Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tough phone cases?
  • RustySpanner

Drove over my first decent phone.
    Second one has just been ‘washed’ by grand daughter.

Ottebox seem to be recommended, but currently out of stock for my phone.

Bit pricey, are they any good?

Only alternative seems to be the £10 Amazon jobs.

What do you use?
    All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive got an otterbox, the defender with the screen protector. It would not have saved either of your phones. It also makes the phone huge. Also moisture gets in making everything smeary so you have to take the phone out and clean it after a damp ride.
    To be honest I only ever use it when I want the belt clip, if its likely to get very wet I use a loksak, otherwise I put it (and nothing else ever) in my lh pocket and after a year or so theres not a mark on it.

sofatester
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Griffin Survivor after entering the world of smartphones last year. It’s quite expensive, though when you think it’s protecting >£400 worth of technology from the elements and cack handed users it’s pretty good value.

I use it on my bars out riding, for fell runs and general phone duties. Along with being in my commuter bag in all weathers. None of the knocks it’s taken have even scratched the case, let along damaged the phone. I should say it’s not 100% waterproof so won’t really help against any Granddaughter washing incidents, though it’s never let any moisture in when i’ve been caught in a shower out in the hills.

It also has a grippy rubber cover holding it all together so using it with gloves or wet hands means you’re less likely to drop it. Also, the port covers are very tough so you’d have to try pretty hard to snap them off.

As a product i’d give it 8/10 for its intended use.

CountZero

My 6+ is in an Otterbox, and while it certainly gives protect against drops, and it might, just, have protected yours when driven over, no way would it protect against water. The screen protector is utter shite, too; on mine it bowed upwards, making it difficult to use the screen, requiring a fair amount of pressure to make a good contact. I ripped it out and bought a cheap generic tempered glass protector, which is superb, really slick, and just doesn’t really mark, far better than any plastic jobbie.
    Personally I’d get a glass screen protector and a decent wrap-around bumper-style of case, enough to protect against the case getting gouged if dropped on concrete or gravel. Cheaper and less bulky.
    Might be worth looking at a Lifeproof; you haven’t said what phone you have, so it’s possible there might not be a suitable one, but worth checking.

RustySpanner

Thanks folks.

It’s a new Moto G, CZ.
    Supposed to be waterproof, this one.
    😐

Will check out the Lifeproof/Griffin ranges.

Much appreciated.

CountZero

The waterproof bit means you’re off to a good start there, then; it’s now just a question of damage limitation should you drop it. When I got my iP5 all I had on it to start with was one of the clear plastic cases that clipped on, and a screen ‘tector, and less than a month after I got it I fumbled putting it into my pocket and dropped it onto the road, a very rough, steep tarmacced country lane, and watched as the thing cartwheeled half a dozen times down the hill!
    The only visible damage to the phone were two tiny marks on the base, one on the edge, the other by a speaker grill, nether bigger than a millimetre across. There were big dents and gouges in the corners of the case, though!
    Just find an unobtrusive clear plastic case that hives as much protection as possible without being too bulky, and put a glass screen protector on, if you can find one; they’re dirt cheap, and practically invisible, and very slippery in use, nicer than the actual screen, in some respects.

stevego
    Free Member

I have a lifeproof case, still managed to crack the screen on the iPhone in it though.

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ve got a Survivor too. It seems pretty damn unbreakable.
    Check out the YouTube videos of people throwing them at walls.
    Not tried that yet, but for protection at work it can’t be beaten.
    Make sure you have large pockets as it adds a fair bit of lovely rubberised bulk to your phone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tough phone cases?’ is closed to new replies.