• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Sum.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tough, wide, cheap cyclo cross tyres
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Hi Any recommendations for a tough and wide (say 35mm) cyclo cross tyre.

When I say tough I mean puts up a bit of a fight against punctures.

Cheap would be ideal, but 3 out of 3 might not be possible?

Oh and while I’m at it not too heavy rolling.

(moon on a stick??)

Thanks

cannondaleking
    Free Member

schwalbe nobby nic mate come in 700×34 or 35 not sure of the top of my swede but either or.

crikey
    Free Member

Panaracer mach ss.

ajf
    Free Member

Shwalbe landcruisers, got puncture protection.

I got 700×45 on my crosscheck. Seem good enough for 3 peakers so good enough for my commute and the odd bit of local woods.

birdage

I don’t know if they are tough but I haven’t had any punctures yet with the Smart Sams yet on the South Downs and have now bought 3 different sizes so impressed with them. Roll really well on rode too. Think they do a puncture proof version? Cheap on Next Day tyres.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Funny enough, my Smart Sams have been superb on the South Downs, though they get quite exciting on short wet grass. But they seem to be struggling with one section, where I have had 4 punctures in 5 days. I think there is some sharp broken flint they cant cope with.

I hope to commute off road this winter and I’m not sure the smart sam will cope very well with wet chalk, so will consider the other options.

benji
    Free Member

schwalbe nobby nic mate come in 700×34 or 35 not sure of the top of my swede but either or.

Are you sure? no mention on the schwalbe website, have used the rocket rons, racing ralphs and rapid robs without destroying them.

plumber
    Free Member

land cruisers/conti twisters are the onoly ones I’ve used – both were very good

smokey_jo

Schwalbe cx comps come in 35 are cheap and grip well off road too. Not had huge amounts of punctures, 1 or 2 but only when seriously off-road.

Kenda Small block 8 come in 35 too…

f757lkk
    Free Member

Is it for short circuit cx racing, commuting or just trail riding?

If you’re looking for a three peaks tyre then +1 for the Landcruisers, almost indestructible and dirt cheap think mine were a tenner each, roll pretty fast on the road too. Not a proper competition CX tyre but the only choice for the three peaks.

vincienup
    Free Member

My wired Maxxis Raze’s (32mm) as recommended by someone else on here as a good moon-on-stick option have made me very happy. So far no flats due to ordinary puncture stuff (did destroy a tube in a bizarre kerb hop gone spectacularly wrong one morning…)

And only £11 a go from that nice Mr CRC.

They’re showing all signs of outlasting my previous Contis by a massive amount.

unovolo
    Free Member

+1 for the Maxxis Raze.
    Got them on my mutant CX mtb/cross

Loads of grip & roll well on tarmac,slightly skittish on gravel but my awesome bike handling skills can cope with that 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

Landcruisers in 35mm, loads get used on the peaks ,I did it 5 times without a puncture

scotroutes

Another Raze fan. I’ve been using the 35s and I’m very pleased with them. Mounted on an Arch EX rim they come up huge!!!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, it is for general riding/commuting, not racing.

Plenty of options to consider.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I rode my land cruisers (schwalbe) around cannock, dalby (both without any punctures I might add!) and soon to be the three peaks. I have absolute confidence in these tyres, I have very little confidence in my ability to fit the tyres without pinching them.

Edric64
    Free Member

easy to it landcruisers they go on without tyre levers

p7rich
    Free Member

Interesting (i keep flatting my new cx bike). Cruisers or Razes? Cruiser twice the weight of the Razes…?

boxelder

Land cruisers don’t puncture because they’re thick and heavy. I’ve used Panaracer cindercross on last two 3 pos without any issues – more grip and faster rolling (and I’m no lightweight).
    For on/off road commute I use conti – speed cross or whatever they are. Cheap and no issues.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m liking my ritchey Excavaders in 35mm

somafunk

if it’s for general riding on tarmac roads with occasional excursions onto decent paths/bridleways (if your down south) then what about the Clement X’Plor USH which comes in at 35mm wide?, perhaps a bit dear at £30 a tyre though.

I’ve got the Clement X’PLOR MSO in 40mm and Strada LGG in 28mm for my Kinesis Tripster ATR and they’re fantastic tyres.

Sum
    Free Member

I use Vittoria Randonneur Pro and Cross tyres for commuting on and off-road. On One are selling them half price or better. They roll better than a Schwalbe Marathon Plus, easier to fit and I haven’t had a puncture yet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tough, wide, cheap cyclo cross tyres’ is closed to new replies.