Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Total Hip Replacement and mountain biking
  • dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if any of you out there have had a total hip replacement, and if so, how you find cycling afterward.

Irritatingly, thanks to some dodgy genes, I seem to have developed fairly advanced osteoarthritis, and am looking at needing a total hip replacement, sometime around my 40th birthday.

I know cycling is considered to be perfectly possible, and even recommended after such an operation, but I am keen to find out more, and possibly hear from those who have first hand experience of it.

Any comments would be welcome.

DTAW

FOG

One of my cycling mates had this a couple of years ago and he seems fine. The quacks said don’t run and gentle cycling but he has competed in the last two euro triathlon championships and is doing the worlds in Hyde Park next month as well as mtbing regularly without any ill affects!

mt
    Free Member

No helpful comments other than good luck to you. Why not ask the CTC, their magazine Cycle often has questions regarding issues similar to yours.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

FOG of course he will be fine now, but when he needs revision in 10 years time when they normally last 20+, and the revision isn’t great because the bone is quite knackered around the implant, then he might just regret it.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

Thanks folks, that is helpful. I am a believer in quality of life being important. I have already had to give up running, and while I am unhappy about it will live with that, but I won’t give up cycling as well.

I am interested in what a realistic interpretation of “gentle” cycling may be. I doubt I will fall into that category willingly. Hoping mountain biking will still be possible, without unduly accelerating the need for revision.

Lets see.

ratherbeintobago

FOG of course he will be fine now, but when he needs revision in 10 years time when they normally last 20+, and the revision isn’t great because the bone is quite knackered around the implant, then he might just regret it.

I will bow to Mrs FunkyDunc’s better knowledge of the mechanics of bone remodelling* but I thought that, unlike road cycling, MTBing was good for bone strength?

Andy

*I just keep them still while the men with hammers do their stuff.

anagallis_arvensis

dogtiredandwired, have any other options been suggested first, I have had 3 lots of surgery on my to repair cartilage and re shape bones, seems to be putting off the THR so far.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Rather I was referring to the running for triathlon and all the hours of running that must include.

sargey

DTAW,I had a hip resurfacing three years ago after wearing it out doing years of sport and developing arthritis.A resurfacing is when they put a cup into the socket and a cap on the ball joint which does’nt take so much bone away from both surfaces,in other words they are more or less sat on top of the existing bone with just a little shaved off then glued into place.the only down side of this is it makes your leg about 8mm longer than the other one.
    As for cycling after i did the coast to coast 2 years after my op and am doing 50 miles plus a week off road.
    I have got other issues with my knackered body but not the hip and yes it will wear out but so will everthing else, cheers.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

Thanks All,

Anagallis Arvensis, I have been discussing options with my surgeon. Sadly, I am one of those who suffered little pain as the arthritis developed, so was unaware until the cartilage had pretty much gone completely. On the plus side, that was two years ago so have managed it reasonably well so far.

Sargey, my surgeon is reluctant to do a resurfacing because of recent research into their longevity. I think this is one to wait and keep an eye on for me. It is good to hear that so many people are managing to keep peddling though. Makes me feel a little less depressed.

It is a bad day today after I stubbornly walked all over Belfast yesterday. I should have known better but was not going to be dissuaded by common sense. Paying the price today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Total Hip Replacement and mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.