Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tougher tyres for dry stony coniferous forests
  • j2b2
    Free Member

Hi
    I am riding right now in dry stony conditions with a lot of pine needles and thorns etc and am getting through a lot of inner tubes- any recomendations for a more puncture proof tyre than my current Hutchinson Pythons? A tad more lateral grip would be great but I am mostly riding fire roads so Pythons seemed just ok grip wise.
    Thanks!

kerley
    Free Member

You just need to go tubeless. I used to get loads of punctures when running tubes where I live (dry stony forest with flinty bits of stone).

A fast tubeless tyre for those conditions is Conti Race King or Trail King or even a mountain king on front for loads of grip. (only recommending as I seem to just use Continental)

oldnpastit

+1 for tubeless.

j2b2
    Free Member

Thanks. Is it worth also considering a tyre with a layer of protection like a schwalbe marathon?

tomd
    Free Member

Thanks. Is it worth also considering a tyre with a layer of protection like a schwalbe marathon?

No, tubeless is probably a better idea. The protection layer makes the tyre heavy and “stiff” and doesn’t help with grip. More suited to commuting or touring when reliability and durability over high milleage is the main thing.

redthunder
    Free Member

Panaracer fire xc. But I,ve always used panaracers so I’m biased.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tougher tyres for dry stony coniferous forests’ is closed to new replies.