Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tour de France – Champs Elysee
  • younggeoff

OK complete newbie to this, fancy going to see the finish of the tour so what’s the best way.

Book own flights / hotels and just turn up and hope or go with a package?

Thoughts / experiences please

j_me
    Free Member

It’ll be rammed. I’ve never been but would prefer to find a nicer, quieter, earlier stage to enjoy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Best go and stake out your spot now, before the crowds get there.

I’m serious; it gets several people deep up by the barriers once the peloton hit the CE. Some folk camp out to get a good spot.

lazybike
    Free Member

unless your Chris Tremlett, take some ally steps with you…seriously, its the only way you’ll see anything.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but then that’s selfish cos people behind you can’t see anything…

t_i_m
    Free Member

what elfin said +1
    No need to book a package, just turn up very early on the day.
    NB: they do so many laps that a lot of people will start to lose some interest after the first few, so if your French is any good you can prob get away with asking to go nearer the front for one lap.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If you get there about 4 or 5 hours before they peloton gets there you should get to the front. I wouldnt bank on getting anywhere to stay by just turning up though – that includes campsites.

40mpg

I went last year and it was a great atmosphere. 26 of us cycled from Cherbourg over 3 days, we stayed in a novotel/etap at versailles which is far enough out to not be full but an easy trip in on the metro.

Don’t bother getting there early to get near the front, as you will get pushed back by French kids anyway. Definitely do find a stool or steps and stand at the back as you will get a much better view. It was about 7 people deep all up and down the Champs Elysees. Also you can turn up last minute after enjoying a relaxing morning in the bar, look at LA’s bike in the Nike store and get fleeced for a load of TdF tat. They don’t give out freebies on the circuit so you won’t miss anything there.

Definitely worth going if you are any sort of TdF fan though, and better than out on the stages as they come past 7 times.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve seen it twice in Paris and wouldn’t bother – its totally rammed unless you get there at silly o’clock and not really worth it imo. I’d suggest going to see a different stage.

tollah
    Free Member

I’ve driven over before, day return. Got there about 11am the crowds were about 10deep, after a while we got through to the front and witnessed all 10 laps hanging over the barrier. I prefer the mountain stages myself so won’t do the CE again. Worth it if you’ve not been as it’s a great day out.

Colin-T

The year LA won his 7th I was there at about 6am to bag a good spot as near the finish as possible. Had a few friends with me so the waiting was fine.

I’m glad I did it once, not sure I’d do it again.

Mountain finishes are great, probably my favourite stages to spectate at but its hard to know whats going on and the riders only go past once (but you might have quite a while between the leaders and the autobus).

MartinGT
    Free Member

I went a couple of years ago, did what Colin-T did. But didnt get there that early, about 10am and got a spot at the front.

marco
    Free Member

My missus took me last year for my b/day on 23rd. Really great day but very busy. Try and get at the end near the arc de triumph as it is quits a big corner. Plenty of hotel rooms on the outskirs and the Metro is a doddle to get around on. Go and see a bit of history when Mr Wiggins wins this year eh?

crazy-legs

Good day out, there’s always a really friendly atmosphere with all nationalities somehow seeming to understand each other perfectly, everyone sharing food, drink etc. Just be prepared for a lot of standing around and a very long wait!

Those in the know take little folding stools, umbrellas, lots to eat and drink and go with mates otherwise someone will nick your place when you wander off to the loo.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Mr Wiggins wins this year eh?

😆 He wont make the top 10.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

In ’09 we hot footed it from Ventoux and saw them through on the CEthe next day, got there about 10am after a crepe or two, manage to insinuate ourselves to the front fairly easily.

I much preferred Ventoux, you could see more, for longer. Though it was interesting to see the finish.

Paris was weird too. Ventoux – real carnival atmosphere. Paris – 30 yards away you wouldn’t know there was a bike race on.

ourmaninthenorth

He wont make the top 10.

Not if he’s out riding in the rain like he was yesterday morning as I drove to work.

MartinGT
    Free Member

after a crepe or two

Stick to bottled water next time 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hey look if you’ve not been then surely it’s one thing to do eh..
    I’ve been luky enough to have been to the C’E final a few times and yes it’s busy, but thats the nature of the finale’ yeah? Sure Parisiens will come out to watch, sure they’re doing just what you are trying to do, watch…
    But it’s great fun, just be firm where you stand, give a bit and take a bit the whole event moves like a mexican wave anyway and no need to stick to one place, move along somewhere else if it’s crowded…

Watch pick pockets mind..
    And drunked Dutch..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think it’s one of those events if you’ve always fancied doing it, go as you’ll love it, as long as you are aware that they will fly by and you may not get very close. We di Paris-Roubaix this year and it was awesome! We even chased the race, watched the start jumped in the car to Arenburg then raced it and jstu got to the carrefoure watching the attack. We were super lucky though and had a phenomenal time. It was the experience of being in amongst it watching the pro’s with millions of like minded bikers around, crazy drunk Belgian’s and just a general awesome atmosphere. In 2006 when Floyd won the now famous Morzine stage our mates schelpped up to Col de Joux Plane to watch we weren’t inrerested so went out MTBing however as we came down Super Morzine home we could see TdF coming up the valley and raced it down! Ended up stood on a journos motorbike ON the finish line watching what is now a legendary stage. It was great. go you’ll love it as long as you are realistic.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France – Champs Elysee’ is closed to new replies.