Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Totally OT- What to do in Beijing for two days
  • ads-b
    Free Member

Am over for a weekend next week on my own. No idea what to do and not a sightseeing type of guy. Any suggestions for a weekend activities for someone with a short attention span on their own?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am heading there myself shortly, will paste some ideas from work colleagues at some point tomorrow s I ave a few of them saved away!

Garry_Lager

I was there about 5 years back, so not that up to date. Even if you don’t like sightseeing I reckon the Forbidden city is a must see – top drawer.
    We went to the great wall as well – there’s two popular wall destinations from Beijing. One (Badaling?) is the popular tourist one just to take a look at it. We went to another spot were you can take a 10k walk along it. Absolutely recommended, great experience. Did it in early September and the humidity wiped me out, quite a hilly walk and the heat made it hard work – need to take a lot of water. Only drawback I guess is that it’s quite a lot out of your day – it was a 1.5-2 hr coach trip as I recall.

Try and get some concrete recommendations on restaurants (none here, sorry) – you want to get a nice Chinese meal and it’s hard to know what’s good just walking around.

project
    Free Member

Have a chineese takeaway……

Lifer
    Free Member

Free Tibet protest? Time will fly.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

don’t try to hitchhike from Tianamen Square

locomotive

Visit the Summer Palace.

Visit Tiananmen Square and point out it isnt very square.

Marvel at the number of KFC franchises.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Forbidden City, Great Wall, Ming Tombs. Try to avoid government sanctioned stall holders trying to sell you jade, chopsticks, and other assorted pap.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Right, back in the office now, so a few things that have been suggested to me (Haven’t been as yet, but had asked colleagues in advance!)

Yin Bar – rooftop bar with a great view.
    The “hutongs” – Classic Chinese alleyways, like all those films!
    The market/food at Wangfujing

Oh, and was also recommended all the usual temples/Great Wall/Etc.

Travis

bring your shoes and helmet, you can come and ride the local trails, or ride Beijing Olympic course.
    Thats Sat morning.
    Tian An’Men in the afternoon, walk up Jing Shan Park have a look over the Forbidden City.
    Sat eve.. Da Dong Roast Duck, followed by Bar Street in San Li Tun
    Sun, Mu Tian Yu Great Wall (if not too tired)
    Sun afternoon, you can run with the Beijing Hash, which will be through some Hutongs and finish in a good restaurant with lots of local beer.

Or let me know what sort of thing you want to see, and I can come up with some suggestions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Totally OT- What to do in Beijing for two days’ is closed to new replies.