo being the eventual victor. How much time he’ll take is a different question all together.

Don’t rule out TJ either, he’s been climbing with the best all tour and he has to attack at some point, is now the day or will he save it for tomorrow?

I think we are now in the 2 biggest, most important days of the tour, stage 20 up Alpe D’Huez will be mental but I don’t think it’ll be critical, that will be a stage for a local hero. For me, if the tour is to be won, or lost, you have 2 days to do it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh once again, great thread.

My predictions? It’s all changing IMO. Today could be one blast attack after another… I’ll have a think and get back 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t think we’ll be getting any long range GC attacks or any big gaps at the end. Reckon we’ll see someone chance a Bardet style attack to get a bit of time over the top of d’Allos then bomb the descent to have a gap for the Pra Loup climb. Maybe a face saving stage win for Nibali if he’s got his head back in the game and allowed a bit of room.

Oh and Rodriguez up the road in a break to pick up the spotty jersey.

nbt

I’m tempted to go for Geraint being given the nod to go clear in the break away…

cloudnine
    Free Member

What’s the weather forecast?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Warm and sunny. Could be a bit of a storm late afternoon.

I’m tempted to go for Geraint being given the nod to go clear in the break away…

Unless it somehow involves a plan to get Froome a bigger lead it won’t happen!

Wonder if we’ll see Sagan in the break again for the intermediate? He’s put in some mighty performances so far, really liking the cut of his jib this year.

faustus

A potentially very exciting stage, I hope there’s some attacking from GC contenders. The descent and shorter climb at the end really open it up, so can’t see Froome gaining much time from an attack on the d’Allos. Think Sky will keep it solid and just cover attacks. Only certainty is that the autobus will have it’s work cut out today!

Going to be difficult concentrating at work this afternoon/rest of the week..!

martinhutch

GT will only get the nod to go if the other meaningful GC contenders are blown or isolated and Froome is safe for the day.

The others will have to go for it on Col d’Allos, won’t they? If that fails, could make the final climb an opportunity.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s too steep for the Belgian boys but (once again) Kruj’sie could pull himself up as he did in the Giro.
    If, if, if IF Pinot can sort his head out and take his anger out on the mountain he could pop off the front. Bardet and Bargil too.

A break then, Cigarboy out front for the spotty dress, Sag’s for the first inter sprints then a sneeky fag behind the bus.

So I’m pegging one of those four 🙄
    Bardet or Bargil, Pinot or Kruj’sie.

You can’t say I’m not consistent with my predictions can you. 😛

reggiegasket
    Free Member

two of those can’t ride down a hill well.

Nibs or Valverde, will attack off the Allos, for slightly different reasons.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Attacks on the descent of Col d’Allos which will come to nothing. Sky to control the lower slopes of Pra Loup. Attacks will come from Valverde, Contador and Nibali will be shut down. Quintana to bide his time and attack later on the climb, Froome to go with him and the leave the other GC contenders behind and Froome will attack Quintana to take 30 seconds out of him at the finish. Sound familiar?

atlaz
    Free Member

Don’t rule out TJ either, he’s been climbing with the best all tour and he has to attack at some point, is now the day or will he save it for tomorrow?

He’s basically said he’s playing a waiting game and will capitalise on mistakes from the others rather than a high-risk attack

forzafkawi
    Free Member

He’s basically said he’s playing a waiting game and will capitalise on mistakes from the others rather than a high-risk attack

I don’t see how four GC contenders (Froome, Quintana, Valverde and Contador not to mention Nibali) are all going to “fail” allowing him to triumph. They’ve all finished in front of him so far and it’s just going to be more of the same. It was never going to be his Tour with that much competition.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhhh ! Wait..

Changed my mind.

Dan
    The
    Martin.

8)

AlexSimon

Dan Martin is a good call.
    I’ll go for Rodriguez.

jobro
    Free Member

I’d love to see that, I think most of british cycling would like to see that, but I don’t think Contador/Valverde teams will allow it and have them moved down on GC.

We have often seen these looming big stages turn out to be a GC stalemate. Everyone marking each other out. Perhaps today will be the same.

Personally, I think Friday is the big day. That last climb has the potential for some big shakeups.

Did Oakley find some old Jawbones? Is that what G wears?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t see how four GC contenders (Froome, Quintana, Valverde and Contador not to mention Nibali) are all going to “fail” allowing him to triumph. They’ve all finished in front of him so far and it’s just going to be more of the same. It was never going to be his Tour with that much competition.

I see where he’s coming from though, just trying to be consistent and capitalise on someone having a bad day. He doesn’t seem to have what it takes to attack on the steep stuff but he can grind his way up at a fair old pace. He did gap Froome up Pra Loup last time out. Still think it’ll be TGV or (more likely) Contador on the podium with Quintana and Froome.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Not going to get to see any of today as off out climbing and then to the pub… I’m hoping it’s a dull, cagey affair!

dragon
    Free Member

Contrador to make his attack on the podium.

I think today is a day that if you want to win overall you have to gamble and that means tearing it up from the start of the day and trying to isolate Froome. Sky are starting to look vulnerable with illness etc. so it really is now or never, waiting till later in the week will be too late.

llama

G in a breakaway? no chance. The best chance he has of significantly moving up GC is if Froome attacks and he still has enough to pick up the left overs.

My prediction: a breakaway win. Come on the Yates. Otherwise a bit of argy bargy but not much change to GC.

lunge

Did Oakley find some old Jawbones? Is that what G wears?

Yes, his Fiancée found a pair, presumably at home. I suspect he and/or Oakley will also be locating a few pairs for additional spares over the coming weeks.

scaredypants

forecast of late rain

What, on that descent – should make for a really, really boring afternoon 😯

GENIEZ to take yet another stage win

matt_bl
    Free Member

G won’t get anyone to ride with him in a breakaway, he’s far too close to the GC to be allowed the kind of time a breakaway would need. Plus with G off the front Sky would be kicking back, whilst the teams of the other GC contenders need them to be working almost from the off in order to pressurise Froome.

Matt

nemesis
    Free Member

Movistar/Tinkoff to try and rip it up on Col d’Allos in the hope of reducing Sky support to a bare minimum and then hope that Quintana/AC (who should have been able to have some steak last night since the testers aren’t allowed to do overnight testing in France)/Valv will be able to take the fight to CF on the last climb. The problem is that Pra Loup isn’t all that hard or long so unless CF had an awful day, he’s unlikely to lose lots of time even if he’s not going well.

larkim
    Free Member

The contenders other than Froome have to take risks now; unless they are content to settle for the podium.

It needs someone with the “second is first loser” mentality to give it a go, and unless Movistar can arrange for Quintana / Valverde to work together in a death or glory mission I can’t see anyone else being able to out-Sky the team.

Unless, of course, the descent / mechanicals get in the way of Froome; but that is equally a risk for the other contenders.

MrNice
    Free Member

It needs someone with the “second is first loser” mentality to give it a go, and unless Movistar can arrange for Quintana / Valverde to work together in a death or glory mission I can’t see anyone else being able to out-Sky the team.

My thoughts exactly. Movistar need to be prepared to sacrifice one of them. Assuming Quintana as leader, Valverde has to go for a full bore attack to stand a chance of breaking Froome. Sky will be forced to bring him back and that might give Quintana a chance to get away. Repeated little digs don’t seem to do anything as the Sky train just TT’s back on to the wheel.

A Bertie Inn steak dinner might for Valverde liven things up nicely but that’s a comment for the other thread…

edhornby

this is almost impossible to call because depending on who gets in the break determines whether it will be a GC fight at the end…

I’m going for Teklahaimanot, he went well in the Dauphine on this stage and he’s down on GC so won’t be chased by the leaders teams

Quintana / Valverde to work together

the idea that valverde works for anyone but himself is quite hilarious 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

I know what you mean and I’m no fan of him given in my view his lack of any indication that he considers doping wrong, but actually I think he’s been a fairly good No 1 for Quintana over the last couple of years.

crazy-legs

G in a breakaway? no chance. The best chance he has of significantly moving up GC is if Froome attacks and he still has enough to pick up the left overs.

Yep – wonderful though it would be to see G on the podium he’s got next to no chance. If he goes up the road Movistar and Tinkoff-Saxo and probably BMC as well will chase him straight down to protect Valverde, Contador and TJvG’s positions respectively and all it would do is wreck G and he’d be no help to CF.

Might work as a tactical move to exhaust the teams but it’s too high risk, especially when you’ve got three strong teams to pull him back.

Could go either way – bit of a testing prod, a few little moves to try it out but nothing changes or it could be all hell breaking loose. Everyone else is running out of options and time now, they need to attack, try and claw back a few seconds here and there at a time cos no-one is going to get back 3 minutes unless CF crashes.

rusty90
    Free Member

the idea that valverde works for anyone but himself is quite hilarious

If Valverde was in a solo breakaway he’d probably refuse to work with himself. Quintana and Valverde as joint leaders is the worst idea since Hinault and Lemond.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I were sky and Valverde attacked, I’d let him get a gap. Would stir things up in the Movistar camp. He’ll lose a bunch of time on Friday and Saturday anyway.

Also earlier…

Alberto Contador said prior to the start this morning: “I feel better than in 2013. I feel better and better each day. I came to the Tour for winning, not for making the top 5. My goal remains unchanged. The peloton is tired. There’ll be opportunities. I intend to make the best of them.”

Always seems to take a step up after the second rest day of a grand tour too…

… is all I’m saying 🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

im still hopeful for a GC shakeup – remember Schleck attacking on the galiber – was it 2011? a marked contender can still put a lot of time in the leader if the have a go

atlaz
    Free Member

That attack by Schleck is, sadly, the exception rather than the rule and probably one of the best GC attacks of recent history. I don’t think the others thought he was actually going to try to do such a long range one.

scandal42
    Free Member

I have a pair of Jawbones, didn’t realise they were no longer made or rare?

Really want Froome to win but I also want to see some big attacks from the GC riders today. I need some kind of sub plot similar to the races of old, big attacks on climbs and a show of character from some of the top riders.

Is it just me who feels to top riders all lack personality and interest compared to some of the classic older winners?

I might be spouting shite

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you look at the position Valv’s always been in, and in teams he’s been in, over the years you’ll understand his “singular” mentality. It’s only now during the last few years as a Pro that he’s turning into a team player.
    I like that singularity and now maturity in him.
    (I’m a huge fan BTW if you haven’t already guessed)
    I think Valv’s done some excellent work with Qunity, he’s not only shadowed and protected but drawn out contenders and split breaks up and controlled Sky to a great degree.
    It would be nice to see him win this stage but honestly theres more at stake today than that.

fingerbang
    Free Member

im still hopeful for a GC shakeup – remember Schleck attacking on the galiber – was it 2011? a marked contender can still put a lot of time in the leader if the have a go

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is it just me who feels to top riders all lack personality and interest compared to some of the classic older winners?

That’s just modern professional sport.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I get the impression that some people haven’t been watching this Tour at all. When have Movistar/Tinkoff/Astana/BMC ever put Sky in trouble? Most of the time they have been conspicuous by their absence other than the team leaders and Froome has had 2 sometimes 3 teammates with him on the final climbs.

Even when it has all kicked off and Froome has ended up on his own he has proved more than able to mark the various attacks and still take time out of his rivals. I don’t see that situation changing over the next few days.

And yeah, Valverde sacrificing himself to help Quintana up the GC is so likely. He’s just hanging around hoping that Quintana is going to crack so that he can become the de facto leader.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only your POV there shirley?

Anyhoo’s a couple of breaks have tried to go but it’s all together before the first climb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France Stage 17 – Digne les Bains/Pra Loup – In the heart of the legend’ is closed to new replies.