Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Totem or Domain?
  • Nibsy
    Free Member

I'm looking for a 180mm Coil fork available in 1.5" steerer so have basically narrowed it down to the Rockshox Totem or Domain. There's a fair difference in price between the two so is the extra worth it for the Totems?

jam-bo

if you can afford it, get the totems.

spw3

I have 1.5 Domains and have been really impressed, esp for the price. They're stiff and feel smoother than my 888s although that may just be cack-handed set-up on my part.

My mate has totems and loves them but they cot lots more and needed fettling by TFTuned before he used them as *apparently* they are unreliable.

That may only be true of last years model though. Still worth a call to the Grumpy God of Bike Suspension before you buy.

S.

Zilog
    Free Member

I really like my Totem Coils. They started of as air ( 2 old step did not work ) and where converted to coil so in the end the same I guess. Even down to there quick lubricating ports are brilliant. The hi and lo speed compression adjust is nice and the platform is really good for puddling up the hills. Only real problem is that when the platform is on the adjust pops up and would hit the down tube on my Patriot if I fell off and the bars span round. So I just have to be positive to put it back down before I start doing anything to daft.

jedi

are domains coil?

IA

Totems are nicer and lighter if you can afford them, but probably won't make you a better rider. If the money saved is enough to say go on an uplift weekend/race to try them out, get the cheaper forks and do that. You'll be smiling more.

Having said that, I love my (air) totems longtime. They're on a DH bike tho, no pedalling uphills here. (well on that bike anyhow). Oh, and on the air vs. coil thing, I came from coil 888s (good ones, on the same bike) and I prefer the totems. Though I can see how some would prefer the 888s.

Domains are all coil. 2 versions, 150mm uturns and 180mm non-uturn ones. They also come in two damping flavours. The motion control ones are best.

What's the bike/rest of the spec like?

jedi

i just need coils. no need for bells and whistles 🙂
    cheers

Bosh
    Free Member

New fox 36 180mm?

spw3

Jedi,

Domains are indeed coils. Rebound and compression adjusters and that's yer lot. I Set mine up once and haven't touched them since.

S.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have had Domain coils and totem solo air's and for general mucking about they don't feel a worl apart, but on a long tech downhill the totems were much better damped and a lump lighter too. They feel very much like a coil fork.

My totems were reliable for the time I used them, although they did leak a little oil from the lowers after a day of DH with fair sized jumps, ie the Cwmcarn hip.

Jedi – for messing about at Woburn or Herts the Domains are still pretty good.

toys19
    Free Member

I've got a set of totem coil 1.5 I'm thinking of selling.. email in profile.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have a almost brand new set of Totem Solo Airs for sale if they are of interested. They are a 1.5" to 1 1 1/8 Tapered stearer. Selling complete with tapered headset.

They have only done about 3 days riding.

PM me if interested, will be a couple hundred cheaper than new 🙂

Bazzer

jedi

im after a 1.5" steerer fork for the bottlerocket. i got marz 55s but i would like a 1.5 steerer or tapered one. 6inch fork . whats out there?
    lyrics? i just want rebound and maybe compression adjustmments

chakaping
    Free Member

I've owned a Domain 318 (the one with Motion Control) and now have a Totem coil 1.5.

The Domain was a brilliant fork. Stiff, not too heavy, bombproof and performed well on everything apart from fast bumpy stuff. But even then it wasn't that bad.

Picked the Totem up from Merlin for £400. It's around the same weight, stiffer, smoother and has lots more adjustments (too many for me if I'm honest).

If you're looking secondhand, it seems you can get decent Domains for £150-£200 and Totems for £250-£350. Worth the extra at that price. Maybe not if you're paying RRP new though.

FuzzyWuzzy

Shame about the 1.5 requirement Jedi, have unused 1 1/8th Domain 308's you could have had dirt cheap. Can recommend the 1.5 Totems though (got mine cheap from Merlin to).

jedi

i think i want 6inch fork for the b-rocket. hmmmm

chakaping
    Free Member

Did yours leak oil everywhere too Fuzzy?

Forgot to say mine have just been warrantied and had new seals and compression adjuster O-ring fitted.

Think I was told it was '09 when they started fitting decent seals from new.

FuzzyWuzzy

Nah my Domains came on a Froggy I bought, I just decided to get a Totem cheap to replace them without ever trying them, so only had a brief car park test's worth of use.

Nibsy
    Free Member

Realistically the extra in price probably means waiting another few weeks till next pay day, but I'm building it up from scratch and will probably still be waiting for a few parts or still fitting some by then.
    Marin Quake 7.9 Frame with Maxle back end and Marz. Roco TST2 Coil Shock, Saint Hubs on EX325 rims.

Nibsy
    Free Member

Fuzzy, when did you get your Totems from Merlin? They haven't any 1.5 on the website. I contacted them asking if they could some which they said they could but would be expensive as only a single order for myslelf.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fuzzy – I was talking about my Totem being leaky.

Mine's on a Froggy too. Whereabouts do you ride?

chakaping
    Free Member

when did you get your Totems from Merlin?

They sold out of the cheap ones a while ago.

FuzzyWuzzy

@chakaping – not really riding it atm as don't want to break myself before a trip to Spain :p (no leaks from the Totems yet though…). But usually Bristol/South Wales area. Out of interest on your Froggy does your front mech cable clamp bolt face into the frame so you can't access it? I bought Saint shifters for it but haven't figured out how to fit the front shifter yet as I won't be able to tighten the cable clamp 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

It's not here at the moment to have a look, sorry.

Send me an email (address in profile) and I'll have a butcher's when I get it back.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Totem or Domain?’ is closed to new replies.