Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tour de Cairngorms – Inner loop
  • Kunstler

I’m thinking of doing this as a day ride next week. I’ll be doing it clockwise. Anything I need to know? I’m aware of the bridge at Derry Lodge being washed away. It doesn’t affect my route but I’m wondering about the state of the rest of the route – I figure there may be some wash out from the same storm a couple of months back though I guess if it was anything significant I would have heard about it.

Kunstler

Hello evening folks.

boxelder

Where’s scotroutes when you need him…..?

scotroutes

Yo!

You know about Derry. The only other thing I’m aware of is that some of the track through Feshie has suffered – but is still passable. I don’t know if I can persuade TJ to go back with me with some tools again, though I think it might now be beyond two old codgers abilities.

There are still some fairly big path repairs going on over the back of Bynack Mor and towards Fords of Avon but they’ll not get in your way (though the f-off water bars they are installing are a major PITA).

FWIW, it’s been a fairly dry few days and everything in the northern half has dried out (though I’m aware it was raining in Braemar this evening).

DavidB
    Free Member

Everything you need to know in here htriders excellent blog

chickenman

A big day out with great scenery and quite a bit of good riding.
    However; the part between Ryvoan Bothy and the top of the Lairig an Loaigh is continuous on and off the bike; the section between Linn of Dee and the Eidart Waterfall is scenically dull and quite fustrating near the bridge; there is little in the way of quality descent on the route.
    Maybe I got a bad impression of the route from having done it anti-clockwise…big mistake!

Kunstler

Thanks folks. David, that was a great read. If it’s stays dry till next Thursday I won’t worry about river levels but it sounds like the trails are not in good condition – or likely to be without some serious repair work.

Still, it’s an adventure eh?

AlasdairMc

On the inner loop, the only river crossings I can think of are on the Gaick Pass and at the Fords of Avon. The latter will be impassible after prolonged heavy rain.

We were doing the full race route a few weeks back (the weekend before the flooding) and had to bail before starting the outer loop as the Geldie Burn turned from a shallow stream to a raging torrent in spate overnight. We stopped at Feshiebridge rather than risk it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tour de Cairngorms – Inner loop’ is closed to new replies.