Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Tour de France stage 19 – Albertville / Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc
  • lunge

Morning all, awesome looking stage this is, stunning.

The big star of the last week of the Tour de France is Western Europe’s highest peak: the Mont Blanc culminates at an altitude of 4808.73m. It’s been seen from the Grand Colombier on Sunday, from Finhaut-Emosson on Tuesday, from Megève on Wednesday but the closest place to the giant is Le Bettex, just above the town of Saint-Gervais. That’s where, back in 1990, Ronan Pensec took the yellow jersey the day he turned 27. More recently, that’s where Chris Froome won the second last stage of the 2015 Critérium du Dauphiné and prepared for his overall success. The ascent to Le Bettex is preceded by a little known but grueling climb: the côte des Amérands. A few hills on the course are unprecedented at the Tour de France, starting with the collet du Tamié, which is not a categorized climb even though it’s 50 metres higher than the often featured col du Tamié, two Forclaz – the Forclaz de Montmin and the Forclaz de Queige after the col de la Forclaz in Switzerland on Wednesday – and the Montée de Bisanne, classified hors category by the organizers. After taking his second stage victory in the uphill time trial from Sallanches to Megève, which came after his unexpected downhill victory at Bagnères-de-Luchon in the Pyrenees, Froome is yet to win uphill as he did in his previous campaigns for the yellow jersey. But he made it clear that he’s just happy to stay where he is in the overall ranking so he won’t chase breakaways down and the biggest fights to come are between the protagonists for second and third places on the podium, namely Bauke Mollema, Adam Yates, Nairo Quintana, Romain Bardet, Richie Porte and Fabio Aru.

Lumpy.

Very lumpy

It’ll be an interesting day this, but who will attack, and who will sit? To the Inrng

Chris Froome won here in 2015 (pictured) after Wout Poels paced him and he ditched Tejay van Garderen late on the last climb. He says he doesn’t want to win any more stages but why turn down the opportunity? Maybe he can set up a team mate, Wout Poels or another depending on their helper rotation policy.

Richie Porte needs to attack to climb onto the podium, he’s sixth overall and has to pick off his rivals with more than a late surge. He can do this on the final climb where Bauke Mollema might find the early slopes severe and there’s a time bonus waiting at the finish line.

Fabio Aru re-emerged yesterday with a surprise third place and if we’ve rediscovered the 2015 vintage then here is a course to suit the explosive climber with a mouth like a basking shark. Still it’s obvious he wants to move up the overall classification and if Team Sky don’t mind others will.

Everyone’s buried Nairo Quintana but the cooler conditions might suit him today. When he finished the stage two days ago it look him close to 90 minutes to provide a urine sample for the anti-doping control, a sign of massive dehydration and a rookie error. It’s still hard to see him winning but he could beat the downgraded expectations.

It’s not game over for Dan Martin either, he attacked on the summit finish two days ago could use his sprint. Similarly Adam Yates and Romain Bardet can jump well and a stage win is just possible if the stars align.

The two breakaway picks are Rafa? Majka and Ilnur Zakarin again, both are climbing very well and you tend to see the same faces in the moves in the final week. Let’s add Alexis Vuillermoz to the list too but he could be on Bardet-duty too.

And finally, a couple of pics from yesterday.

Froome, in full TT mode.

Dumoulin, my man crush on the hot seat.

Aru, good pain face.

mikey74
    Free Member

Isn’t it stage 19?

Thanks for doing this again, by the way.

lunge

Oh FFS, I’ve done it again, yes , it is 19, I’ll ask a mod to change it.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Firstly Lunge … Chapeau.

Im not about after today for the rest of the Tour, so getting my thanks in early for the great job you’ve done…. I rarely comment but your posts have helped for my fantasy team …. Good man

I’d like Froome for the win today.

He seems to have loads left in the tank and a summit finish awaits …. he’s answered every call the media/public have made on him…. He’ll do it again and we’ll finally love him for it.

anagallis_arvensis

Cant see Froome winning, it would mean Sky controlling the break and why would they? Unless Moviestar or Astana work early to keep the break in range but then why do that? Foome is too far ahead and the other contendorscare battling each other for the podium not a stage win.

salad_dodger

Thanks lunge for doing this every day, much appreciated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Froome has no reason to win today. Just defend.

Would love to see Poels get the stage as a reward though. #beast

forzafkawi
    Free Member

With positions 2-6 only separated by 1:08 the fight is going to be all about who gets on the podium behind Froome. Even Aru in 7th is only another 1:08 back so I’m sure he will also be in the mix after yesterday’s showing and Astana are looking stronger as a team now.

I think there will be a breakaway and the race up the final climb won’t be about the stage win so no interest for Froome to exert himself greatly. He will just be marking the other GC contenders who will almost certainly attack if they want to move up the GC and get on the podium. My biggest fear is that Adam Yates is going to get swamped and distanced by the multiple attacks which are sure to come from several contenders.

anagallis_arvensis

Yates has done great, winning the white jersey would be great anything else is a bonus, his time is still to come.

ferrals
    Free Member

plus 1 on the thanks to Lunge, been enjoying these threads.

Hopefully will be an exciting day, 2-6 have everything to play for.

Likewise worried for Adam Yates, but I reckon/hope the stage a few days ago shows he’s got more to give. Agree with A-A though, so long as he keeps the white jersey it will ahve been a great tour

whitestone
    Free Member

Adam Yates has 3 minutes on Louis Meintjes for the white jersey, he should be able to hold that if he doesn’t blow up trying to follow every attack by Porte, Mollema, et al.

scaredypants

I think it’s close enough “near” the top that one or two teams (BMC, Astana maybe) might really want to keep the time bonuses available for their leader and may try to control the whole stage. Doubt it’ll work though

mt
    Free Member

It’s going to be sh.t or bust for Quintana and Movistar today. Can see Valverde (drugs cheat) going for it on his own today. Fingers crossed for Yates.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Same old same old. It’s a hugely impressive performance from Sky and Froome. Expect the lead to go over 4 mins today, he’ll gain time on all of 2-10 (or not lose, at worst)…

D0NK

imgoing on my jollies today, will have wifi tonight but not fast enough for any sort of streaming (not that there will be any by the time I get there) anyone know the best way of getting highlights? Does ITV player work abroad? can I connect ipad once there and download the highlights? Any other highlights online shows?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that it is to Sky’s advantage to let a break from non-GC teams get away? That way GC-insignificant riders pick up the time bonuses and the GC is just down to time over the line. Plus Sky don’t get disliked (as much) for hoovering up all the wins.

jambalaya
    Free Member

DONK official TdF app has short highlights (often linked to on other websites) and is good for following stages in terms of info. ITV player doesn’t work abroad unless you have a uk vpn. Depending upon where you are going they may have a highlights show on. Various videos uploaded to youtube. Search around here (in French but English links too and from teams) linky

Looking forward to the stage and the scenery, Quintana looks done to me I think he’s off the podium for good. IMO Froome will extend again and tomorrow too with Porte the only rider capable of making up time. Tonight’s GC

Froome, Mollemo, Yates, Porte with much smaller gaps 2-4 and maybe Porte on the podium and closing down Mollemo. Maybe I am wrong but stage doesn’t look like one where Porte could a minute ?

anagallis_arvensis

Donk, google Mobdro

whitestone
    Free Member

@i_did_dab Yes, pretty much it. It’s why breakaways tend to succeed later in the Tour as the time gaps have become big enough that someone well back in the GC will be allowed to get away. But, if say three Movistar riders were in a breakaway and then sat three or four minutes ahead of the peloton (or the GC group) then it would be pretty obvious that they are waiting for Quintana/Valverde to make an attack and are there to help. So Froome, Mollema and Yates all have to be on their guard and assess everything that goes on.

beanum

There’s thunder and lightning here in Lausanne the other side of the pre-Alpes. I can’t imagine it’s going to be very nice weather at 1,700m today….

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS
    It really depends on whether Froome wants to rub their noses in it or just sit and spin to victory, I suspect he will follow Porte – might let him get a wee lead as he is a mate so he can attack the others but I doubt it. Essentially its game over barring bad luck

Junkyard
    Free Member

Movistar riders were in a breakaway and then sat three or four minutes ahead of the peloton (or the GC group) then it would be pretty obvious that they are waiting for Quintana/Valverde to make an attack

or that they really want to win the team GC

Either way I dont think either of them have the legs to attack Froome as has been shown on every other climb/stage.

colournoise

Keep getting the thought in the back of my mind that at some point Froome might want to help Porte and might go with him if he attacks…

whitestone
    Free Member

@junkyard – that was an example of why a breakaway *wouldn’t* be allowed to stay away not a scenario I think will happen.

shifter
    Free Member

That’s a great pic of Froomie up there.
    Thanks for all these posts Lunge.

faustus

Interesting stage. I think Froome will go with Porte too, and will maintain or increase his time over others. I hope Yates has a good day and keeps 3rd, just needs to play it well which he has so far, but I don’t think he can stop Porte taking time from him though. Those hills look horrible (especially the Montee de Bisanne), and if it is combined with rain/lightning it could be a very interesting day.

D0NK

cheers for the ideas fellas, hoping vpn and tdf highlights will work but might run into trouble so having other options is good.

Dunno if was it mentioned yesterday, watched TT highlights this morning, looked like froome was spat on early on in his run

anagallis_arvensis

Looked like someone chucked something at Yates at one point to

ferrals
    Free Member

Dunno if was it mentioned yesterday, watched TT highlights this morning, looked like froome was spat on early on in his run

I think someone threw what looked like a clear bottle containing a translucent yellow liquid at Froome too, kind of rolled on the road in front of him. Course they could have just dropped their apple juice piss pot

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’m thinking Aru is going to be the big mover today. He’s not done much so far but looked strong in the mountain time trial yesterday. Nibali finally looks like he is willing to work for him as well if Stage 17 is anything to go by. Nibali up the road on the previous climb with Aru hoping to link up with him on the final climb.

Aru is far enough back not to be a real threat to Froome and Sky so he might just be allowed to get a 1-2 minute gap on the final climb. That won’t adversely affect Froome that much but it could pull him right up on to the podium.

I wouldn’t totally rule out Quintana either. Although he has looked fragile on almost every stage, he didn’t have a bad result in the time trial yesterday either compared to the lower GC contenders and could get time on them. He’s actually only 45 seconds off Mollema’s second spot and could easily take that off him today.

Adam Yates might well lose time today as well I fear. Although he’s done brilliantly so far, he faded a bit in the time trial yesterday and could be feeling the pace.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see. When Nibali had the Tour tied up a couple of years ago he went up the road to win the stage while the podium chasers sat tight and marked each other. Froome could easily take advantage of this and do the same today. Or he could just sit tight with another hard day to come tomorrow.

Most predictable part of this stage is probably Sagan and Majka in the early break again to mop up the intermediate sprint and then early KOM points.

I’d watch out for Aru today. I’d not be surprised to see Astana try and get riders in the break and for Aru to try something early, maybe over the Bisanne if he’s got some help for the run to the final climb. (edit… what forzafkawi said!)

Reckon the rest of the top 6 will just sit tight till the last climb and see who looks weak.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

ferrals – Member

I think someone threw what looked like a clear bottle containing a translucent yellow liquid at Froome too, kind of rolled on the road in front of him. Course they could have just dropped their apple juice piss pot

There was a guy in a green hat that looked like he stepped out of the crowd on the right and gobbed at Froome. Later on something yellow seemed to be thrown on road in front of Froome. I replayed that incident several times and it looked to me like it was actually a young kid’s yellow hat which blew off by his reaction.

Froome didn’t miss a beat in either incident so I’m guessing it wasn’t a problem for him.

I loved the bit where the three moronic runners were gearing up for Froome’s passing and the Gendarme on the motorcycle cut them off!

iainc

great set of threads through the Tour, many thanks lunge.

A great morning read, then a catch up with the highlights every evening.

Getting just a little excited about getting on a plane to Paris on Sunday morning with my son to watch the entourage on the Champs Elysee 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Froome didn’t miss a beat in either incident so I’m guessing it wasn’t a problem for him.

Head down, huge effort, in an aero helmet, I doubt he even noticed.

D0NK

I replayed that incident several times and it looked to me like it was actually a young kid’s yellow hat which blew off by his reaction.

yeah, saw that too, I concur 🙂

lunge

Keep getting the thought in the back of my mind that at some point Froome might want to help Porte and might go with him if he attacks..

I have a feeling this might happen too. Best way to defend is to be up the road. Porte goes, Froome bridges across, they work together like old times, Porte takes the stage and gains 4 mins, Froome goes 8 mins up on GC.

Aru is also a good shout, though he’s not far enough behind the GC contenders to be given a free rein.

sputnik
    Free Member

It’s taken years but I’m glad to notice Froome is getting the recognition he deserves on this forum.

ferrals
    Free Member

Its funny how on Facebook the default reaction seems to be:
    a) he’s not british really
    b) he’s definately doping its just something that hasnt been discovered

He’s a bit like Kelly Slater (12x world champ) in surfing: talks a bit like an android but is obviously completely focussed on the task in hand.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have to say the ideal scenario is Froomes riding and Brads press conferences
    He is a bit of a personality void and this will always fuel the haters and the legacy of cycling is little more than the history of drug cheats

D0NK

I don’t think lack of entertaining press conferences and toys/pram strops = personality void, there’s a broad spectrum between diva and complete none person. But agree he isn’t as charismatic off the bike as others.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France stage 19 – Albertville / Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc’ is closed to new replies.