Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tour De Ben Nevis 2013
  • bobnitro
    Free Member

Hi,
    Anyone else signed up for this year’s TDBN?
    not long now!!!

Bob

Northwind

Still on the fence. I like everything about it apart from the river crossings 😆 Past experience says I can rise to any challenge as long as I have dry feet.

swavis

I would but the OH is doing the “Ride like a Grrl” event down in Inshriach the same day. I’m gutted as it’s a great event and I reckon my nice new Bandit 29 would’ve been perfect for it.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Done it last year.. loved it apart from the brutal hike-a-bike! Was going to do it again this year but other half booked a holiday for the same time. 8)

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Just entered, pretty excited, I’m riding a green gyro so say hi if you see me.

bobnitro
    Free Member

Nice one!

Im off to the canteen for some chips.

supercally
    Free Member

I’m going, been booked for ages as I wanted to do it last year but it clashed with getting married HA! What bikes/tyres are people using?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I’m using a 120mm 29er with ardent rear hans dampf front non tubeless. Be reet.

scotroutes

Next year – honest!

supercally
    Free Member

I’m going with my 100mm hard tail, with high rollers and Fire XC Pros, the descents are going to be a challenge but I’ve done my fair share of remote rocky stuff with this set up to feel comfortable on it. Anyone got any secret target times their gunning for?

themightysimmonite
    Free Member

Was\am still thinking of doing this next weekend.
    It’s a route I’ve had my eye on for a couple of years now.

Went to register and have been put off by the £50 entry fee.
    Looking at what I get for my cash it doesn’t really look like good value for money.
    Anyone who’s done it in the past care to offer an opinion on this?

I’ve done a few road sportive rides and for between £30-40 you get loads of grub, signage, a t-shirt, goody bag, mech support, broom wagon etc.

What does the TDBN offer?

I don’t mind paying a few quid esp when the ‘profit’s’ go to a decent charity (Ride with Brad & Pedal for Scotland) but the TDBN looks like it’s a commercial company with any surplus going to into the back pockets of the organisers.
    Don’t get me wrong I know folk need to earn a crust but will I get VFM from this event.

What response would I get if I just pitched up and rode around without bothering with an event number or bothering any event infrastructure.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m doing it as 3 Peaks training.

Spin
    Free Member

What response would I get…

The route is there all year. You can do it any time you like and compare your time with the race results.

Going round it knowingly on the day of the race seems a bit tight. I’d say pay the money or do it some other time.

You are right that it’s a commercial company. It’s not money in their back pocket. It’s just how they make their money. If you don’t like it don’t pay it.

dazzlingboy

Yep – signed up – still don’t know which bike to go for

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-bike-fortour-de-ben-nevis

any other thoughts?

kcal

Did it a couple years ago (might have been the first one actually) and loved it, river crossings were, ah, interesting (and high and chilly). I ended up going back over a couple times to help slighter folk get across without too much risk of getting swept downstream or knocked sideways.

Venerable M2 hardtail with about 100mm forks, it was fine, even the KLL descent was a hoot, helped by a bit of momentum and a clear run ahead – hung back so most of the field were well ahead.

For the cash you get the organisation, marshals, timings, the bringing folk together. Doing it alongside the real event on the day? hm, I’ve heard of cheeky trails but that’s going a bit far!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Entered the other day, rode it in 2011 and hoping to improve my time.

Has everyone had the confirmation emails? Haven’t had mine yet but I’m on the entry list. Email address has changed from 2 years ago, but you can’t change the account/newsletter email address so assuming they just send it to which ever email you’ve put down on your last entry?

bobnitro
    Free Member

If you’re after goodies, then spend your £50 on chain reaction cycles and ride the trail another day.

But if you want to be part of something EPIC, and soak up the buzz and banter, and have a great day of camaraderie with likeminded people, then take the hit for £50 and come enjoy yourself!

Yeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaa!

Northwind

themightysimmonite – Member

What response would I get if I just pitched up and rode around without bothering with an event number or bothering any event infrastructure.

Fraser will wee on your shoes.

dipper
    Free Member

we’ll all wee on your shoes! nofuss do a great job. if they didnt make a profit they wouldnt be able to do what they do and we’d all be worse off.

if you cant afford it then by all means do it another time but turning up and doing the event on the day without paying is out of order. if you keel over from exhaustion, heatstroke(fingers crossed its sunny), fall off on a doonhill, get lost or half drown in the river im sure your £50 will seem worth it then!

Sanny
    Free Member

If the OP is not taking advantage of any of the facilities being offered by the organiser, what does it matter if he decides to ride it on the day? The organiser isn’t losing a sale as it doesn’t sound like the OP considers it value for money.

Personally, I’d probably be happy to pay £50 not to ride the route with hundreds of other folk but then organised mtb events and races and pish like Strava simply don’t float my boat and never have. 😀 Each to their own though! It’s been years since I rode the route but it was a terrific day out. I’m sure everyone will have a rare old time.

Cheers

Sanny

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Get signed up and do it, its a great race and an awesome day out

Stage 1 is a cracking descent – mind the waterbars and dont puncture!

The river crossing was nay bad last year, you could ride 95% of it and was only knee deep at worst

Then into the hike-a-bike, you’ve never seen so many false summits in your life, but its great!

Stage 4 was a right technical blast as well.

True, you can ride the route any day of the year, but the atmosphere on fort william high street as you start is amazing 😀

Enjoy!

Northwind

Sanny – Member

If the OP is not taking advantage of any of the facilities being offered by the organiser,

Apart from the route planning, the waymarking etc?

legend
    Free Member

and probably the medical support if it goes tits-up

Northwind

…and the chat and atmosphere, which is really what it’s about for most people

supercally
    Free Member

Having done Bike Balmoral earlier in the year, it was a little cheaper to enter and a lot smaller (86 doing to 50K distance) it was still amazing and well worth the entry fee irrespective of the fact it was for charity. things like the timing chips, marshals, medical assistance, and way-marking were amazing and the vibe when riding with such a number of other riders was brilliant. Really looking forward to this, if £50 is your issue surely you’d spend that going to FW at another time of year anyway seems really not in the spirit of things to just turn up and ride the route out with the event.

redsank
    Free Member

Tour De Ben Nevis

Yep top trails, great atmosphere well worth a shot if you want to see Scotland by mountain bike. Hopefully there will be more grup at the pitstops than last year 2012 but go prepared just in case. I’m doing it again for the second time so bring it on and good luck all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ4SJdqtig8

dazzlingboy

Signed up months ago and am showing on the “entered” list on the website but apart from a receipt at the time I haven’t heard a dickie bird – have I missed any important emails?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just got the final email, the nerves have kicked in haha!

hels
    Free Member

I might be selling my entry cheap if anybody wants it ? Have emailed Frazer and co asking what the drill is – I think I can change the name on it. Might as well not lose a whole £50 !

steffy-boy
    Free Member

Hels if you are still looking to sell, I’d be interested in buying your place.
    Stephen.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tour De Ben Nevis 2013’ is closed to new replies.