Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • tough, but not expensive bike bag/box advice. please…
  • lardman
    Free Member

In advance of Alps trip, i need to get a bike box.
    I’ve always just used cardboard ones, and then reinforced them for the trip. Means there’s no need to store them after, which is a bonus.

I’m thinking of a better (hopefully stronger, more protective) bag, but don’t want to pay £300.

Its for a large Enduro, and would prefer one that can be collapsed/folded after use for better storage. Are the flexible (non solid plastic) version any better than a strong cardboard box?

Anyone got the CRC bag? looks ok, and mid priced?

lardman
    Free Member

anyone?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Cardboard bike box coated with pva to give it a bit of waterproofing is pretty much unbeatable in terms of value, strength to weight ratio and preventing airport staff from wanting to look inside.

If anyone fancies making a large bike box from corrugated plastic I’d totally go for that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry to say after using an Evoc it’s worth every penny. Mine has been on at least 20 planes in the last year and it’s still good.
    Basic run down.
    Easy to pack
    Protected
    Reinforced where it needs to be
    Easy to move
    Easy to Haul
    Easy to lift so the handlers use the handles rather than kicking it across the floor.

Buy one and rent it to your mates for £30 a go and pay it off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@lardman – I used the duffbag I already owned together with huge amounts of cardboard, padding and pipe lagger. There was still some damage and the bag itself got ripped in one place. I would not recommend that route again. The proper bags are worth the money I think and imagine you are sat in the resort with a busted bike, you won’t be glad you saved £100-£200 if your holiday is ruined.

mildred

Whereabouts are you?

The reason I ask is because I’ve got a large Planet X bike bag that’s very robust. Wheel pockets inside and all reinforced at obvious points of wear (where axles sit/rub etc). It takes my 19″ Nicolai Helius ST, which is bloody mahoosive…!!!

I wouldn’t want a great deal for it – I just don’t use it anymore.

I’m near Nottingham.

lardman
    Free Member

Thanks for replies all…..

@mildred… i’m all the way down in Brighton. But might be an option, if you’re up for posting.
    I’ll have a look at the PlanetX one and PM you.

hmmm… food for thought.
    Ta.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘tough, but not expensive bike bag/box advice. please…’ is closed to new replies.