• This topic has 56 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dazh.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Tough Road Sportives for 2014
  • rusty90
    Free Member

Show me an Audax with 2000 folk doing it and I’ll agree

Fair enough. I know of an Audax in January that had 2 riders in it, and one of them was the organiser!
    I think a key difference is that Audax results just show who finished within the time limit(s), in alphabetical order of name. No times given, so none of the pretend race feeling of a Sportive.

Edric64
    Free Member

Show me an Audax with 2000 folk doing it and I’ll agree.

Paris Brest Paris has over 3000 finishers

Edric64
    Free Member

Part of the joy of Audax is that there are not thousands of people because they are low key and not run by profiteers

miketually
    Free Member

Is the following describing an Audax or a sportive?

* A set route over a known distance
    * Your time is recorded
    * Not a race

🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Sportive – middle aged men pretending to race

Audax – slightly older men pretending not to race

I have half an eye on the White Peak Epic – 100 miles and 13000 feet of climbing. Could ride to the start 30 miles each way as a warmup and cooldown….

Edric64
    Free Member

Sportive – middle aged men pretending to race

Audax – slightly older men pretending not to race

But you cant check in early or late on an Audax ,average speed controls !

clubber
    Free Member

Part of the joy of Audax is that there are not
    thousands of people because they are low key
    and not run by profiteers

Rubbish. We just want your money. And we had over 500 riders.

http://audax.lvis.org.uk

We do provide cake and fun in return mind. Oh and we give most of it to charity.

Come to think of it we’re rubbish profiteers.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member

What is it about this place that means when someone asks for recommendations of X, loads of folk turn up and offer Y and Z instead? OP asked for sportives, not road races or audax, no matter how hard they might be.

Also I’m sure, even though the tour is passing through next year, that Paris, Brest isnt in Yorkshire.

As well as the white rose classic, toughest sportive in Yorkshire, pop along to the Otley reliability ride if you think you’re tough enough.

LardLover
    Free Member

I’m doing the Moss Trooper Audax next year, and the Fred Whitton again if I can get a place.

tod456
    Free Member

I did this over the summer http://www.chasethesun.org/ and it was free…. so not sure what you call it!

miketually
    Free Member

I did this over the summer http://www.chasethesun.org/ and it was free…. so not sure what you call it!

That’s a nice concept. There’s a similar thing from London to Dunwich, starting in London in the dark and riding overnight to sunrise at the beach – the Dunwich Dynamo.

tod456
    Free Member

mt, 2 guy’s in my club did that this year too, sounds like a good ride too.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    the Bowland Badass may well not be running in 2014 but we’re thinking up another big one….

Bugger, I had my eye on doing this, esp since it starts where I live 🙁
    167miles with 18500ft of climbing sounded like fun 😀

minichops
    Free Member

Richmond 100 is pretty tough, but ‘well balanced’ in that you can still try for a fast time and feel like you’ve mastered the course.
    That’s Richmond N. Yorks. Last Saturday in May. Brilliantly organised, £15 entry fee. No nonsense like event t shirts etc.
    Stang, fleet moss and park rash are the 3 main climbs, but lots more ascent along the way. Quiet roads, fantastic scenary.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

+1 for the RvC, if it’s wet the climbs will be tricky.

Rode the Richmond 100 a couple of years back, think it was called the 7 Dales Sportive then, and it was fantastic, pork pies at the feed stops as well 😀

DavidB
    Free Member

Save cash and get yourself 40 sportives in one convenient box you can then pick and choose when you do them I must admit to a little bias

dazh

Thanks for the tip on the RvC. Just entered. I now have my motivation to keep riding right through the winter.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Tough Road Sportives for 2014’ is closed to new replies.