• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • tough sidewalled 29'' tyres.
  • ton

looking for some 2.4ish 29” tyres, but i need tough side walls.
    whats good?

muggomagic

I’ve been impressed by the new GRID casing specialized tyres. They feel really solid and stiff.

transporter13
    Free Member

Ill second that… Ive got the normal spesh 2bliss tyres and a mate has just bought the butcher/slaughter in the grid casing… Much sturdier
    They are on my shopping list

sambob
    Free Member

Schwalbe Super Gravity?

OwenP

I’m guessing “at a reasonable weight”, otherwise yeah, lots of dh tyres to choose from.

At the lighter end, for me (riding over sharp flints at lowish pressures), I’ve had good results with Vittoria TNT casing tyres (old Geax), Bontrager and as above, Specialized. Bad experiences with Maxxis Exo and the worst have been Continental Protection tyres.

Hard to objective on it from my limited sampling, but I based my Vittoria choice on a similar thread off here and it was a good move!

singlespeedstu

Maxxis do dual ply DH casings if you want proper tough.
    For something a little lighter but stiff tough
    try Maxxis Double Defence or Schwalbe Super Gravity.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but i need tough side walls.

Wer’e not doing anything rough on Saturday, so don’t go getting ideas!

Northwind

The minion dh is obviously a beast… But it’s lighter than usual for a maxxis dh tyre because it’s foldy bead. WTB TCS Tough range might have something for you that’s less mad though?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Bontrager SE range are surviving the South Downs flints well. SE5 (HR2 but better grip and rolling) up front and SE3 on the rear (ardent with better side grip). When it’s muddy it’s Michelin wild mud Enduro casings.

The Bonty tyres are well priced as well (might get a discount if you speak to Evolution Cycles Eastbourne if you mention the Galactic Dictator pointed you in they’re direction).

Yetiman
    Free Member

Bontrager SE range are surviving the South Downs flints well. SE5 (HR2 but better grip and rolling) up front and SE3 on the rear (ardent with better side grip)

I’ve got the SE5 out back at the moment and I’m really really liking it. My E13’s are also doing a sterling job, just a shame they’re a bit spendy.

ton

new bike came with trail kings, and they are crap. feel like they are trying to roll off the rim when cornering.
    i am a lump so there will be some pressure going through em i suppose.

transporter13
    Free Member

Thats exactly the same issue I’m having with the control version of the specialized tyres i have.
    The grid version don’t squirm at all and I’m a fair bit heavier than you.

qwerty
    Free Member

Spesh GRID or WTB Tough would get my vote, I like WTBs offerings at present.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

qwerty is spot on, either of those, though if you want 2.4 it’ll be WTB not Spesh…

qwerty
    Free Member

All easy to choose from:

Spesh = control/grid/dh = get stickier as you go more gnar+.

WTB = Tough or light & high grip or fast.

You don’t need a PHD to figure out what tyre you need.

stevied
    Free Member

New Maxxis DH 29er?

ton

You don’t need a PHD to figure out what tyre you need.

but you possibly do to buy a cup of coffee in Eastbourne? 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

WTB Trail Boss (‘Tough’)
    Hutchinson (Any UST)
    Mavic Crossride Quest

ton

wtb toughs ordered. look a bit more easy rolling than others.

DezB
    Free Member

Good choice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘tough sidewalled 29'' tyres.’ is closed to new replies.