Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Tough decisions ahead (dog owner content).
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Sad to say, but Toby, my 14.5 year old yellow Lab, is struggling.
    His back end is very skinny and his left rear leg is really not supporting him too well; partly because he snapped a tendon in his hock a while back.
    He’s been on medication for a while now, but the limb is failing him.
    On our shortened walks & he’s spending quite a lot of time of late falling over or involuntarily sitting down.
    So, as you’ll appreciate, as his Dad, I have the call to make at some point, not necessarily this week, but this side of Easter.

I have considered and dismissed putting him in a wheeled jig for walks as I witnessed this in an old Alsatian from our street 2 years ago and it simply prolonged the inevitable by a few months really with no appreciable reason other than to keep him going. Once his quality of life is no more or he’s in obvious pain, I will know what to do.

On the up-side, I’m going to increase his Curry consumption and spend more time with him, and since I’m a single man, I have been spending some nights cuddled up to him downstairs when it’s been below freezing outside as he’s really been feeling the cold at night. I also check he’s got a blanket over him ever 3 or so hours throughout the night.

Anyone got any special “things” they’ve afforded their four legged pals in their final days or weeks?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

It's a tough call- we were saved last year in that our old staffie/collie cross had a sudden heart attack at home but really grateful that he came into the lounge so that we were with him when he passed away.
    End of the day you will know when the time is I'm sure- won't make it any easier though!

ton

i had to have my 12 year old labbie put to sleep 5 years ago, i cried for the 1st time in my adult life.
    felt like a ba5tard for days, but it was the best thing to do.
    his back end had gone and he was messing without knowing it, so it had to be done.
    swore i would never get another dog……….

molly is 2 years old now…………..chin up mate

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes prolonging death rather than life sadly. My 17 year old arthritic old mutt got its own body weight in chocolate in her final weeks. You know the dog whatever floats his boat shame but there comes a time for us all.

bruk

What about an electric blanket to go under him? Just check it will cope with urine etc as incontinence etc can be a problem too.Check out web for heatpads designed to be used by vets/hospitals etc.

Otherwise tlc as in special food but don't let him get fat as it'll make his legs worse.

cinnamon_girl

That is very sad for you but he has done well to reach over 14. Don't wish to be heartless but why is Easter important? I perfectly understand the bond between master and dog, it is a unique one. You have to do what is right for him, do you truly believe he is in pain?

My retriever had to be put to sleep just a few days short of her 13th birthday, she had a stroke during the night. I stayed with during the night until the vet opened for an emergency appointment.

It's a horrible time for you so just cherish the good times cos there will have been plenty with a gundog, that's for sure.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Big bloke- is Molly a GSP- weve got a 18 month one- great dogs if a little highly strung- that pose is exactly the one mine is in next to me now- and he keeps stretching his stupidly long legs out and nearly knocking the laptop off my knee!

bullheart
    Free Member

Don't know how I'll cope when my old fella starts to go. I love him more than family…

jedi

my jack russell molly died of heart attack wilst i was out on a night ride. my mum rang to tell me. i cried all the way home. still miss her 🙁

carbon337
    Free Member

My springer got ran over 8 weeks ago and had his spine shattered and dislocated his leg. He has since had the ball cut of his rear right leg and his spine bolted back together. We started hydrotherapy for his recovery 5 weeks ago, he has gone from not walking at all and having to massage him so he could urinate. In 5 weeks of Hydro treatment he is now running after his ball and bouncing round in the snow.

It might be worth giving him a try at hydrotherapy sessions as the results for us have been incredible. Our dog is 7 though so Im not sure if your results would be as good.

In the days following his accident I mentioned to the wife that there was no way he was having a trolley. This was the dog that had biked/ran with me for years. I was all prepared for the inevitable after the accident but thankfully we found a really good vet surgeon who specializes in spinal injuries. I was a total wreck when I thought id loose him, grown man, 15st, 6', blubbering on like a girl. However I didnt care, he's my best pal.

Spoil your dog dog but do the right thing when you feel he needs it IMO.

ton

pop larkin, pretty sure she is just a lab.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Body defo looks more pointer like albeit it is harder to tell upside down!

We had too make the decision with our 17 year old ESS bitch last year. Really tough call be her quality of life was had to be considered.
    Gave her loads of short walks which is what she enjoyed, & loads of fish, her fav. & of course lots of personal attention.
    Just wish the Vet had been better with the neddle, really didn't help made her yelp which broke the wife's heart.

BoardinBob

My 17 year old arthritic old mutt got its own body weight in chocolate

Err…don't know how to tell you this, but that's probably what killed it!

http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/chocolate.shtml

br
    Free Member

Sorry but disagree with probably most, do the right thing and take him to the vet to be put down shortly, so at least you can remember him when at least he was ok-ish – don't prolong his agony.

And yes I've a dog person, have one currently and my folks have always had dogs.

Sandwich

See if the vet will come to you. You get to choose the time, we went to the surgery and they euthanise as the last appointment. I sobbed.

easygirl

if hes in such a bad state,do him the justice of letting him go, sooner rather than later.
    we held on to our dog last year for about a month too long, it was the hardest thing we have ever done, and i still miss her now,but i maintain it was the right thing to do, dont put it off.
    i have a tear in my eye typing this thinking of my dog
    good luck whatever you decide

cinnamon_girl

One thing that was suggested to me, and I dismissed it immediately, was using a pet crematorium and keeping her ashes. Fortunately I had a change of heart pretty quickly.

Some of her ashes have been scattered in her favourite areas including Swinley Forest. I also have some ashes at home in an urn but do keep them out of sight.

I haven't had a dog since, don't really think I could go through bereavement again. But I really want to be an Auntie and would love to be able to exercise a dog on a semi-regular basis.

goon
    Free Member

See if the vet will come to you.

Yep, we have a great vet and when it came time for our lurcher Ali to go a few years ago he made a house call. Ali was very afraid of visiting the vet, and I didn't want my last memories of him to be of his fear. He died calmly in his bed while I stroked his head. Said my goodbyes and left the room so the vet could carry him away without me seeing.

It's the last and most selfless act of kindness you can make for your dog.

takisawa2

I feel for you mate, I really do.
    I went through the same thing almost a year ago.
    CLICK
    My little Westie-Cross…Fatty McTavish, god bless him.
    It was a big relief afterwards, & I didn't regret it for a second.

Toby cant tell you how much he's suffering.
    I'll get my boys to say a little prayer for him, & give Fatty the nod to look out for him. 🙂
    Best of wishes with it mate.

Karinofnine

I've had to make the call for three of my cats, and my beloved Sam.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45613128@N07/4242615154/

He got bone cancer, by the time you notice anything it's too late and the cancer has spread. Work let me have a week off. He ate pork pies, cocktail sausages and tuna. He couldn't walk far so took him to the best bits by car and lifted him out so he could walk a bit. Vet came round and put him to sleep at home. 16.6.2006.

I feel for you Ti29er, but you gotta do what's right for your dog. Don't let him suffer.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Cheers All.
    He's fine for the mo' but neighbours have been surprised at his decline over the Xmas period & the time is approaching when I'll made the decision. His leg is causing him some obvious discomfort and getting him upright is proving very difficult for him after a long sleep.

Short walks and making sure he's warm and having some fun at least – he still thinks he's a puppy and thinks he can bite me in our games together!
    When the time comes, I'll take him up to the vet's for the final deed.

They have a service where they return the ashes in a few weeks so I'll scatter them below his favourite sun bathing spot out on the hill at the back of the property here.
    I'm also going to mention it to some locals who are all big Tobes fans. In his endless wanderings he's gather around him a wider group of acquaintances than I have ("Ah! You must be Toby's Dad" & similar such comments).

Can't vary his diet too much or go too rich as he's been incontinent for a good 6 months. He's re-decorated the downstairs a few times of late & I've become the launderette's new, best customer (£15 every 10-15 days). If only they knew!

cinnamon_girl

It will really help if someone close can come with you to the vet's. My adult son came, he was devasted, unlike my now ex-husband.

I had to clear the house of everything dog-related, hoovering for England as she moulted quite badly. But every morning I came downstairs and she wasn't there. Sorry, I'm shedding a few tears now.

Be strong.

Karinofnine

I had Sam cremated individually and have his ashes in a box. It helped. Sometimes when I'm riding in the woods I think, imagine, wonder… is there a ghost of a big yellow dog running through the trees and laughing?

Anyway, I've got Missy now and I adore her.

Good luck.

brakes
    Free Member

our family dog was similar, looking back we probably left it too long before making the decision – prolonging his suffering rather than his life – he clearly wasn't having any fun, even eating was a chore

you want to remember him for the first 14 years, not the last 6 months

Ti29er
    Free Member

No.
    I'm his Dad. I'm the one that will take him up to the Vet's – and not bring him home.

My last yellow Lab' had to be put down at almost 10 due to what must have been an ulcerated cancer somewhere within, so it was not a tough decision.
    This is somewhat more complicated, but his quality of life comes first and I'll make that judgment call when it is needed.

I'd best get the local Tandoori Take-away menu out me thinks. 🙂
    He's going to think all his Christmas's have come at once.

Goodness only know what his four legged pal, Danny, will make of being left on his own – he's like my shadow as it is, when Toby goes, I'm not sure quite what his response will be!

I'll upload some Xmas pics later.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Our 10yr old choc lab saved us the trouble by dying on us after she collapsed and was operated on, tumour on the spleen, lost to much blood internally. We waited to long with our previous dog 12yr old deerhound cross lurcher. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. Won't make that mistake again. Scattered her ashes on one of our favourite walks which coincides with a great ride over Blanchland Moor. Never have a problem getting away for a ride if I tell the wife I'm off to see Holly Dog!

montylikesbeer

dogs get into you and form part of your life, its a bit grim, what can I say.

Almost lost Monty last year when his spleen burst, the lad pulled through.

Do what you think is right for the lad and ….well dig deep.

sangobegger
    Free Member

The dogs welfare come first,and while it is an absolutely horrible thing you will have to do with your wee pal,it really is in his best interests.I was heartbroken when I lost my wee collie to cancer,but the fact that he is buried looking out onto the Fannichs is some consolation.You can never replace the space left by your 4 legged best mate,but we now have two collies that were rescued from a home that cared not a jot for their welfare,and they make the loss of my wee fella a bit easier to take.RIP Corrie!

chewkw
    Free Member

Putting out of his misery? No, not for me especially own pet(s). Our dog died at age around 18 or 20 when he was nearly deaf and blind but we kept looking after him until his last minute. Same with our cats.

Onzadog
    Free Member

People tell me I was lucky that Onza my GSD passed in the night rather than a long drawn out illness. He was just unsteady for a few days but didn't seem to be in pain. He didn't quite make ten years. The bottom line is, there's no nice way for it to happen so don't search too hard for one. Also, easier said than done, but don't feel guilty for it afterwards. Two things I will say though. A dogs tollerance of pain is much higher than that of a human so trust the vets opinion on how much he's suffering. Also, consider an individual cremation. It's more expensive but you know that what you get back are the remains of your best mate and not "token remains" from a mass cremation.

ononeorange

Ti29er – can't offer you any words of wisdom, other than what the others have said above, as we don't have a dog at present, but when the time comes happy to join you on a ride to help you get over it (I think you're round my way somewhere – near Jct 18).

Cheers Ononeorange

kerv
    Free Member

my thoughts are with you Ti29er. I lost my staffie 1 month before his 15th birthday 6 years ago, I cried like a baby. I did the individual cremation thing and scattered his ashed in the river at his favourite paddling spot. I'm sure you will know when the time is right.

hora
    Free Member

I believe dogs suffer alot more pain/endure alot simply as they are eager to please their master.

My girlfriend had a Yorkshire Terrier that was crackers about me. Used to walk with me everywhere off the lead (used to leg it asap with anyone else). At 14yrs old we decided to have him put to sleep when his back end started going. 🙁

With my westie Bingo – I wouldnt hesitate as soon as he starts to show signs of suffering. I am not a believer in keeping a dog alive just to please his owners conscience.

All the best.

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's odd isn't it?
    You wake up the morning, only to find your head has become detached from your torso, your left arm won't work and you can no longer feel your feet.
    You trundle up to the Dr's surgery and damn it!
    There's no longer a single symptom!

A slow but manageable 45 min wander around the fields is my reward for this posting. I think he's taking the Mick sometimes!.

Good days and bad days I suppose.
    Thanks for the words – it's the business of being a dog owner and comes with the territory, every 10-15 years you have a family bereavement. Not that it actually makes it any easier, even as you get older, it's difficult and heartbreaking.

Orange – I'm in Watford / Bushey. You? WD19

ononeorange

Was in Whippendell yesterday, buddy. I'm HP7 – just up by Little Chalfont. Used to be Chorleywood (with the black rabbits on the common).

Ti29er
    Free Member

Yes, that's very odd isn't it!
    I come across the Common on my 2hr weekly training ride, Ebury Way, turn off the canal path at the Coy Carp, up Shires Way, across the Common then down by the crematorium, coming into the back of WDWoods by the Clarendon.
    We should hook up some time.

ononeorange

Absolutely – occasional nightriding, but Sundays are good. A regualr route of mine, that.

Drop me an email – jamesandrews23@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Ti29er
    Free Member
    Jenga
    Free Member

It's the hardest thing you'll ever have to do – signing the bit of paper at the vet. We've just been through it, and we both cried like babies for two whole days afterwards. Nothing anyone can say will make it any easier. Deep down you'll know when the time is right, and that time is when not doing the deed is worse for the dog than keeping him alive.

You will get over it, but we're still not over the last animal we lost and that was over 2 years ago. Think positive – if you love them so much to cry over them, then they've probably had a good life. It's better for them to die in your arms than under a bush or a lorry.

It's a gut wrenching time and you have my sympathy. I'll have to go, I'm starting to weep just writing this, but things will get better – eventually.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Tough decisions ahead (dog owner content).’ is closed to new replies.