Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tough 700c tyres for commuting
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I think I need to re-evaluate my tyres until I can afford a cx bike. Currently on my Defy I’ve got michelin lithions in 23c form. They aren’t cutting it on my new commute as I’ve lost 3 tubes in 2 weeks (more than what I did in 2 years on lincs roads). I can only get away with a 23c tyre due to clearance with my mudguards. Has anyone got any recommendations??

scaredypants

spesh roubaix armadillo – they’re 25s but pretty small IMO
    carcass is a 23, with extra rubber on top
    (not all that grippy mind, so I wouldn’t take the piss on corners)

ton

panaracer pasela.

plus-one

Schwalbe durano on my winter big mile machine 25mm.. Come in 23mm too.. Loads of miles no issues 🙂

colin9

Continental Gatorskins. Pretty rigid but pretty puncture proof.

huw
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano are great IMO. Available in 23, 25, and now 28mm I think. I use 23mm and they seem to last ages.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Duranos for sure, 2nd winter on mine & still going strong

tonyd

Schwalbe marathon supremes here on my Pompetamine. Cheap from on-one, but doesn’t look like they have them skinny enough for you.

slugwash
    Free Member

Bontrager Hardcase. 14 quid each….

DSCN3930 by Slugwash, on Flickr

tomlevell

Conti Gator Hardshell.
    2 punctures on the rear in 2700miles inc winter and offroad still had life in them but I swapped the back as it had to be removed anyway.
    Put a hole in the sidewall at 800 miles
    Lots of cuts and holes in the tread but only 2 punctures.

These were 28s but available in 23.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Continental GP 4Season. I’ve been running either 23mm or 25mm for the past few years but switched to 28mm when the last set wore out. Fantastic tyre, I won’t be going back to 23/25 on the commuter.

I used bontrager hardcase a good few years ago, horrible wooden feel, not that puncture proof, don’t resist cuts very well. They’re £14 for a reason.

D0NK

another vote for duranos, weighty and fiddly to fit but pretty good puncture proofing, I didn’t get on with gatorskins.

scud
    Free Member

Yet another vote for Durano. Got 28c Durano S on CX bike for commute and winter bimbling and they have held up really well and have a lot more grip in wet/ gritty/ muddy corners than plasticky feeling Gatorskins.

scruff
    Free Member

Wheres best place to get Duranos? I dont mind buying from Ze Germanz.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Gatorskins or Durano Plus for me, depending on the season. Only ever had one puncture in 3 sets of Durano Plus….. and that was nail through the sidewall. Not sure you can get the Durano’s in 23 though – def 25, but they are a big 25 with the PU strip.

will
    Free Member

Another vote for Bonty Racelite Hardcase. 8000 miles. No punctures.

TiRed

Schwalbe Durano Plus in 25c (wire bead), or Marathon Plus in 25c. I’ve commuted and club ridden on both. I’ve also ridden Durano S and Durano Plus in 23c kevlar folding. The 25c are bombproof, Durano Plus are basically shaved down Marathons sans tread. Should fit under your brakes OK. I’ve never punctured a Marathon, but have eventually punctured a Durano Plus and Durano S a few times. Wider is more pothole friendly at this time of year.

Even the Marathon is not a slow tyre, and they all have very good wet weather grip.

DezB
    Free Member

Wheres best place to get Duranos?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCDUR/schwalbe-durano-folding-tyre ?

I just bought some Hutchinsons from there. They don’t appear to be recommended on this thread 🙁

ps. had enough of Contys – in the wet they puncture far too often (various models including Gator skins)

birdage

Durano Plus for me too, they seem to have been on my bike forever and I only remember one puncture. Also reassurng grip whatever the conditions. Looking to try the 28mms though, too many craters in the road for 23s!

edhornby

my commuter has a gatorskin on the back – I’ve tried them on the front but the hard compound makes them too sketchy esp in the wet, I have a lithion on the front but have had punctures, they are summer tyres only

am wondering whether to try a pro4 endurance from PX for 20quid

Gary_M
    Free Member

ps. had enough of Contys – in the wet they puncture far too often (various models including Gator skins)

I live in the west of Scotland, I commute 20 miles each way mostly in the rain on shit roads and that’s not my experience in years of using gp 4seasons.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Looks like the durano is top choice then! There are also the rages from PX with the Kevlar puncture strip.

flange
    Free Member

Are 4seasons better than gatorskins? I’ve got a set of 28mm gatorskins and they make the bike feel awful, just a really dull feeling.

BUT, I’ve never had a puncture on them and after 1500 miles the rear still has the mold strip showing..

mudmonster
    Free Member

Continental supersport plus seem pretty good. £16 from Planet x

damascus
    Free Member

For commuting gatorskin hardshell .

If you have more money 4 seasons. Not as hard wearing but a nicer Tyre and better in the wet and colder months

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

I couldn’t recommend anything specialized armadillo – I’ve got nimbus on my (crappy) hardtail which has been relegated to commuting and I’ve had 3 punctures in the last couple of weeks.

Good job I have 3 bikes!

alexpalacefan

+1 for Duranos. Tough and grippy.
    APF

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tough 700c tyres for commuting’ is closed to new replies.