Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tour de ben nevis, similar route
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So I’ve been having a wee look at the results of this, 4.15! is stupidly beyond me at this time, i reckon if i managed it in under 10 hours i’d be doing well right now but anyway..

Me and my mate were talking about maybe entering some kinda similar event next year. Something to aim for atleast maybe, just a thought process at the moment.So looking at some sort of easy to get to training route. My thinking, is heading up to somewhere like arrochar, which i reckon if you could do both the south Ardgarten pennisula and the Glen Loin loop as a figure of 8 you are approaching something along the right distance and climbing.

I’ve plotted both the ben nevis route and the arrochar routes on mapmyride(I know this isn’t accurate, but it’ll do for comparison purposes, they are from the same source) and they seem to come out fairly similar, 42 miles, with around 3300ft of climbing for arrochar. and the tour de ben nevis worked out at 44miles – 3100ft of elevation.

just wondering what your thoughts are? Do you think it’s a fair route comparison, i’m thinking the TdBN could be quite a bit rougher terrain wise though, as arrochar is mostly fireroad.. What was the TdBN terrain like(I know the WHW part but nothing beyond that.)?

Other plan is to come up with a route around mugdock to build up on, pretty sure i’ll be able to plan a 22 mile loop around there with enough climbing.

davidrussell
    Free Member

i wouldn’t worry too much about which route you take, more riding will mean better fitness and that can only be a positive thing.

rugbydick

The fastest time on the TdBN was actually about 3h47min, so even more stupidly beyond you… 😯

13thfloormonk

The Tour De Ben Nevis route would in general be rougher and looser, even the fire road bits. Even the double track leading up from Mamore Lodge is rougher and looser than most of the Ardgartan stuff.

I reckon the Auchindrain loop from Inveraray would be a good (nearby) alternative, not sure of the distance but it feels like a biggish day, very wet and rocky in places and lots of water crossings.

Alternatively do a ‘Tour de Glen Kinglass’ from Bridge of Orchy which would be a big old day with a similar sort of mix of terrain, although I’ve not ridden/pushed the section on the shore of Loch Etive.

seosamh77
    Free Member

i wouldn’t worry too much about which route you take, more riding will mean better fitness and that can only be a positive thing.

Aye totally, just my thoughts are I don’t think it’d enter unless I know I could do it in under 8 hours preferably under 7, if i could i’d go for it just purely for the experience of riding in an event. So I would like to build up on a similar route so i know what i’m likely to be like(hopefully not last! :D), never done any kinda event type thing before.

My mate on the other hand thinks he’s a contender, but more likely to do struggle to do under 6h if your ask me!

So for me, it’s a case of finding a route to do so that i know i could finish it, for him, well it’s just about managing his expectations!

seosamh77
    Free Member

The fastest time on the TdBN was actually about 3h47min, so even more stupidly beyond you…

Jebus, save me! :mrgreen:

seosamh77
    Free Member

Alternatively do a ‘Tour de Glen Kinglass’ from Bridge of Orchy which would be a big old day with a similar sort of mix of terrain, although I’ve not ridden/pushed the section on the shore of Loch Etive.

Good shout, always planned to do that but never did get round to it!

davidrussell
    Free Member

Hey,

I get your thinking on that. The only thing i’d say is that “race” pace and a ride with your mates are different – you naturally get caught up in the atmosphere and go harder than you would if it was just a ride. Thats where the fitness and stamina come in though as you can go faster for longer.

Technically TDBN wasn’t difficult, so its only time thats against you. I’m carrying a lot of holiday* weight and managed 6:18 which put me just outside the top 100. The slowest finished was c.9 hours so at 7-8 hours you’ll still be right in the middle of the field. Dont let it get to you though about the time, ride it, experience it and enjoy it then work out where you could improve. I bet a lot of fast riders made mistakes that cost them time but thats racing – anything could happen. In fact the fastest finisher was out of the running after missing a stage dibber so dont rule out a good performance before you start 🙂

*magaluf 14 years ago i think it started. before any of my smart arse mates jump in. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool, thanks david, always good to hear what others think! 🙂

wallace1492
    Free Member

Hi Seosamh77. Well, I did both the routes you mention. We did the Ardgarten/Glen Loin double in June I think, starting from the Arrochar Cap Park, was a tough day out, but very enjoyable in good weather. Then did TdBN route in August, again mostly good weather, but chucked it down on last bit from FW to KLL (We started at KLL)

Found the TdBN route harder, with the surface of the tracks much more demading, and it is far more wild country feeling to it (as it is indeed more remote) Argarted/Glen Loin is not as demanding, although there is rather a large amount of climbing.

As has been said, any big riding is going to help. Try a couple of circuits of Glen Finglas, another one I do for fitness is up the WHW to Killearn, then back the pipe track to Blanefield, up to Boards Farm and back via Muggers. Session Rosy’s, Cuilt and Khyber also….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wallace, aye that was my thinking, as i say i’ve done the whw bit, i only imagine the track getting rougher the more remote it gets!

The mugdock route your describe is more or less my standard route, just need to add in a bit more climbing and distance i think to may a good loops to do 2 laps of on that one!

wallace1492
    Free Member

I am hoping to build up to a WHW single (non stop), from FW to Mlgy next year, but doing the FW to KLL section made me realise how daunting this will be.

I too need some longer, hilly routes for training!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tour de ben nevis, similar route’ is closed to new replies.