• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by J0N.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tough rodie tyre… Michelin Krylion Carbon or Schawlbe Duranos
  • OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Narrowed it down to the 2 above. Currently using schawlbe marathon supreme 32c on the cross bike for commuting, touring and training. These are amazing and not totally worn, despite about 6000 miles of riding! However getting new wheels and want something lighter, but tough – around 25c. The schwalbe's have proven puncture free and very grippy, so duranos seem a good bet, however the michelins are better value and I hear good things of these!

Anyone used either?

scaredypants

sorry – haven't used either

I've found:
    spesh roubaix armadillo very durable – probably indestructible (23 carcass with enough rubber on it to make up to 25, I read somewhere)
    Maxis re-fuse pretty good so far (and more give in the carcass than the spesh so maybe better ride/grip though haven't found the spesh slippy anyway)
    I don't rate contis (gp4000s or ultragatorthingy) so highly (though many love 'em)

radoggair
    Free Member

michelins in 23c have been good for me. Got 1 puncture over 1000's miles but thats it. Quite durable as well and very cheap which helps. Cant comment on Schwalbes though

schmiken

Krylions are crap! Michelins have no grip, the Schwalbes are miles better. Both of the serious crashes I've had on the road bike have been due to Michelin tyres – Speediums once, then Krylions the second time.

MrGreedy

Schwalbe Duranos (25c) came as stock on my Focus – after about 2000 miles they have quite a few cuts and could probably do with replacing before long. The roads round here do get quite a lot of flint shards but even so I'm a bit disappointed with their durability.

Edit: For balance I should add that I've had no problems with the ride, nice and grippy and fairly light for 25s too.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Mmmm, thought the Krylions were good and grippy, also heard that Vederstien Fortezza Tricomp may be an option – only 23c though.

I do like my schwalbes… but duranos seem to be around £28+ and harder to get in the 25c non raceguard guise (want to keep weight down).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

big fan of the Krylions – good balance of toughness, grip and wear (and price)

your statement a good example of the unscientific nature of forums schmiken.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Michelin don't grip lol

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Mr Greedy- You're disappointed with 2000 miles on a tyre? Blimey.

Anyway, Schwalbes. Always.

MrGreedy

Mr Greedy- You're disappointed with 2000 miles on a tyre? Blimey

Shouldn't I be? They are called Durano after all, which kind of implies durability.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

From that you're probably best off with conti 4 seasons. Tough, light-ish and with an acceptable level of grip.

Wouldn't go michelin myself, and my schwalbes were ok but nothing special

OmarLittle
    Free Member

bontrager race lite hardcase are pretty tough

schmiken

reggiegasket – Member

big fan of the Krylions – good balance of toughness, grip and wear (and price)
    your statement a good example of the unscientific nature of forums schmiken.

I love my Conti 4 Seasons and also the Grand Prixs as well. I've used Vittorias, Michelins, Contis, Hutchinsons, Schwalbes and Kendas and without a doubt the only good Michelins were the Pro2s. All their others have been rubbish.

IHN

I've had the same pair of 25mm Krylions for aaaaages. No complaints

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Since I bought my new road bike I've done 900 miles on Krylion's (carbon version). No punctures yet. They seem nicer than other road tyres I've used, including gatorskins and Bonty Race Lites.

Alek
    Free Member

Krylion's for me here too. Been superb in all conditions.

Would definitely buy again.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Cool, also hear that vredestien Fortezza tri comps are good? 23c only though which is not ideal…

cheers_drive

1500miles on Krylions without a puncture on some pretty bad North Somerset roads. Had Bontrager hardcase before which were bombproof but heavy and felt wooden.

colande
    Free Member

had the exactly the same dilemma as the wholesaler I have access to only stock schwalbe and michelin
    my very unscientific choice went to the duranos 😀
    maybe because in schwalbe I trust,

but saying that I also have much love for conti's gatorskins

the duranos are meant to be the most durable road(racing) tyre that schwalbe have, expected tread life is stated at over 6500 miles,
    michelin states 5000 miles on krylions

brakes
    Free Member

I'm using 23C Krylions on my commuter at the moment – only had one slip on them, and that was turning hard on a manhole cover in the wet…
    They feel really comfortable to me, even at 110 psi – they seem quite flexible and seem to deform nicely when cornering giving a good footprint but without being squirmy.

nickc

Some conti thing GP ultra something or other. Mate uses Schwable DD, he gets all the punctures, 2 rides, 2 punctures. Mates Michelin went bang in a big way

meandyuk

bontrager race lite hard case – i'm on my 2nd set now and i've not had a single puncture! they last well too, i must have done a few thousand on my first set i reckon. They aren't that light though but they are cheap, about a tenner each…

J0N
    Free Member

Specialized armadillo range are some of the original anti puncture tyres and i consider them among the best if not the best of the lighter weight ones. I've tried gator skins which were crap and i'm currently on bontrager which are good but solid.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tough rodie tyre… Michelin Krylion Carbon or Schawlbe Duranos’ is closed to new replies.