Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • tough 29er rim
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

building up an off road touring bike. Want a set of 29er rims that can take a beating – all ive come up with so far are stans flows – these are not eyeletted to my knowledge and like to run at a far lower spoke tension than i would like

im also not sold on the tubeless system for touring – so doesnt have to be tubeless , 29er version of the old mavic F519 would be nice 😉

markenduro
    Free Member

sunringle eq27s have stood up to my clumsy riding pretty well so far…

BigGraham
    Free Member

Here you go: A319 or A719. Classed as "touring" rims but just stuck on my new 29er and seem fine so far :)(only 3 rides so far tho) see also My questions on this

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Halo do some good rims. I've got a set of their Freedom Disc 29er wheels and they've lasted a year before getting to the point where they need retruing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep but road touring rims big graham – im talkimg loaded off road- i know what id use on a 26 inch mtb and i know what id use on road but im not really convinced by any of the rims on the 29er market atm – the halo is winning at the moment – at this rate everything bar the frame will be from ison !

mboy
    Free Member

29er version of the old mavic F519 would be nice

Mavic TN719 is exactly that, but disc only (if that matters?)

Been using them on my 29er for months now, really impressed, very stiff and tough and not too heavy (quoted weight is 510g, weighed mine at 498 and 502g each respectively).

singlespeedstu

Terry.

I'd avoid the Halo freedom 29er rim.

I have a couple of them that have big flat spots in them.

My Stans flows on some of my other bikes have been great.

If you don't want Stans though the Mavic TN 719's on another bike have been good for a couple of years too.

BigGraham
    Free Member

Yeh I know they're classed odd but rim profile is same as 26 519 so reckon it's reasonably strong! (I think they class them like that so they don't have to admit making 29er rims!) having said that if you're talking mega loads then maybe something a bit wider would be good. Few of my odd fixie riding mates use the freedom disc's on thier polo/trick bikes and seem to think they are pretty good although again they seem a bit narrow.

ton

inore all the lightweight xc types…………… 😆

kris holm is where it is at……… 8)

samuri
    Free Member

Salsa Delgado

trail_rat
    Free Member

the kris holm looks great – 800 gram rim – maybe worth it for the peace of mind out back – pared up with a lighter front rim . althought it will be a heavy rear end with a rohloff in there too and part of me thinks it overkill.

may have a gander over to mtbr see if any of the other clydesdales are running them on 29ers see how they are getting on with them.

when i say off road touring i do mean as light as possible but long distance with **** all between – and 29er parts being as rare as hens teeth too

trail_rat
    Free Member

samuri – salsa delgrado doesnt get a very good rep for keeping tires on – unless you do their magical prairie dog dance …. have they updated the profile since that ?

shall look into the tn719 – got 26"stans 355s atm and they are fine for racing but nae guid for oot in the sticks !

AJ
    Free Member

Salsa semi rims v tough by the way

OCB
    Free Member

I run a pair of A719's (36) on my Peregrine, and was so impressed that I've built the Pompino's wheelset up on A719's too.

Decent enough width (19mm) and the deep, square rim profile (as it's a braking surface) seems to settle the tyres nicely – (which is the same reason I use EX721's on my disk-braked MTB, not EX729's).

They are not light tho', and not especially quick to accelerate on, (and getting 32 hole black was a PITA), but I'd use them again for anything that needed to carry a load, or cope with hard work / riding about in the woods.

cozmobozo
    Free Member

If your not completely set on having certain hubs then how about some complete american classic all mountain 29s? http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=243

Clink

Bonty Dusters – recommended. Used them on Bonty Rhythm wheelsets and as seperate rims.

bedmaker

Salsa Gordos. Wide, strong, eyeletted, air up easily for tubeless
    (if that is what you want)
    Been battering mine round Laggan black this week so touring shouldn't be a problem. Pricey though.
    Don't worry about the lack of eyelets on flows either. I built mine a couple of years ago now and they are as tough as old boots.

Daffy

Mavic TN719s

coastkid
    Free Member

rolling on halo freedoms and they get quite a hard time and so far no probs…also available in white! 😮

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've used a Bonty rim and it was great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

should maybe add ive got bonty mustangs 29ers atm – stripped out the stock rig wheels and hand built onto pro2s by me – and they get absolutely caned – can hold my own on many popular downhill tracks on that bike 😉

mustangs might be a way forward 😉

ampthill

thought I'd have a quick look on the st john street cycle website and turned up this

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Sun-Sun-Rhyno-700c-(622)-Alloy-Rim–Black–32-Hole-10296.htm

mocha
    Free Member

I used DRC ST19s with no trouble for fully loaded off road touring. Double eyeletted and strong, not too heavy either. Only £28 too.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Have a pair of Salsa Semi 32 h rims that I was going to sell that were part of a wheelset, £75 posted if you wanted to stray from Mavic?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-29er-wheels

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘tough 29er rim’ is closed to new replies.